Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Woodsman Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Woodsman Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

03-15-2007
Submitted by: Brant FurrSend Email

This boat is a very good boat, it was the first boat I had ever bought. I bought it second-hand, and it already had a skeg attached to the back. This summer I took a week long, 200+ mile trip on the Wabash River in this boat and it did a great job. I started the trip in the boat fairly overweight, and it still handled O.K. Just as the other reviews on this site say, with the skeg up it tends to turn when you stop paddling, but with the skeg down it is a whole new boat. It has very high initial stability and is a very good boat for the price I paid. A little bit heavy, but durable. I paddle the river near my house quite frequently. It has some class II rapids, and the boat does an excellent job. I would by lying if I said I had never nailed any rocks, and the boat has held up so far... All in all, a really good boat first time boat for me, and I recommend it to anyone else looking to do anything from day trips to multi-day outings on fairly flat rivers.

06-07-2004

First, a little about me. I'm a big guy, 6'1", 230. I've had a lot of canoe experience, but this was my first kayak. I paddle mostly on the Potomac river. Day stuff is usually playing in I and II whitewater or around Rocky Gorge reservoir, which is a quiet, winding lake nearby. I also camp on the river frequently, anywhere from just overnight, to a week. I have no experience at all on the ocean and have never had this boat out there.

I wanted to buy a kayak that would be efficient and comfortable for long trips, but not so much so that it wouldn't be a decently quick handler or be awkward in whitewater. I also wanted it to be samll and maneurverable enought that it would be fun to take out just for a couple of hours after work and it had to be able to carry a reasonable amount of gear comfortably. I think the Woodsman fits the bill perfectly.

I was nervous about going from a canoe, where I could move around, to being cooped up in a kayak all day paddling, but the Woodsman was surprisingly comfortable. I have a temperamental back, but I still feel pretty good after being in the seat all day for days on end. One weird thing is that, after my first week long trip, one of my toes was numb for almost a month. My kayaking shoes have zero support and I wear a size 12, so that's probably why, but I guess it's worth mentioning. I liked the foot braces fine, though. They adjusted very easily and felt sturdy.

One of the things that I initially wanted was a front hatch, but I actually think I like it better without one. Those front hatches are pretty tiny and without one, I can just load up a giant waterproof bag and stuff it down past the foot braces. I only keep clothes, tarp, and sleeping bag in there, so I can also push my feet into it and stretch my legs during the day without worrying about wrecking anything.

The rear hatch is plenty big, although I recommend two medium bags instead of one big one back there just to make things a little easier. I've never had a problem with it leaking. There's also plenty of room behind the seat for a day bag to keep all your little stuff in. I camp light generally and this boat was perfectly sized to carry a week's worth of gear and some luxury items like a Crazy Creek chair and a radio.

Right after I bought my Woodsman, I went on a week long trip with a friend who has a fifteen and a half foot long Liquid Logic Seneca. This friend is also a good fifty pounds lighter than me and in much better shape, although I do have a little more paddling experience. I was worried that I'd be killing myself to keep up with him the whole time, but I actually seemed to get by with less effort than he did. I don't know how much of that is experience or efficiency or what, but it seems like a plus that the Woodsman was able to do just fine alongside a longer, narrower boat carrying less weight.

That said, it is a bear to learn on this thing. As others have said, it refuses to go in a straight line on its own. The second I stop paddling, I get a quick u-turn and stop. While this is pretty comical to watch, it's fairly annoying, especially when starting out. I blew a lot of energy the first couple of days getting the hang of handling this problem. Also, it didn't seem to be weathercocking. While it does turn into the wind, the turning when you're not paddling seemed independent of wind or current or anything. Once you get a feel for it though (or if you're more experienced to begin with, I'm sure), it only takes a touch here and there to keep it on a straight line. Tracking isn't even something I think about any more. Still, it would be nice to be able to take a drink or a picture and not swing around.

One thing that's really nice about the Woodsman is that it feels totally comfortable in whitewater. That first trip went by Harper's Ferry and through some good rapids. There were long sections of class II and several spots of class III and this boat felt great in all of them. The hull's rockered a bit and the keel is very small. It turns very tight, sheds waves reasonably, and just generally feels at home when it's rough. I play a lot in the I's and II's further down, near Violette's Lock, and the Woodsman handles like a dream sliding into eddies, hopping them upstream, surfing small waves, and doing anything else out there. I can't roll it yet, but in practicing wet exits it turns over smoothly and easily.

When I first bought the Woodsman, I figured it would be a nice, cheap way to get into kayaking and that if I liked it as much as canoeing, I'd buy a nicer boat and keep it as a second. But, after looking at lots and lots of boats (and getting a big increase in pay in the meantime), I can't think of any reason to. I think this is the perfect river, camping, and whitewater boat and I couldn't recommend it more highly.

07-31-2003

Update: I've installed a makeshift skeg I made from some plastic using another kayak to judge the dimensions and now I have a perfect tracking boat. I thought "maybe if this shows some promise I will buy the $200 kit from Wilderness." I can honestly say the responce from the skeg is so good it's a different boat. When I stop paddling it goes straight! Just made a good boat better....

04-21-2003

Terrific poly 14'6" value boat. I own a Necky Looksha Sport 14'4" and rave about it to everyone so I was looking forward to testing my girlfriends new Woodsman, especially since it cost less than half. I can honestly say I am impressed! This boat retails for $399.00 & a $39.00 credit towards accessories at Galyans. It comes with a sealed hatch and deck rigging front and rear. It's not light at 57lbs. We had heard it weathercocks and yes, it does, but if your technique can adapt to this boat it's not a bother. I found it easy to learn to paddle straight in a short time. It's extremely stable, turns very good, and certainly a lot faster than anything else in this price range.

Small enough for small rivers and large enough for ocean bays. You could spend $300-$400 for a lot of 10-12' boats and wish you had something longer but then maybe you always wish you had something longer until you have to carry it for a distance. I guess 14-15' is a nice size for me and where I live in MA. We just couldn't find anything 14' for less than $800.00 Compared to other $399 boats its a 10+ compared to other 14' boats its still an honest 7.5.

07-18-2002

This is apparently an older W/S boat that Galyans (Sporting goods chain store) bought the rights to. It has front and rear deck rigging, Adjustable foot braces, fully padded seat with adjustable back, Rear hatch with bulkhead... A touch heavy at 57lb, and some of the hardware doesn't match perfectly... BUT this boat can be had for $399 plus a $39 accessory discount. I've had it in still water, and out on a small lake. It cuts through the powerboat wakes, and small waves with no issues. I'm having a little trouble tipping it up for turns, but the boat is rated for 300lb, and I'm only 180 (plus it's most likely designed with a high initial stability) I tried a bunch of boats prior to this, and it just feels more solid, plus I couldn't beat the price for a fairly well outfitted boat, that doesn't punish me too badly when I goof up.

This is the same boat as the Trinity Bay Venture, and The Wilderness Systems Seacret. The Trinity Bay currently sells in canada for ~$600 US and the Seacret is discoed...

Rendezvous River Sports