Product Reviews > Kayaks > Perception > Keowee 3 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Keowee 3 Kayak by Perception

Rated: 9.09/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

10-25-2005
Submitted by: LHKSend Email

This is a great family boat, especially if you live on a lake and not have to transport it. On the plus side, it is wonderfully stable and tracks fine - just a pleasant all around boat, BUT, we will sell ours in the spring because it is just a whipping to get it on top of our Toyota Highlander, and a huge pain to carry. We only use it to take to state parks camping, and after all the trouble of getting it there, we find we could have rented something similar at the park for $20. My overall review is marvelous boat if you don't have to carry it.

04-29-2003

We purchased our Keowee III 2 years ago. I wanted a tandem that my wife and I could use, and also one that our son could come along in when he gets old enough. Although it is a heavy boat, it does what is is designed to do. It moves slowly, but is very stable and is easy to paddle solo. It can hold a ton of gear and with a sprayskirt can handle class I+ water, but not without the sprayskirt (from experience). I can say I am pleased with our purchase.

04-21-2003
Submitted by: SK

Found a 1 season used Keowee 3 for sale with rudder. Love the kayak. My 3 kids (ages 13, 10 and 7) along with the dog have a blast paddling it around the lake.

10-08-2002
Submitted by: JM

I was looking for a decent sized kayak that I could handle on my own, but could carry me 3 year old son as well. The Keowee 3 is ideal. No rudder, but I haven't needed it yet - and I have had it out in some pretty nasty ocean weather. It's a bit heavy getting to and from the car for one person, but it can be done. I ended up making a cart to haul it up and down the beaches at low tides. I am now using a boatloader from Yakima to get it on the roof of the minivan - makes a HUGE difference. I highly recommend this kayak.

07-11-2002

We bought our Keowee III 4 weeks ago and have had in the water as much as possible. We needed a boat that would carry me, wife and 6 year son (he?s getting a little big though, need another boat) and it work great! Paddles well and with the rudder has excellent control. We had in the river and Lake Seminole between AL, GA and FL. It runs shallow enough to go just about anywhere with all of us in it. Last weekend even had in the Apalachicola Bay with the dolphins. Even with 1 foot waves it cuts thru fine. Got to get a skirt for rougher water though. Like was said below if I want to relax I let the wife paddle or vice-versa and still run at a good pace. Great all-around kayak for the family.

I would like to see a future version of this model with an extended cockpit. Maybe longer the Aurora model 92 inches, but with the same weight, or a little less, as the Keowee III. We could maybe then get a slightly larger child in it. Also, with a beam a little less than the 33 inches which makes paddling single a little less convenient.

06-24-2002
Submitted by: baddgerrSend Email

Wow!!! Read the reviews, checked the classifieds on this site and found one for a good price. The model we purchased was a 2001 without the rudder. My wife and I, a five year old (who fit perfectly into the included child seat) and our one year old fit perfectly. With my wife holding on the the one year old, I paddled solo without much of a problem. It was a bit stiff when the wind kicked up but otherwise tracked well and was easy to propel. I agree with the other raters that at 14'3" and 70lbs it's really a two man job to load. Extremely stable and a definite recommend.

04-09-2002
Submitted by: Kathy

Rented it last summer for a group paddle to Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe. Put 3 beginners in it, 21. 17, and 11; all first time paddlers and they had a great time. It was a little slow and doggy, but I think that was the paddlers not the boat. It took on very little water even tho it was choppy out. They all felt safe in it and wouldn't hesitate to go again. We paddled about 7 miles all told, 3 in to the bay around in there a while and then 3 back out. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a beginning family.

04-04-2002
Submitted by: Eric ZitzmannSend Email

I rented a Keowee III last summer with my family (wife and 7 yr old daughter), and we just weren't going to be without one this summer. The price is incredibly reasonable-I paid $700 from Outback Adventures in San Jose. I was going to buy it at REI, but they wanted shipping on top of it. I have had no problems loading by myself-I just slide it up the rack from behind after lifting it up there. I bought a set of Yakima's Hully rollers, and they are perfect for this kind of loading. With a 650 lb. capacity, this kayak was the #1 choice for us, as we are going to embark on overnight trips. Very easy to paddle (as compared to my old sit-on-top), and it tracks well. I recommend the Expedition model, as it has a huge dry storage area. I rate it a 10+ out of 10. Good luck with your purchase!

08-17-2001
Submitted by: JMZSend Email

First time purchase very stable boat and moves effortlesly. I can paddle quite easily by myself if my wife just wants to relax. It is rather heavy and challenging for one person to get on and off the truck though. But for beginners it provides a very stable learning experience. You never get the sensation that you are going to tip or capsize.

07-18-2001

Pretty good boat, particularly as a first-time purchase. Tracks pretty well, and very stable. recently paddling it by myself, and for some reason decided to stand up and pole down the river, ala huckleberry fin. At 33" wide it worked just fine. It is heavy, however, 70lbs., so car-topping it and pulling it down off a truck can be somewhat of a chore without two people. I think that's my biggest drawback, it's difficult to lug it around by myself if my wife doesn't want to go out.

06-13-2001

Fantastic Boat, Just great, don't know any other way to say it. Great tracking, great hauler, great to take the grandkids out for the day (STABLE). Great for fishing or taking the wife out for alittle excersize. It's even great as a solo even though it is alittle heavy loading and unloading. That's about the only trade off. Again, it's just a great boat - I wouldn't trade it for one of theose $1500 to $2000 boats.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!