Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mainstream Kayak > Tango Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tango Kayak by Mainstream Kayak

Rated: 7.89/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

08-12-2011

We have Mainstream Tango Tandem Sit on Top kayak for last 8 years. We paddled on it on Potomac river, big lakes - Smith Mountain Lake, VA; Lake Lure SC; Chesapeake Bay, even in ocean. It is very stable, fast enough. I didn't notice difference compare to Ocean Kayak Malibu tandem. It tracks better, compared to couple single kayaks I tried. I do fishing from this kayak too. After 8 years of use, it is still doing great. I paddle with my wife on it, or myself; often taking 1 or 2 kids with us.
10 of 10 after 8 years of use!

01-23-2006
Submitted by: LMZSend Email

The mainstream tango tandem is a great buy. I purchased mine from Dicks Sporting Goods at the end of winter for $257 to use on our summer vacations at the beach. I checked out every sit on top there is, and the tango was right up there with them. Mainstream may not have the brand recognition that ocean kayak and others have, but it is certainly in the pack and worth every cent you'll spend. By the way, the tango surfs great in the waves with one or two people, and it is also fun to paddle around off-shore with the dolphins.

03-04-2005
Submitted by: ToddSend Email

I purchased the Tango with two Surf to Summit backrests, and two Estuary paddles for $400 at Costco a few years ago. My daughter started paddling with me when she was 5 (now 9) and she and I love the Tango. It has been to FL, WV, VA, OH, IN. I toss it in the back of the pickup, strap it on top of the minivan and the kids use it as a sled in the winter. As far as I am concerned, this is a bulletproof little craft. I have a Scanoe with a 5hp outboard and will tow it to remote coves and let the kids have a ball on it. Poor thing bakes in the summer, freezes in the winter and still shows no signs of hull warp.

11-02-2004
Submitted by: MarkSend Email

I bought 2 of these Mainstream Tangos last autumn at the Sports Authority. I was going to buy one at $400, but when I realized they "end-of-season-clearance" priced at only $200 I bought two of them. I don't expect they're as quite as good compared to kayaks costing over $1000/each, but for we've found them to be very good, and LOADS of family fun. And for $400 you'd be hard pressed to get a family of 5 on the water on kayaks for less money.

We have 3 children under the age of 8 and we all fit on these two kayaks comfortably. We don't got out on two day trips, but we take them to the lake and paddle to small island and go turtle watching for a couple of hours at a time. We'll be taking them to Florida soon.

We've enjoyed them and consider them a great kayak, even at the regular price. For a young family, they are GREAT!

08-25-2004

Just sold my Tango thanks to paddling.net, not because I was unhappy with it, because my teenager didn't want to be stuck on the same boat with Dad. The Tango worked very well for me, we used it on rivers and creeks and it rode waves and wakes well, very stable. Didn't do any fishing but I think it would work OK for that too. I moved it 80 miles on a hot August day on top of my Honda and didn't notice any problems, carried it inverted. It's not perfect but it does a lot of things well. On top of that it was an economical entry into the world of kayaking. I'm sure it's not what everyone needs but it was a good yak for me.

07-19-2004
Submitted by: jrSend Email

I perchased this kayak at sports authority store. It was just under 400$ and it is not worth it. I to give bad reviews on things but this is different. this kayak it the worst one that i have ever purchased. Dont buy it. In the other reviews they said that is was really good and they loved it. I think that it is really bad and do not buy it. It looks nice on the outside but when you bring it to a lake or any source of water it is horrible!

04-06-2004

nice design ,but flimsy, especially for its weight,72 lbs,deck flexed considerably right out of the wrapper. would hate to see this one on a hot day or on the roof of a car without substantial support. For its design it paddled well and had ample room ,though a shallow cockpit it was very dry,extremly stable. I liked the carrying handles ,top drain plug and load capacity. the price is right ,less than 400 at west marine,maybe this was one slipped by quality control.I hate to give bad reviews but you just have to tell the truth.

06-06-2003
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

I purchased this boat at The Sports Authority a few years ago.It was about $400.00 (cheap for a tandem). I am 14 and very small but I have no problem paddling it. Very very stable. I would recommend this boat to anyone who wants to begin a new and exciting hobby.

07-08-2002

My Wife an I recently purchased a Tango at Sports Authority Store. This was our first Kayak purchase. We looked at every store in our area before deciding on the Tango. To make a long story short, We love it! We our looking for more locations to kayak now. This was the best purchase money could buy. The kayak is very balanced. There is room for 2 adults and 1 small child. In addition to this, there is plenty of storage space on the rear of the kayak. It comes in 3 colors that I'm aware of. Blue/Green/Grey, Red, and Yellow.