Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Umiak Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Umiak Kayak by Perception

Rated: 9.31/10 Based On: 13 Reviews

09-10-2009
Submitted by: MGSend Email

Love this boat. I just bought two of these boats for my 6 and 8 year olds. Daughter is already experienced and attended a kayak "camp." We've only been out twice and my oldest is really loving it, it's fast. Son's second time ever and he's adapting quickly pretty stable little boats and quite light weight. The seats are a little hard. I tried a flat piece of foam but it raised the center of gravity and made it a little tippy. Great boats.

01-22-2007

The same boat as the Carolina 12. Though it’s design shares nothing in common to the Carolina series, Perception changed the name for marketing reasons I suppose. Nice boat, perfect for young kids. Lightweight, fast, nibble, decent tracking, it’s all there. This boat is rocket! When my daughter puts her mind and paddle into it, I have all I can do to keep up with her at times. However, one thing this boat definitely needs is a back band. I installed one called the “Reggie” from Immersion Research, which fits the boat quite well. Also, I installed front and rear split floatation bags from NSR, something that one should consider as the OEM foam block floatation will probably keep the boat from totally submerging, but not much more. What a fun boat for a kid!

07-29-2002
Submitted by: REGSend Email

I bought one used for my wife who is small 5'2" because the local kayak shop stated to me that that model would be best for her starting out. We've lots of kayaks since for her and she still insissts that that kayak paddles the best and is the most stable. She easily keeps up with everyone and is usually ahead. She uses it for lakes, bays and open ocean kayaking along the rocky coasts and she just loves it. It's light and very stable. We added some foam on the seat and that's about it. No rudder. Now we're looking for another one for her sister.

03-21-2002

Our 9 year old son just purchased this boat, has been out on a few lakes and rivers, and he absolutely LOVES his Umiak!!! No complaints of any kind - he is always ahead of the canoes now, and we often have to make him wait for us! Great first kayak - highly recommended by a very critical 9 year old!

10-11-2001
Submitted by: sfc

I bought an Umiak for my son when he was six. At 11, he is still using the boat. It was a great first boat for him because it is very stable and easy to maneuver. He can easily keep up with all the adults. Very nice boat, nice construction, seat a little uncomfortable and could use added floatation, but an excellent value for your dollar.

04-09-2001

I bought an Umiak for my daughter when she was 8. She paddled it until she was 13. It's a great 'kids' boat: sleek, quick, great for turns and rescues. It's a wonderful learning boat and just fun. I can also say that it more than held it's value. I just sold it for a little more than we paid for it after using it for six years. Not bad.

09-19-2000

I bought my daughter an Umiak when she was 5, she is now 8 and is an awsome little paddler. The umiak has very good initial stability which is a good confidence booster for kids, makes them feel safe. The boat handle well under a childs power and the speed is quite good as well. The only complaint is the molded plastic seat, my daughter found it a bit uncomfortable, so I glued some closed cell foam to the seat to soften it a bit and to make the seat well not as deep. Added floatation would be a good idea. Great boat for kids, up to 120lbs.

05-25-2000
Submitted by: Rob

Recently purchased a new Umiak for our 8-year old daughter. Where once we were waiting for her to catch up with us, now she's waiting for us to catch up with her. The boat is really well designed and well made. We could not find one on the used-boat market, which says that once purchased, most hold on to the boat.

10-04-1999
Submitted by: RAGSend Email

Purchased umiak after reading the other reviews for my son's 7th birthday. He can easily paddle it even though he is 48 inches and 47 lbs. It is light enough so he can carry one end. It is great in salt water estuaries as well as in open water.

10-04-1999

bought my Umiak 3 years ago. Most Umiak paddlers seem to be children, but I bought it for myself, a petite, 40+ woman. I use it in all types of water, including Lake Champlain, the Long Island Sound,the Hudson River, Class 1, 2 and 3 rivers and lakes and ponds. I love it. It is very stable, maneuverable and I keep up with other adults who are paddling larger kayaks. Furthermore, it is easy to make a re-entry after a wet exit. It couldn't be better for me.

07-19-1999
Submitted by: WillSend Email

My daughter received an Umiak for her 7th birthday. She is now eight and fully into paddling. I think the Umiak allowed her to feel safe (she was in big water and didn't stop to think about it) and equal to the adults paddling with her; she can easily keep pace. This year she has taken to fishing from her kayak--the thrill of Northern Pike to a girl in the cockpit of a kayak is priceless. I would recommend a backband or lower back seat support--would this go against the grain of the Greenland style of the boat? Posture would really be improved with this addition. Also, flotation would be a smart idea--foam is cheap but bags are better. Little kids can paddle--it is too cool to be a Pop of a little paddler.

11-03-1998

I have also bought this for my 8 year old son. I'm amazed at how quickly he adapted to it. I highly recommend this route to get started. It handles the open Lake Erie very well.

09-21-1998

I bought a Umiak for my 7 year old son. The kayak is has proven safe and easy to handle, yet suitable for open water (Long Island Sound). Easy for a small person to reach the water and stable. I would benefit from better installed bouyancy. As a kid's starter kayak I would give a high recommendation.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports