Product Reviews > Kayaks > Mariner Kayaks > Express Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Express Kayak by Mariner Kayaks

Rated: 9.57/10 Based On: 7 Reviews

03-10-2008
Submitted by: CRJSend Email

Now that I've had my Express for a year and put 170+ miles on it last season, I feel better qualified to review it. Last September, at the Port Townsend Seminar, I paddled around the point and into town. On my return I noticed two paddlers about a mile away. By the time we reached the seminar beach I had overtaken them and landed first. When they saw me later they said, "Yeah, we saw you blow past us. Those Mariners are fast kayaks." For a 16 foot kayak, that is impressive performance. I'm 65 years old and these guys were in their 30s and 40s.

I mentioned that I had a high volume kayak for touring. My son and I went on a trip up to Upper Priest Lake in Idaho and he took the high volume boat. I packed gear into dry bags and stuffed them up into the hull (no hatches). I was amazed to discover that I could load almost as much as the 18'6" high volume expedition boat. The fat butt of the Express - which makes it surf so readily - also lets me easily carry enough gear for a trip. Even more surprising, when the wind came up he took more water over his boat than I did!!!

It's fast and it can carry a load and it loves to surf. So how about handling? Well a friend came up to visit and I gave him the Express and a few tips on the sliding seat. We took an hour paddle on a local lake and during the paddle the wind came up and he had some issues with weathercocking. A simple shift of the seat position solved that problem. No rudder, no skeg... just scooch back or forward until the problem goes away and keep on paddling. Adjustments to your heading are accomplished by a quick edge to one side or another without changing paddle cadence. After a short while it becomes second nature.

The Mariners are, at least for now, available again (www.marinerkayaks.com) but if you can't find one new and see one advertised used, buy it! You won't regret it.

08-08-2007
Submitted by: CRJSend Email

I have a large expedition boat and wanted something lighter and easier for one person to handle. The Express certainly has fit the bill for me. I've put 40 miles on it since I bought it (used) 4 weeks ago. I've done paddles in the San Juan Islands and near Shelton, and several workout sessions on a local lake. I've had it in 4' boat wakes and turbulence, in 15kt winds, and so far it's handled very well. No bulkheads, but I'm not going to use this boat for long trips so I stuff flotation bow and stern. My sliding seat has a pan-head screw that hurts my hip so I will have to fix that but otherwise the seat adjusts well and allows me to change trim (like from cruising to surfing) in a moment. At under 50lbs (fiberglass) it's easy for me (and I don't walk that well) to launch and retrieve. They're back in production with boats in kevlar. I would highly recommend it if you want a well-balanced, easily moved, lightweight boat that can take on the weather.

09-22-2004
Submitted by: EJS

I have an Express in Kevlar/Carbon, which is a light 40 lbs or so. I love this boat. I'd use this boat for anything except very long trips, where I'd prefer a Mariner II, or for dedicated serious rock gardens, where I would use a Coaster. But the Express is a great no compromises boat in between these two. Mine has no sliding seat and so far I have not missed that -- it is so well balanced and maneuverable that it doesn't need it, except perhaps to balance a poorly loaded boat on a multi-day trip. Going with the foam seat as I have saves about 8 lbs of weight.

11-14-2002

If you are looking for the most seaworthy, sea kindly sea kayak made and have not considered the Mariner Express you may well be settling for second best. I've had mine since April and have found it everything the excellent Mariner web site says it is. Tracking, turning, edging, surfing, it does is all. The best thing about it is the worse the weather gets the better the Express gets. The unique deck rigging is ingenious in its flexibility. Paddling the Express you get the feeling every aspect of the kayaking experience has been thoughtfully considered and attended to. Call the shop and talk to the owners/designers of Mariner Kayaks Matt and Cam Broze. Explain what you want from your kayak. Listen to what they say. You are quite likely going to end up with a kayak better than you might have imagined. My expectations were sky high when I got mine and my expectations were surpassed. If ten is the highest rating available this kayak is easily a twelve!

05-06-2002

I picked up an Express after owning 5 other kayaks over a 12 year period. I bought it sight unseen and without paddling one beforehand. I chose this kayak after carefully considering what I wanted a kayak for. I wanted a rough water boat that does good in the surf and paddles through wind and chop with ease. I wanted a boat that was easy to roll. I was not too sure about buying a boat that didn't have bulkheads or hatches but after using this boat for the last six months I feel that the bulkheads and hatches I have on my other boats are just added weight with no real use. I use full sized float bags coupled with a sea sock and I have found this system works great and makes loading and unloading a breeze. The more I paddle this boat the more I like it. I am 5-11 and 215lbs. and the boat fits me perfectly without any additional outfitting. Any bigger and this might might be too small. I wanted a tough boat and Matt talked me into his fiberglass hull. Makes a tuning fork kind of noise when it comes crashing down off the top off large waves. It is sub 50 lbs and I like it. This boat feels great in windy conditions. As controlable as any other I have paddled. It is not particulary fast in my hands but it aint slow either. A very happy medium would describe it's speed. It makes me smile when I paddle it. But then again I smile in an inner tube.

11-19-2001

This is best all around kayak I have ever been in for varied ocean conditions. I have owned more than 30 boats over long paddling career - and this is the boat I would keep above all others. Simply the best handling rough water boat I have seen. Surfs wonderfully (but not as good as Coaster). Easy paddling effort for miles and hours. Moving seat allows changing positions. Once you understand how hull dynamics work, the directional stability is fine. This thing loves rough water.

05-09-2001
Submitted by: LeeG

I got the Express sight unseen 8yrs ago on the recomendations of a few experienced paddlers. The Express is a very full boat for it's length with more volume in the bow than any other kayak I've seen. It is a very secure kayak in rough waters, very well balanced with regards to weathercocking but with an inexperienced paddler the bow will blow down wind. I started to learn how to paddle with this kayak after paddling for 4yrs previously in other boats. The lack of front bulkhead can be a problem if one doesn't keep floats maintained. Good boat for surf launchings and landings.