Product Reviews > Accessories > Fulton Canoe Caddy Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Fulton Canoe Caddy

Rated: 8.1/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Research Carts, Portaging & Launching in the Buyers' Guide!
Carts, Portaging & Launching
View Carts, Portaging & Launching in Buyers' Guide

09-14-2011

The T-swivel works very well to load my 17 foot Penobscot. I purchased the set with an extension plate to attach a ball hitch for pulling a trailer when the Canoe Caddy is on. I had to use a sleeve bushing to adapt the 3/4 inch riser bolt to the standard one inch hole in my receiver hitch. With the ball hitch attachment the 2-inch long bolt is 1/2 inch short. I am unable to find a square headed 3/4 inch bolt 2 1/2 inches long. So as shipped I cannot use the Canoe Caddy with a trailer ball add-on. I am disappointed, since my Reese hitch is standard thickness and the bolt should fit.

06-22-2007
Submitted by: Walt BrubakerSend Email

I bought this canoe caddy because loading my 17-foot Old Town canoe on my pickup solo was tough. This device is a huge improvement.

Here's the procedure: pick up one end of the canoe and lash it to the swiveled-rack. Pick up the other end and rotate it around to the front of the truck, put foam blocks under the front, then lash everything down. You never have to lift more than half the canoe at once. Combined with a wheeled dolly, this device is a must for anyone loading a canoe onto a car/truck solo.

Next, Fulton's customer service. The factory box was missing one non-crucial plastic cap and the rubber bumpers' sticky-tape had cooked. So I emailed the Fulton company and what do you know? They responded immediately by email, then sent out a box of spare parts. Gotta support the companies that treat you decently and these people are decent.

If you're struggling to put your canoe on your car roof, and you have a hitch, buy this canoe caddy, you won't be sorry. Be sure to use a crescent wrench to tune the nut that sets the swiveling friction.

05-23-2005

I purchased this item to assist in loading a canoe on top of a Toyota Fourrunner. First problem, the receiver mount is not a tight fit anyway but extending the T bar to the proper height makes the side to side sway very dangerous, even without a canoe on it! There needs to be some form of brace on each side to correct this problem but how when the only thing that holds it on a receiver is a 3/4 bolt, nut. Will return product for a refund.

10-31-2003

Works just fine. Wrapped black tape around the part that slides into the receiver to take up some of the clearance that causes play. I bungee each side to the hooks in the bed of the truck. Eliminated 95% of any sway. Sure makes loading and unloading the boat an easy task. I put a single bar Yakima rack over the pick-up cab to support the front of the boat. The Fulton and Yakima is a fine combo for carrying the boat.

10-28-2003
Submitted by: KWSend Email

Very sturdy, but you must still use 2 straps to tie down both bow and stern for stability. Just got back from 1,200 mile trip with canoe on top of truck and Fulton in FRONT receiver to tow 5th wheel. Works great.

06-12-2003

Took it out of the box, mounted it on my step bumper in the ball hitch hole, and I immediately knew this was not a good idea. There is no lateral support. It sways, it scratches, it's downright dangerous.

10-16-2002

The carrier does work well with the exception of the above mentioned swaying. I run a strap from each side hook of the carrier to the stake holes in my truck bed - this drastically reduces the swaying. The carrier is thus pulled slightly toward the tailgate since the stake holes are forward of the carrier. I put a spare foam block around the post of the carrier - it sits nicely on the adjusting screw - and this snugs the carrier up to the tailgate. Good product for those of us without receiver hitches.

09-26-2002

I posted on this product earlier, but I have had a problem possibly caused by the use of this product that I want to warn other users about. The carrier has a tendency to sway left to right when transporting a boat. This led to my kayak developing a cut under the bow this past Sunday from a strap. Since this time, I have talked to others and it seems that it is NECESSARY to tie down the carrier so that it will not sway side to side. I hope this saves someone from having the experience I did.

09-18-2002

This has been the first carrier I have purchased to haul my Necky Zoar Sport around on. One draw back to it is the large lock nut which sticks up on the top. I taped foam on top of it to keep from messing up the deck of my boat. Other than that it is a very sturdy carrier.

06-26-2002

The Fulton Canoe Caddy is a "platform-type" T-support that bolts to your trailer hitch and allows a single person to easily cartop a canoe. It assembles easily, locks securely to the vehicle hitch, and can be set for the height appropriate for your roof racks. Simply hoist one end of the canoe onto the "T", bungee it down, pick up the other end of the canoe, lift it up, and swivel it to the front of your vehicle. It works extremely well for my behemoth Old Town Discovery Sport 17 @ 119 pounds.

However, it is made for a double-end canoe, not a square stern canoe like the DS-17. In order to make the "T" wide enough to accept the DS-17 square stern I had to flip the "T-bar" upside down and bolt on a 30" wide board. I have suggested to Fulton that they consider an appropriate modification. I've had it travel at freeway speeds, and it caused no concerns. I like it.