Your #1 source for kayaking and canoeing information.               FREE Newsletter!
my Profile

Advice, Suggestions and General Help New Topic Printer Friendly Version

  Randy you should have authorization
  Posted by: kayamedic on Feb-04-13 7:08 PM (EST)

with the HIN indicated signed by the owner along with a phone number.

Otherwise Douanes Canada is going to look at your extra boat with a jaundiced eye as to whether it is for sale. The worst case is that they will assume it is and want to collect tax due the Province.

I cross to Canada probably six times a year with boats. And have each year since 1963. Any time there is a mismatch in number of boat seats with the number in the car there is apt to be questions.

Last time I brought a boat in for sale I was introduced to the possibility of jail as I did not have the bill of full sale nor a document authorizing me to have the the boat. I declared the boat at half the price the buyer paid. And anything less than half the price could buy one a visit to a barred motel room. Canada Douanes (customs) gave me a warning for a lack of an authorization letter.

Most crossings are routine...two people one boat..or one boat one person and get no notice, but with enough crossings one eventually gets different experiences.

 Great Products from the Buyers' Guide:

Paddle Floats

Kayak & Canoe Outriggers

Full Size Sail Rig


Table of Contents


Follow us on:
Free Newsletter | About Us | Site Map | Advertising Info | Contact Us


©2015 Inc.