Product Reviews > Kayaks > Formula > Mystic Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mystic Kayak by Formula

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

07-11-2007
Submitted by: T.R.Send Email

I traveled far to acquire my 2004 fiberglass Formula Mystic after falling in love with it at a demo show . It is a beautiful boat and at 5 ft. 7 and 145 pounds it seems to be a perfect fit. It felt very well made compared to some of the other boats I took out.I haven't had water in the hatches yet, but if I did, Impex in Canada or North Carolina will gladly walk you through the correct way to close the hatch properly.
It has been a dream to paddle, it is my first kayak and I wanted a boat that would be easier to carry and take me further than a recreational kayak in the long run in terms of the learning curve. I did fine in 12 knot winds in Maine on Casco Bay. It tracked straight and turned easily. Although I am still learning, I can't think of a nicer boat to experience the joys and thrills of being out on the water with.
I highly recommend the Formula Mystic Sea Kayak, also called the Impex Mystic. They are the same boats, just called Formula in Canada and Impex in the U.S. Now, my current understanding is all their boats are called Impex everywhere.
You deal with real people at Impex because the company is small, so it's a very personal experience when you call.

05-17-2004
Submitted by: ShawnSend Email

Recently purchased and only tried out once. Wow! tried it on a windy day on Lake Erie with some big time waves. Excellent stability! Seemed very fast and the skeg made a noticeable difference. I didn't notice any leaks at the hatches but like I say, I only took it out once. The only con I found was the size of the cockpit. At 5'9 - 180 lbs, it fits me pretty well. If I were any bigger it would be too small.

07-22-2002

Bought this boat this spring after years of arguing with myself about the type of boat I wanted. I finally decided that I needed a boat that's really easy to get out to the water. Otherwise, I'm not getting out there for those nice short evening paddles. At 40lbs and 14', I can lift, carry and toss this boat on the car top alone without any grief. On the water, it's a really nice boat. I haven't had very rough water yet but I really enjoyed the skeg on windy and gusty days. The cockpit is confortable (I'm 5'6" 135lbs and the fit couldn't be better) it tracks well and turns easily. I like that it's responsive although some of my friends find it has a bit of a tippy feeling for their taste. Minor irritants: I don't like the position of the skeg control and as mentioned in the other review, the hatches aren't watertight (at all...). Overall, I'm really pleased with this boat. Like anything else, depends what you are looking for.

05-13-2002

I an 5' 8" and 180 Lbs. A little bigger than the person this boat was designed for. This boat is tiny. It is a true trickster for a sea kayak as it is nimble, leans well, rolls very easily, Bracing is easy and secondery stability is great. She handles like a white water boat. The Cockpit is very snug and is like a white water boat. At 14 feet she is light and also fast, well much faster than I would have guessed. The price was terriffic.

It has some problems. All the hatches leak, quite badly. The skeg control leaks and though repaired once has started to leak again. Quality finishing in these detailes never happened. They are all easy fixes at the factiry but post assembly they are a pain. It has been said that poor workmanship is remembered long after the great price is forgotten. That is the case here.

Before you write this boat off for that seven , I judge these things very harshly. I own a Capella and an NDK. Beautiful boats but neither scored a ten. The Mystic is a great boat for a good kayaker about 100 - perhaps 180 Lbs. Max. 5' 0" to 5' 9" +- The lady that owns it is an excellent paddler and can make that boat dance. It is a little tippy for a beginner.

NRS: