Your #1 source for kayaking and canoeing information.               FREE Newsletter!
my Profile

Advice, Suggestions and General Help New Topic Printer Friendly Version

  People should call a dent a "dent"
  Posted by: guideboatguy on Feb-28-13 11:06 AM (EST)

-- Last Updated: Feb-28-13 11:15 AM EST --

"Oilcanning" has a very specific meaning that has absolutely nothing to do with dents or other static deformation. Misuse of the word just encourages others to do the same, because few people nowadays know what a flexible-base oil can is or how it works. Of course, everyone has seen "The Wizard of Oz", but how many make the connection between the oil can used in the movie and the word that describes its pumping mechanism?

A boat who's bottom goes "poppa-poppa" when going over waves is oilcanning, but I've hardly ever seen that and I'd dare suggest in most cases the hull is merely "flexing", not oilcanning. That may be a minor quip, but calling a dent "oilcanning" isn't even remotely close to accurate.

 Great Products from the Buyers' Guide:

Dry Tops

Wall Mount Boat Racks

Fishing PFD's

Paddler's Truck Rack

Table of Contents


Follow us on:
Free Newsletter | About Us | Site Map | Advertising Info | Contact Us


©2015 Inc.