The Dump is a fast, simple way to empty a boat for a kayaker who has a solid roll and a helpful friend.
After a cowboy rescue or after a re-enter and roll, the Dump is good for getting water out of the boat. And in dynamic waters, you don't have to get a person back into the water. You can simply just roll the boat over with them in it, and empty the boat out.
A couple of key points to make the dump easier on you:
For someone that knows how to roll, The Dump is a great, fast, and very simple rescue.
- Make sure that you edge towards the roller as they come up on your boat, or as you pull them up.
- As you roll the boat over toward you, edge away.
- It's really important for the roller to fully capsize and wait about three seconds to make sure that the boat gets fully drained.
- As the roller starts to roll up, it's important to assist rolling them back up, and getting the boat off edge so that they can come up in a stable position.Demonstrated by Shawna and Leon from
Related Videos - Unique Kayaking Skills:
More Articles• Scramble (Cowboy) Recovery
• Wet Entry
• The Scramble Self-Rescue
• Classic T-Rescue with Variations
Select Kayak to View in Buyers' Guide