Product Reviews > Canoes > Grasse River Boatworks > Adirondack XL Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Adirondack XL Canoe by Grasse River Boatworks

Rated: 9.83/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

09-21-2012

Owned and loved many fast canoes and kayaks. Don't miss them anymore since I got the Classic XL. Done searching for the ultimate training, fishing, tripping, flat and rough water, carving, blasting canoe... but the Shadow and Blackwater are still out there.

04-23-2012

An update on my previous review after a couple of years and a lot of miles, including a recent 215 mile trip from Raleigh, NC to Beaufort, NC. The trip was primarily on the Neuse River and included Class 1+ Rapids and open water. I used both single and double blade paddles.

I am thoroughly impressed with this boat's characteristics and capabilities. It is fast and seaworthy and responds well to both single and double blades.

On my recent trip I was paddling with mostly kayakers and I arrived at each break spot and camp every evening long before they did. It is easy to maintain 4.5 MPH in this boat all day long with a single blade. With a double blade into headwinds of 15 MPH I could maintain about 4.8 MPH with a day long effort. I had to regularly wait for the kayakers on open water.

During the trip we had an open water crossing of about a mile in 20-25 MPH steady winds with gusts over 30, and 2 to 3 ft confused seas primarily perpendicular to the crossing. I made it successfully across with the double blade paddle, and never really felt like I was going to lose it. Yes, I had to throw a few braces, but so did the sea kayakers. Matter of fact, one of the experienced sea kayakers described the conditions as qualifying for rough water according to the BCU standards, and three paddlers didn't make the crossing.

The XL is truly a 10.

05-29-2009

I'm still learning this boat, and when I get a chance to really spend some time in the boat, I'll post a more detailed review.
Paddler - Even though I've paddled canoes all my life, I'm still learning about canoes of this type. This boat is definitely not a Grumman or an Old Town. I'm 6'2" and weigh 235 lbs.
Construction - the construction quality is fantastic. I can't find a single flaw in the layup and the weight is right on what is advertised.
Stability - I'd say the initial stability is a little less than my Wenonah Voyager, but the secondary stability seems higher. Although, I've never had the Voyager loaded for tripping like intended.
Maneuverability - leaning this boat and utilizing the secondary stability makes this boat very maneuverable. I often paddle tight, twisting streams and don't hesitate to use this boat.
Speed - this hull is fast, faster for me than the Voyager. I've only competed in a one race, so I'm still learning to paddle fast, but the glide and efficiency of this boat is better than anything I've ever paddled.
Why a 9 out of 10? No boat is perfect, right?

08-24-2005

Grasse River Classic XL (carbon fiber): This is an extremely fast solo standard class or stock canoe. The boat has good primary stability and outstanding secondary stability making it highly capable under all conditions. It is easy to bring up-to-speed and glides effortlessly. The canoe is the fastest, non-dedicated racing canoe available and is the most dominant in its class in racing events. Aside from racing, the canoe easily handles all ones camping gear for trips of a week or two. Having owned several other solo canoes in this category, I can honestly say it has no equals. Workmanship is excellent.

05-09-2005

Ten, ten, ten...

This is as fast (I think) as a Wenonah Voyager, without the trouble in the wind. NOT a beginner's boat, it has the best glide of any of my canoes. It is greased lightning fast - probably the fastest "regular" production canoe made. Mine is woodstrip and weighs maybe 32 pounds. GREAT boat...

12-28-2001

One of the sweetest paddling C-1's around. A standard class racing boat that can be used as a solo tripper holding quite a bit of weight. It's as fast as a wenonah advantage with a bit more freeboard for a dryer ride. Well balanced in a beam wind and carves like a snowboard when leaned. John Newman has designed a winner here!

Botetourt County Tourism: