I had been stung many times in my life to no ill effect.
Then five years ago, I was stung by a paper wasp while I was standing on the front porch minding my own business. Within half an hour every place I had been stung in the past 20 years swelled up and started to itch. I mentioned it to friend who is a doctor, and she said that was a bad sign and I needed to be very careful.
The next year I was stung in the ankle by a yellow jacket while I was mowing the lawn and ended up in the hospital after I turned into one giant hive. The ER took me in front of a guy who had a really ugly looking compound fracture. That was when they told me I had to keep an epi-pen around.
Interestingly, as a result of my Wilderness first aid class I now carry benadryl and an epi pen. The doctor who was running the class told my wife to go with the benadryl first and, then, at any sign of anaphilactic shock, go with the Epinephrine. He said that the epi-pen can have its own issues with older people and you don't want to be dumping epinephrine into their bloodstreams without really good reason.
Last week my wife saw me running full tilt across the lawn dragging the lawn mower behind me. She went for the benadryl without asking any questions! I was stung mid-run by a large angry flying critter through my heavy shirt into a "large fatty area". It hurt like hell for over a week, but I think the 'large fatty area" must have absorbed the venom.
Those little guys are really dangerous .... and just because you've never had a problem doesn't mean you won't!
Rescue / Throw Bags
Canoe / Kayak Anchors
|Table of Contents|