Product Reviews > Kayaks > Chesapeake Light Craft > Chesapeake LT 17 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Chesapeake LT 17 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Rated: 9.33/10 Based On: 9 Reviews

Chesapeake LT 17 Kayak by Chesapeake Light Craft

Length: 16' 10" - Width: 23.50" - Starting at: $999.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Chesapeake Light Craft Logo

07-24-2013

I bought my 17LT from the builder, so this review is limited to performance, not construction. Overall, it's a fun, comparatively stable, adequately lively, adequately fast boat. It represents a good balance in qualities and compromises. I use it mainly as companion boat and it's a huge step up for folk used to paddling plastic.

It's appearance / profile is a strong point. The lower rear deck both looks good on the water and minimizes weather cocking.

As with any kit boat, the skill of the builder and decisions made during construction can have major impact on weight / appearance / seaworthiness. As the owner of a couple of kit boats, I would just like to suggest that being extra-generous with epoxy during the build is not necessarily a good thing.

07-11-2005

This is my second wood project. The first was the Sand Dollar by Arch Davis which I built from plans. The 17lt was a last minute decision so I went with the kit late in the winter so that I could get to use it this entire season. I found it very complete and of good quality. The forum is also a nice place to visit. They have a few regulars there that seem to be really fine folks with quite a bit of experience from what I can tell.

As far as handling qualities go, I can't be that objective since this is my first kayak. I'm enjoying it quite a lot and when I am able to I will be building another.

09-21-2004

Have been paddling the 17LT now for three years. When I built the boat it was my first boat, but over the years I have now had a chance to build and paddle a number of other boats so I thought I could finally put a review in with some context...

>From a build perspective, the craft is a very straight-forward stitch and glue design. I have actually built three 17LTs over the year. The manual is adequate but first time builders would do well to use the CLC forum and phone support to ask questions to refine the build process and subsequent quality of the construction. One of the advantages of a well built wooden boat is how light the end result can be. However, attention is needed in order to bring the boat in at the design weight or better.

>From a paddling perspective, the boat is stable yet lively with an excellent turn of speed. I have paddled her against a CLC WR180 and coho and she will stay even for the same amount of effort in anything but the most aggressive of paddling. I routinely paddle her on a 5 mile "exercise" circuit in protected waters averaging 5.5 mph according to the GPS. I have not installed a rudder. She seem to track well enough in wind and small wave action without significant correcting strokes. I have not taken her out in any serious wave action. my height is 5'10" and i weigh about 190 lbs in paddling gear. the boat is roomy and comfortable for the feet yet low by the hips. she has been able to accomodate a wide range of guest heights and weights (from 6'2"/215 to 130 and 5'4". the deck takes a nice swoop down from its highpoint on the centerline to the sheer making it easy to paddle with an agressive style without banging your knuckles or constantly hitting the deck with the paddle.

>From an optics perspective, the boat is very pleasing. I have mine finished with bright decks and red enamel hull with the paint wrapping 1 inch over onto the decks. The LT cuts a lean and low profile to the water but she has a nice spring to her shear in the fore section that gives her a graceful yet sleek look for a modern design. The spring in the bow section also makes for a relatively dry ride when running against a chop.

This is the boat I also use as my guest boat so I am impressed at how she is handled by both beginners as well as experienced paddlers who have had the opportunity to paddle her. Her combination of looks and handling led me to building two additional boats for colleagues...who decided after a couple paddles that they just had to have one. Overall, a very well rounded, likeable design that I enjoy coming back to between explorations in other boats.

05-07-2003

After much consideration, I decided to build my first kayak instead of purchasing a plastic boat. I must say that their magazine ads ultimately had their effect! The entire experience was rewarding and, with patience, can be accomplished by anyone even mildly handy with tools. What I wasn't ready for was the attention!

I live relatively close to CLC and was able to test paddle the 17LT and was sold immediately. I am 5'-9" and roughly 160lbs and is a perfect match. My girlfriend selected and built a 16LT and is equally happy with her boat and efforts. Wooden boats have the distinct advantage of being highly customizable, durable, and, if built carefully, lightweight. Both our boats weigh 47 and 41lbs. respectively.

Handling and tracking is superb with corrections needing only a corrective stroke or two. The LT17 is quick in the water and accelerates nicely. The design edges nicely and carves nice tight turns.

I built my boat mainly for kayak camping (though I've raced it twice ) and it can easily carry gear for 3-5 days, more if you pack carefully. Last August (2002) we went camping off the coast of Portland, ME for four days and the boats performed flawlessly in varied conditions. I've been kayak camping two other times since.

CLC provides both timely and knowledgeable support either by phone or via the Internet. Trust me, nothing beats the allure of a wooden boat!

12-26-2002

The CLC 17LT is a good general-purpose touring kayak for 160+ pound paddlers. Building this boat is a good way to obtain an attractive, lightweight (45 pound) touring kayak that is durable and more easily repaired that commercially-available fiberglass boats.

The CLC 17LT tracks very well and I find that it does not need a rudder or skeg at all if weight is distributed properly. The standard foam seat is very basic, and fine for me but my wife's legs go a little numb after paddling for an hour or more without additional thigh support.

Unless one is planning primarily on extended trips, the "LT" version is a welcome lower-profile boat with less wind resistance and less "coffin" look than the regular 17. The LT also allows a lower paddling stroke, but even an inch lower would be nicer. The cockpit is too roomy for my tastes, even with extra foam outfitting.

The kit that I bought from CLC was very complete, including bulkheads, hatches and other items that some other manufacturers sell as "add-ons". The instructions are clear, and CLC's bulletin board provides good building tips. The people at CLC were invariably friendly and helpful when I asked for advice.

First time builders should generally plan on 150 hours or more to produce this mahogany plywood boat, including a fair amount of "think" time. In addition to the price of the kit, the cost of varnish, brushes, rollers, gloves, sandpaper and tools can add a few hundred dollars to the total cost.

Although this kayak does not have the elegance of a strip-built boat, the ease and satisfaction from constructing, and the "ohhs" and "ahhs" from others also make the CLC 17LT very appealing.

12-02-2002

I just paddled this boat at a CLC demo day and it was the best of the bunch. I am 5'10" 185lbs and it did it all for me.

01-03-2002

CLC really delivers the "whole" package: a quality, well tested product, superb materials and great customer service. My 17 LT was challenging and fun to build, the kit was well put together and has lots of room for customizing, especially in the cockpit area. The finished boat is not only a beauty but handles exceptionally well on open water. I have a skeg on my boat that I much prefer over a rudder. The boat can weather cock, but careful outfitting and some weight in the stern and the problem is solved. Not only does it handle and track well on open seas it also has great maneuverability. One can carve tight turns on the ocean or sail around the twisting bayous prevalent down here in the south. I am 150# and right at the weight minimum for this boat, any one lighter should go for the 16 or the 16LT.

12-03-2001

What a beautiful kayak to own!- I just love it. Not only is it sleek but it is fun to paddle. I've taken it into our choppy lake- 2-3' waves, and while I still get the shakes(!), I can deal with it! This kayak does what I want. I added a rudder and highly reccomend one. On the coast it glides along, and is not a tiring kayak. I stick with 6-8 mile paddles, The water has been rough- but it feels stable- better than the Magellan I used to rent. When running with the waves- it can feel a little tippy as one set is passing beyond the bow, and the next set is just catching the stern. It throws a little twist as you drop into the trough, and get lifted out at the stern, but the bow isn't free yet. But that is a matter of experience. This kayak allows me to keep up with my son as he doesn't notice the 2-4 ft waves, the beginning whitecaps, the swells. I feel comfortable in it, and I can't help but admire my handiwork as I paddle it. Chesapeake did a wonderful design jobe with this one: Chesapeake LT17.

08-20-2001
Submitted by: Mike PredmoreSend Email

I built this boat and it is one of the best boats I have every paddled. This is in part due to customizing the boat for me. It is wide enough to be stable for hands off paddle work, it is fast enough for a touring boat (maintaining 4.5Kn is not a problem) and it handles waves pretty good. I have paddled it in lakes, rivers, bays and off shore. It is always in the front of the pack and garners compliments for its appearance and handling. I do wish the bow had a little more rise to the shear. That could be altered if building from plans.

BassYaks: