-- Last Updated: Jan-31-13 6:17 AM EST --
We bought two 78's and are returning them today.
As far as we are concerned, they are not an up grade, but have degraded.
The only thing better with them is catching the satellites quicker.
1. The screens and read outs are smaller
2. the north point is smaller
3. You need a magnifying glass to read the scale
4. If you want to find the tide, and find a station. Once you find it and hit "go", it wants to navigate you to the tide station. Instead you have to hit "menue" and then "review", (absolutey) stupid!
5 When you finally get the tide graph, instead of a moveable cross hair to find the tide in relation to the time of day, they have fine lines at every hour, (so fine you need a magnifying glass to see them. Then when you finally locate a line, there is no time shown on the screen, and when you go to another screen with the time, you lose the tide chart
6. the graphics are not nearly as clear as the 76Cx
7. Final straw was changing the batteries for the first time the other day, and when I removed them, the tiny flimsy metal cover for the map chip that they stupidly put under the batteries, flipped out with the batteries. Luckily I was sitting at the table. If I was in the kayak it would have been long gone.
If you are into geocaching it might be good, but for our use, the 76CX has it all over the 78
I would advise anyone who is thinking of up grading: don't waste your money.
Unfortunately they stopped making the 76Cx and no one has any to sell. We luckily scored one on E-bay which we grabbed.
I hope someone from Garmin reads this, since they don't seem to want to answer my e-mail
Electric Kayak Motor
Shirts / Tops
|Table of Contents|