Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Aurora Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Aurora Kayak by Perception

Rated: 7.71/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

05-22-2006

Great Kayak! I fish it solo and the responce on the water is "wow thats a big kayak! "handels classII + water without any problems

05-04-2006

We purchased the Perception Aurora to do recreational kayaking with our kids. It is a great kayak for that purpose with two adult seats and a removable kids seat. It tracks well with the rudder controlled by foot pedals. Great for stability but a heavy to carry - definitely two people to load and carry.

12-06-2002
Submitted by: steveSend Email

A good family kayak. It tracks fairly well without the rudder. It moves along much better than I expected for a flat bottom kayak weighing over 70 lbs. Speaking of weight however it is a bear to get on and off of a roof rack and a chore to carry for any distance over 20 ft even with 2 people. I disagree with the negative comments about stability - I've had it in Pacific coastal waters and felt very safe in wind waves and swells (that said I still don't venture out far from land in unprotected waters). With 2 people and the skirt attached it is dry but without the skirt it gets wet inside. I still think its the best of the tandem recreational kayaks I've tried.

10-21-2002
Submitted by: TpassSend Email

I bought a used demo Aurora last year and have been very happy with it. It's roomy, easily carries 2 large (200+ lbs) adults, has comfortable seats, and feels sprightly in Maine coastal bays with 10-15 knot winds and light chop. It tracks pretty well without a rudder but I would get one unless you're only going to use it in calm sheltered water.

The boat is definitely heavy to lug around. I would guess the advertised 73 lbs is an underestimate. A wheeled caddy of some type would definitely help.

The flat bottom gives great primary stability, and does not seem to make it feel sluggish. I recommend it!

12-26-2001
Submitted by: stuart bellSend Email

we bought this boat in jul01,by aug 01 i was in a used scimitar.we found this boat to have few positive qualities.the seats never stayed adjusted.it is a very wet boat,heavy and cumbersome.ifeel it is very unsafe in any seas.if foul costal weather brewed up as it will you could be in trouble.if you want a double get a real one with 2 small openings or better yet 2 fast sea worthy single, i really feel that flat bottomed kayaks single or double are dangerous.one can never predict weather.please dont buy this boatand please dont put small kids in that silly seat,at least not in the water.

07-25-2001
Submitted by: Jeroen BoursSend Email

After searching for a kayak that would allow our family to start enjoying kayaking and at the same time allow for one of us to escape by him or herself, we found the answer in the Aurora. This boat will have to convert at least a few of us in paddlers for a lifetime. Be warned though, it's heavy and sometimes a chore to haul. Make sure you get your Paddleboy to help you schlepp this one to and fro. Include plans to get the full package. The expedition model with rudder is not a luxury, you'll need it with two persons or fully loaded with a little wind. Be prepared to be seen by hardcore paddlers as an odd duck. Some of them will see you as a recreational 'Sunday Driver'. Their problem of course, since paddling this one requires the same dedication and sometimes quite a muscle. I prepare to go all the way with it. We're getting a sprayskirt and wetsuits so that we can paddle right through the winter. It's a stable boat that will prepare the kids nicely in the art of paddling for the rest of their lives.

07-04-2001

We bought the aurora this year as a family kayak---it's our first time paddling, and we love it! It's a bit heavy, weighting in at close to 80lbs, but so far it fits my hubby, myself and our tall 7-year-old daughter just find. We didn't purchase the rudder kit, as we are in south jersey, on slow moving rivers. We did take out the child's seat and purchase a stadium cushion instead for our daughter. We've had it out a BUNCH of times since bringing it home, and could not be happier. One problem...the hubby likes paddling so much, he now wants a single for himself!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports