Product Reviews > Kayaks > Islander > Makai Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Makai Kayak by Islander

Rated: 8.6/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

07-10-2007

I purchased the Islander Makai with the thought of having an all around kayak with emphasis on lightweight and portability. At 9'-9 and 34 pounds, this kayak is easy to transport and handle for teenagers and adults.
I am 6 ft and 200#'s. I am probably at the upper end as far as stability is concerned. I have good balance, but found that this kayak is easy to tip in heavier surf or swells. That doesn't bother me, because its an SOT. I had no problems in most waters.
This little kayak tracks extremely well for its size and has good speed. The scuppers drain well. I found that the bow throws some spray in your face when in choppy waters facing a slight headwind. This may be due in part to my weight.
The seat well is comfortable, but you will need a back support if you paddle for long periods. It comes with a very nice 8" stowage hatch and ample rear deck space. This kayak is made with good quality parts and rugged plastic construction.

07-05-2005

I have had this boat going on the second season now, and I love it. It is easy for me to handle alone which is why I chose it I am only 5' 3" tall. It is very stable and tracks very well. Try one you will like it.

10-02-2004

I recently purchased the Makai to add to my small fleet of kayaks. I am a 155 lb. woman and this boat is perfect for me. I use it on Class I & II rivers when I do not feel like using my WW boat. The Makai is great for surfing the rapids and ferrying across the river! (Of course, I do have the knee straps for additional control).

09-01-2004
Submitted by: jmSend Email

I am a fairly large guy (6',210 lbs.) and the Makai is not for me. This is a small person's boat. But it is an excellent small person's boat. My 11 year old son and small sized college age daughter love it. Stable, good tracking. Great for flatwater. Actually, I've used it numerous times and it works well; I just travel closer to the water than I might like. It actually outperformed my Moku for me in the surf because the Moku is so much bigger and heavier that I thought I might get killed by a wave if the boat hit me on the head. The Makai felt less threatening in the surf.

04-18-2002

This is great for a little boat. Lots more fun than a Swifty! It felt like I was getting somewhere when I paddled. It has a cooler-shaped hole behind the seat and a hatch for sunscreen and a jacket (not much else would fit). My feet got wet but the seat stayed dry. My wife wants one so she can throw it in the back of the SUV herself and paddle solo.