Product Reviews > Accessories > Immersion Research BackRatchet Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Immersion Research BackRatchet

Rated: 9.7/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Research Boat Accessories / Boat Outfitting in the Buyers' Guide!

05-27-2013

In my WS Zephyr 155 I was having issues getting the setting "just right" with the back band system. The factory phase 3 system is very good but the back band had a a way of slipping down unless very tight. I replaced it with a IR lounge band and instant comfort. The band still allows for full rotation and laying back flat but will not slip down. very easy to install after watching the internet video. The fittings and webbing are superior to the factory back band and seem to be of top notch quality.

If you are looking for a seat that feels like a rec boat lounge chair this is not your product. It is a very comfortable well built product. The only reason I did not score it higher is that for some people it may ride a little high and could interfere with a low fitting PFD.

04-09-2009
Submitted by: Mike H

I have the newer IR Lounge backband in my Warren Little Wing. In my other kayaks I often get excruciating back pain in a little as one-half hour. With the IR Lounge, I can paddle pain free for a long as I want. It looks and works great. Highly recommended.

11-03-2006

IR Reggie? Simply brilliant! I have a capella RM166 and the OE backband was utterly naff- too flimsy, too high and if you self rescue the ladder method not only will you end up sitting on it but it will end up ratcheted all the way forward..it had to go! In conjunction to moving the seat back 50mm I fitted the IR Reggie. It's now lower than the cockpit, more supportive and very comfortable. It took a bit of thinking as to where the ratchet fittings would go(NOT the existing holes- new ones drilled on the upper side-rear of the seat near to the cockpit rim, they leave the seat fitting almost horizontal(flat) and twist 90 dgerees and then down), the bungees were not needed and the webbing straps secure it to the seat at the bottom via a slot where the old backband was pushed in. A top bit of kit for the money!

07-17-2006

We use a pair of IR touring ratchet backbands in our 18' Kevlar/ Fiberglass Kanoe Latvija tandem kayak. Comfortable cruising and easy to change positions when sprinting. We like'em!

01-14-2004

This is for an IR Reggie ratcheting backband installed in a whitewater boat. The Reggie is the best whitewater backband I've ever used, period. It's comfortable, instantly adjustable, and it will not slip or lose adjustment under pressure. I don't know how well the ratchets would hold up to constant salt water use (the hardware appears to be stainless), but for whitewater, I'll never use anything else.

12-12-2002

Tore out the factory backband in my Avocet and replaced it with the IR Touring Backband. Cheap, easy, perfect fit. No hassles, questions or regrets. And it lets me lay back and roll like a dream. Doesn't slip down either.

12-09-2002
Submitted by: Jim P.Send Email

I'm not sure how to say how much I've enjoyed having this backband in my Pintail, except to say that I've just taken delivery of an Azul Sultan, and the first thing I'll do to it (even before adding a foot pump) is to change the existing backband to an IR ratchet: it's really that good!

10-15-2002
Submitted by: G. BaldwinSend Email

We have two Pyranha 2-year-old WW kayaks, both delivered with those flimsy, basically non-adjustable styrofoam backbands. I have now installed IR ratchet backbands in both kayaks (very easy if you have a very high speed drill to make clean slots) and the difference is like night and day! This backband is comfortable, supportive, easy to ratchet and stays high if you also install the elevator straps. If you have a lousy backband in your kayak, don't even think about it - just get one of these, the sooner the better! It isn't often there's a product you can call perfect, but this backband is Perfect - design, installation, adjust-ability, comfort and support!

09-30-2002

Best I've ever seen or used!!! Easy to reaease if there is not a lot of room behind your seat! I ownthe NSI ratcheting (great but does not release as easily) and bomber gear non ratcheting (see review), and have checked out a lot of boats and gear. I am a competant sea kayaker with a roll etc

07-18-2002

I put one on my '99 Looksha IV just last month. Great boat, miserable seatback. The IR Touring Backband is a huge improvement. Virtually perfect.