Product Reviews > Kayaks > Wilderness Systems > Cape Lookout 155 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Cape Lookout 155 Kayak by Wilderness Systems

Rated: 9.2/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

08-05-2008
Submitted by: T. TassoSend Email

I just purchased a used Cape Lookout 155 (plastic) with a rudder and am very satisfied thus far with it. Took it out onto a calm river, and then on another day into the Boston Harbor in somewhat rough water. It tracks well & is stable, but also turns easily. The rudder is handy if the water is unruly, but not really necessary. So far, so good...

11-27-2005

Both ruddered cape lookout 155's I own maneuver beautifully, seat comfortably and have performed great on both Lake Michigan and Superior -not to mention downriver trips on class i-ii rapids. My paddling friends appreciate these features when joining me on daytrips. Portaging and loading are easier with two but are manageable with one paddler. Iím very glad my friends in Menomonee MI steered me into my wilderness kayaks!!

04-27-2005
Submitted by: RichSend Email

I've had my Cape Lookout 155 rotomolded with rudder for a few years now. It's an excellent all purpose kayak that can handle rougher conditions that you'd think. It tracks well, is easy to lean on and has a good combination of initial and secondary stability that is somewhere right between a beginner and an experienced touring kayak performance. If you're looking for a great kayak for day trips or even multi-day trips that is affordable and performs well - this is it in my view. You get the best of both worlds. It's not so performance oriented where you get the tippy feeling yet it is performance oriented enough to allow it to handle well in almost all conditions I've put it in. I even dare-deviled it in 5 ft waves on Lake Michigan and managed to stay upright.

08-09-2004
Submitted by: Bob EarlsSend Email

I bought a WS Critter about 3 weeks ago and found it to be very enjoyable. I mostly paddle in the Long Island Sound, so I figured a longer boat would be better. The critter is 9'6". I went out and bought a Lookout 155 today, and what a difference. Tracked straight, and turned very well in the Sound using the rudder. The water was choppy, and the boat seemed to perform better in bigger waves. I highly reccomend the 155. Just wish the front storage opening was bigger. I'll still use the Critter in smaller lakes and streams.

07-16-2004

I introduced myself to kayaking with the purchase of a Dagger Blackwater 12.5. After three years I wanted to step up to something longer, faster, and sexier but most of all I needed more cargo space for camping trips. I test paddled 7 different touring kayaks all plastic boats between 14 and 16 feet long priced under $1000.00 a self imposed limit. The Capelookout 155 won this competition with the Carolina 14.5 the only boat making it a tough decision.

I am 5-9 175 lbs and fit the molded thigh braces in the cockpit nicely. I can lean this boat within inches of the combing. This ability along with the rocker of the hull makes it quite maneuverable. I have no trouble tracking a straight course and do not feel I would want the optional rudder. The phase 3 seat is a big plus for my lower back. I have made two 4 day camping trips in the Adirondacks since I bought my lookout in May. It holds all my gear nicely but I wish the front cargo hatch was a tad larger, plenty of room but hard to load. The front deck rigging could also be more extensive coming closer to the cockpit.

Happy with my red Capelookout. Longer, faster, and much sexier than my Blackwater.

02-26-2003
Submitted by: JeffSend Email

I have been using the WS Cape Lookout 155 for about 7 months. I used the 155 in Algonquin Park, Ontario for a 1.5 week trip. The boat handles well, tracks good, and is the phase 3 seating is comfortable on long paddles. The only negative is weight and gear storage. Overall, very good kayak for the money.

02-24-2003
Submitted by: Tom McElhinneySend Email

I use my PLO 155 on Lake Mead and Lake Mohave in Nevada. Lots of wind and some current to deal with. The boats a dream!!! VERY satble, paddels well, tracks very well. I car top it on my tiny foreign car. At 60 lbs its tricky to lift for a old fart but well worth any trouble. The cockpit is very large for my 6 ft 220 lb butt. The seat is VERY comfortable, I often paddel for 3 hours + without any discomfort.5-6 hour trips are comon. Wilderness System has made a GREAT boat in this model. Its also very quick, I can keep up with my buddy in his 18ft touring boat with out any problem. Im very happy and would recomend it to anyone. [ The price is right also the best buy for under $1200.] Good luck.

07-15-2002
Submitted by: Ian MurraySend Email

I took out this kayak for the first time today and was very impressed. It tracked very straight and it's secondary satbility was remarkable. A little heavy at 61 lbs but it's handling makes it a good buy. The phase three seat was extremely comfortable.

07-11-2002

I purchased a Cape Lookout 155 a couple of months ago. I looked at other brands, but what sold me was the Phase 3 seating! I enjoy being able to adjust the height and angle of the seat. The boat itself tracks very well in all conditions. I bought a Lookout with a rudder, but have found I usually do not need to use it. I would like to see better thigh/knee padding and bracing in the cockpit. I highly recommend this kayak!!

04-29-2002

I took this boat out for the first time yesterday ,a 17 mile trip on the east branch of the delaware ,lots of moving water and class 1 and some class 2 rapids , it handled very well , tracked straight even with the wind , and its a pretty fast boat , it has the new Phase 3 seating which i found to be very comfortable , foot pegs were good and easy to adjust and the front and rear hatches stayed dry (even though i was looking for water to punch through ) it was very stable through all conditions , a very nice boat and the Phase3 seating is a BIG plus good job wilderness!

Rendezvous River Sports