Your #1 source for kayaking and canoeing information.               FREE Newsletter!
my Profile
 





2-6 Day Kayaking Trips
San Juan Islands
Camping & Inns
www.crystalseas.com/KayakCamp
 
Advice, Suggestions and General Help New Topic Printer Friendly Version

  well....
  Posted by: bowler1 on Jun-16-13 10:42 AM (EST)
 

It is good to have an offside roll in situations where coming up on your strong side is working against the current. In these situations it can be hard to get your paddle up to the surface of the water to set up.

Also is necessary in the unlikely situation that you are up against a rock or a cliff, etc. where setting up on your strong side is impossible.

Generally is not necessary in surf, but could be helpful when windowshaded with the breaking wave on your weak side.

Additionally, I liked watching what Turner Wilson did in the latest This is the Sea video.

When a wave to his side was about to break on him, he would roll down the surface of the wave and then come back up. I hate getting bashed by steep breaking waves abeam. Largely because I always fear my shoulder safety when high bracing and getting side surfed. Never has been a problem but I still don't care for it. I think this technique could be useful and would require a roll on both sides.

Although I agree with Greg Stamer in that 95% of the time you can roll up on your strong side. Being prepared for the other 5% is pretty important though if you paddle in big conditions or solo a lot.

I recently have started practicing my offside roll again after not having used it for years.

Matt

 Great Products from the Buyers' Guide:

Rescue / Throw Bags

Touring Kayak Paddles

Canoe Roost

Boat Loader

Paddling Gloves

Table of Contents

Google
 
Web Paddling.net


Follow us on:
Free Newsletter | About Us | Site Map | Advertising Info | Contact Us

Sweepstakes

©2014 Paddling.net Inc.