Product Reviews > Canoes > Navarro Canoe Co. > Loon 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Loon 16 Canoe by Navarro Canoe Co.

Rated: 9.55/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Length: 16' 0" - Width: 35.0" - Starting at: $2600.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Navarro Canoe Co. Logo

08-08-2013

I have a Kevlar Loon 16 that I bought used. Truly beautiful canoe--a friend says it's like paddling fine cabinetry. The canoe is excellent in a variety of moving water conditions, including swells and wind chop on a big river. The hull is reasonably fast for a 16-foot canoe, but slow compared to 17 and 18 foot canoes. I particularly like its lightness for carrying to and from the river and portages. Having come from owning Royalex trippers, I find it a little fussy to have to baby the canoe to minimize scratches, but I'm learning to take the little bit of extra care.

07-24-2013
Submitted by: Jerold KappelSend Email

I bought this beautiful Loon as an engagement gift for my wife over 10 years ago. It has been a wonderful flatwater canoe, responsive, stable, and tracks well even in heavy wind. We use it to conduct Naturalist tours of the Upper Newport Bay in California, although it also got heavy use when we lived in Virginia on lakes and broad rivers. It was a treat to learn that it was designed by Bob Foote, who was one of our early whitewater canoe coaches. After all these years it still gets admiring looks when it is on the water.

11-01-2012
Submitted by: TJGSend Email

Navarro Canoe Co. 16' Loon, 15-years old, paddled in Northern California with both my sons and also attached a trolling motor. The canoe is a joy. The canoe is also always the most beautiful on the water. An excellent canoe

03-08-2012

I have owned my Loon 16' for over ten years. No other 16' fiberglass canoe is faster or better in maintaining a strait line in high winds. It is not a canoe for beginners. It is not high in initial stability and in waves over three foot you better be kneeling to paddle unless you are carrying a good amount of gear. I have dumped when paddling with granddaughters trying to turn in 3' waves. We were sitting with no weight in the bottom of the canoe. I have soloed long trips on rivers like the Upper Missouri in 30-40mph headwinds and driving rain and had no problems with keeping my canoe on track.

This canoe carries up to about 900 pounds of people and gear with plenty of freeboard, and does not take on water easily in high waves. Upkeep requires storing the canoe out of the sun and twice a year I oil the gunwales, yolk, and cane seats, and treat the fiberglass and poly interior coat with a silicone UV protection for boats. The cedar cross pieces on the interior of the canoe make it one of the most visual pleasing canoes on the market.

I love my Loon 16'!
P.S.: Better hang on to your Navarro canoe if you own one as it appears Navarro has gone out of business.

02-25-2008
Submitted by: thomas e shawSend Email

I've owned a couple of canoes now, this Loon 16 for the past 15 years. The only mild complaint I have is, as with all wood/fiberglass/gel boats, the maintenance required to keep that wonderful appearance. The hull will scratch on the rocks, and fade in the sun. It's best to keep it covered, in the garage when not in use.

Overall, this boat has been a joy to own. My wife and I take it on lakes, and Class II rivers here in Northern Calif. and even after all these years, it's still the prettiest boat in the water.

08-24-2007

I actually bought this canoe--in red--over ten years ago as an engagement gift for my beloved. We paddle it now on the Upper Newport Bay in California, and it is, and always has been, a dream to paddle. There is actually one other Loon stored at the Newport Aquatic Center! I will always recommend it to anyone who wants a great flatwater boat.

08-02-2006

I love my Loon 16 but I would not buy another one. The company appears to be out of business. They don't answer their phone or respond to my email requests. I am trying to track down a center seat. Any ideas?

10-29-2004

I've owned three 16' fiberglass Navarro Loons at different times in the last 10 years. I keep finding ones that have been slightly mistreated. I clean them up and repair them as needed, paddle them for a year or two then pass them on to a good home. For a tandem, California winter, flatwater boat the Loon can't be beat. Sleek, fast and stunningly beautiful it is a joy to paddle and see. It's extremely dry, holds a ton of gear and performs well in all flatwater conditions. It can even be paddled solo very pleasurably if there isn't too much wind. You'll never find anyone who has ever paddled this canoe with anything bad to say about it. When I've only got room for one canoe in my life, it's always this one.

06-04-2003

I purchased this "Eggplant" colored beauty about 5 years ago. I have yet to find a prettier, more classic, and well-mannered vessel manufactured by any other company for the price. I also own a Merimack that was my Father's, but the Loon is the one I enjoy the most. Great for fly-fishing or lake trips with Mom & child; & even in high winds, this baby stays nice and dry. I HIGHLY suggest this model. -Now, if I could only get it back from my buddy who borrowed it last season ;P

08-05-2002
Submitted by: PJMateuSend Email

Bought a 16ft. Kevlar Loon this summer. She did well paddling AND sailing on lagoons, estuaries, rivers and in a 20 knot wind on Humboldt Bay. Dry boat even in abeam waves. I get lots of compliments on her classical appearance too. Love this boat.

06-24-2002

We have never been disappointed by the performance. In flat water the boat tracks great, and in moving water it goes where you point it. It performs fantastic with lots of wieght for tripping and handles wind quite well. My wife and I have paddleded it for over fifty trips in the past four years and it still looks new. Once a year maintainance (oil wood and wax hull) really keeps the boat looking sharp. Of coarse we get lots of comments on the beautiful workmanship that went into the construction. Thanks Virgil!