|Email Page||Printer Friendly Version||Submit a Report|
I had a difficult time keeping my Perception Eclipse balanced and under control with the large following swells. It was a constant struggle to stay balanced with the following and often confused seas churning in every direction like a washing machine. A few times I came very close to capsizing. Tom appeared to have more control over his Hobie Pursuit sit on top. With these conditions and the immediate threat of a thunderstorm, however, we knew it was going to be impossible and unwise to continue on our 2- 3 mile northward course to the North Carolina Aquarium so we decided to abort our mission and just try to stay focused on getting back safely to our takeout. Although I was intensely focused on keeping my boat upright throughout this trip, I still got to see a few Black Pelican squawking on some pilings.
We landed on a deserted beach before we paddled back into the canal to take a breather and plan out the best way for making it back to the canal safely. The beach would have been more relaxing if I knew I didn't have to fight the larger than normal swells and fear of capsizing on the return trip. Although I had my doubts about making it back to the canal without capsizing, we followed the plan we discussed and did make it back safely. I was in no mood to practice my first wet exit in these rough waters.
The moderate to difficult rating on this trip was largely a result of the fierce winds, and confused seas. Under more favorable conditions, this should be a fairly easy trip.