Your #1 source for kayaking and canoeing information.               FREE Newsletter!
my Profile

Advice, Suggestions and General Help New Topic Printer Friendly Version

  I think it makes little sense
  Posted by: Kocho on Apr-18-13 4:43 PM (EST)

-- Last Updated: Apr-18-13 4:46 PM EST --

To have a WW crossover like the XP for the flat waters if one is also getting a river runner. The XP will indeed work very well for going down class 3 and 4 but will be sluggish on flat water.

These cross overs are very good for multi day tripping in WW, but will be boring on flat water... As Sapien said, a short touring kayak in the 13-15 foot range will be nicer and is fully capable of class 2 water, unless the creek is really narrow and obstructed. Of course, one can float down high-flow flat water in just about anything, but if one wants to paddle, then a faster boat makes sense.

The crossovers will be very comfy and reassuring though and probably the OP will be happy with them for his intended purpose too. Just if he will be getting a long river runner like the Burn, it makes more sense to me to get an even longer more touring oriented boat for the mainly flat and easy WW stuff... However, because the crossovers are actually very good at serious WW, then one can just paddle them there and not get another long WW river runner like the burn, but instead get a playboat ;)

 Great Products from the Buyers' Guide:

Classic Freestanding Rack

Kayak Sak


Paddling Jackets

Touring Kayak Paddles

Table of Contents


Follow us on:
Free Newsletter | About Us | Site Map | Advertising Info | Contact Us


©2015 Inc.