Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Illusion Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Illusion Kayak by Perception

12-20-2006

I've had the Illusion for 2 years, and I really like it: great stability, fast for a sit-on-top, and great storage below decks. I've used it for 3 day camping trips on the upper Delaware River, and there is more than enough storage. It is also nimble enough for narrow Pine Barrens rivers that twist and turn constantly. Tough poly hull that doesn't damage easily. Terrific, versatile boat!

12-13-2006

I've owned the Illusion for about 3 years now and have come to appreciate even more what its capabilities are. I fish everything from inshore flat waters to some of the roughest ocean conditions you would want to be in. At 14 feet in length, 27 inch width, and the low 60s weight range, it is a heavy yak. With that said, not many negatives about this yak. The first thing I noticed when I rented the yak, was the ease of paddling...it responded incredibly in comparison to the many other poly yaks I had paddled then as well as today in the 14 foot range. The hatches are huge, both fore and aft, the straps and other hardware top of the line. The low gunnels of this yak make for a wetter ride in the chop, but this is more than offset by the lack of winds effect on yak. Never found it necessary to put rudder on it and have even come to appreciate the extra weight of yak... I have dragged this yak over parking lot pavement, oyster bars, rocks, and tree stumps. The hull is nearly indestructable. If you're looking for something for camping out of, and like you're gear stored below, or if you want to cut your hatches out and drop a 5 gallon bucket as a tankwell for fishing... this yak is the bomb. And no I don't work for Perception...just letting you know how happy I am with my decision to buy this yak. If you can find one used, jump on it.

12-15-2005
Submitted by: AaronSend Email

The illusion is great in calm water and has a lot of storage space. The boat is very stable also. Most of my kayaking is done in the South Florida Intracoastal waters, the boat would benefit from a rudder when the waves are bigger than 1 foot. I have a hard time tracking the boat in choppy water. I bought the boat to fish from, but I haven't bought all of the fishing gear yet. There is storage for all types of gear, I can fit fins, snorkel, spear, dolly, pfd, anchor, and still have room to spare. The sit on top boat is great for Miami in the warm weather, but you will get a little wet in this boat, so I don't think I would like it if I lived in a cold water climate.

07-18-2002
Submitted by: JoeySend Email

I have never kayaked or canoed in my life. I dropped the Illusion in the water and away I went. It fishes great and tracks well. I was impressed with the amount of storage available. If you are a coastal angler looking for a kayak this is the one.

02-18-2002
Submitted by: MarvinSend Email

So far so good. This is the brand new 2002 "replacement" for the ever popular Prism. The Illusion is a lil bit longer and wider than the Prism and the seat is higher and only two scupper holes. I just bought it yesterday and took it immediately out into West Galveston Bay. I am a novice and have had little training but this kayak was stable and fairly fast. Paddling against the wind and tide was easy although the boat wanted to turn into the waves. I am not sure if that is what it is suppose to do or not. I really enjoyed my trip (about 2 miles round trip) across the bay. I did dump it twice in about three ft. of water and it was easy to get back on. Sitting on the boat sideways is not a problem, very stable. I got the deluxe fishing package from a local shop and will soon be out fishing. You cant go wrong with this boat especially with the wheat/pine color scheme.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports