Sudbury River - Kayak Trip / Canoe Trip
Submitted by: itfaster
Sudbury River starts from Cedar Swamp Pond (Westborough) and ends at Egg Rock (Concord). Total length is about 32 miles.
I have made multiple trips in early summer of 2011 and covered about 22 miles of river from Winter Street (Framingham) to Egg Rock using my WildSystem Pamlico 120. I will try to cover the remaining upstream portion of the river when water lever is higher in the fall. I can't wait to share some experience with all of you. I hope my journey can provide some helpful suggestion when you plan your trip.
Good access point for kayak:
From upstream to downstream, using Latitude and Longitude
- Saxonville Dam (Framingham): Location: 42.3247, -71.4023
- Little Farms Land (Framingham): Location: 42.3345, -71.3943
- Rt 20 (Wayland): Do I have to put it?
- Sherman's Bridge (Wayland): Location: 42.3966, -71.3643
- Sudbury Rd (Lincoln): You have to carry it about 20 yards
- Eggrock (Concord): Location: 42.466, -71.3558
Key characteristic of each part of river
- Winter Street (Framingham) to Central Street (Framingham)
Quiet surroundings, occasional residential houses visible, a few fallen trees
- Central Street (Framingham) to Fenwick Dam (Framingham)
Parallel along the Mass Pike, you will know what kinds of sounds you can expect
Be careful for two dam if you keep going downstream.
- Fenwick Dam (Framingham) to Saxonville Dam (Framingham)
Quite a few white water lilies, river surface seen dirty oil (from residential around?)
- Saxonville Dam (Framingham) to Little Farms Land (Framingham)
Quite a few shallow spots, rapid, need some effort if paddle upstream
- Little Farms Land (Framingham) to Sherman’s Bridge (Wayland)
Very quiet surroundings, not much of residential house visible, slow water,
Upstream of Pelham Island is swan’s favorite spot, occasionally high trees on both side of river
- Sherman’s Bridge (Wayland) to Eggrock (Concord)
River is wide open at Fairhaven bay, you start to see other kayaks/boats when you approaching South Bridge Boat rental house.
I use Everytrail apps to keep trip log along with pictures taken during the trip. You can find more information if you search ‘sudbury river’ in Everytrail.com
Great Products from the Buyers' Guide: