Product Reviews > Canoes > We-no-nah Canoe > Sandpiper Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sandpiper Canoe by We-no-nah Canoe

Rated: 9.08/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-22-2013
Submitted by:

Great canoe as is needs no modification's handle wind and class 3 and below rapids with ease. A highly responsive craft worthy of a top place amongst affordable ul kevlar hull

09-19-2012
Submitted by: JudithSend Email

I can't imagine why this wonderful little canoe was discontinued. I've had my kevlar ultra-light with wood rails (30 lbs) for at least 8 years. I use it for tripping in the BWCA and for fly-in solo trips in Wabakimi Provincial Part. Unlike others who lowered the seat, I jacked the seat up to the rails in back with the front about an inch lower. I mainly kneel and need the seat this high to do so, but feel comfortable sitting unless the water is rough or fast. It is important to say that that my center of gravity is rather low. I use two internal frame packs, one front, one back, both sit below the rails. With a load it is much more stable. But it is quick and lively unloaded--lots of fun to paddle. It handles wonderfully in a wind. It is the perfect small solo that I looked for for many years. I'll never part with it. If you spot a used one for sale, grab it.

03-26-2007
Submitted by: HarrySend Email

I just bought a sandpiper in Kevlar ultralight and had my first tour today on flat water, but stormy weather with changing winds up to 8 bf. My dealer said it would be too small for my 200 pd at 5'9", but he was wrong. The boat handled just the way I wanted it; much better than my prism kev., which would turn around like hell. If the wind grabs it, I can turn it back into direction with one single stroke (I used a werner ikelos kayak-paddle, which is an extremely powerful paddle). So I donīt know why wenonah stopped the production of this nice little boat. Try it, if you can get one.

01-20-2005

If you don't have a ton of money to spend on different boats for different situations and you need one good multi-purpose canoe, this is the one! It's fast enough for slow rivers (with my kayak paddle I can keep up with the 'yakkers easily unless there's a strong wind). But it does also work on *small* rapids. I've had it on smallish Class 2's with no problems. It combines the best of both speed and maneuverability. It is also friendly to us smaller paddlers. My boat is Royalex and only weighs 39 lbs. so it's super-easy to lift and carry too.

I don't seem to have any trouble carrying gear for a camping trip. My Duluth pack sticks up above the gunwales some but that's about it.

Definitely consider lowering the seat in this boat. Mine is a 2000 model year, and after I dropped the seat a couple of inches there was a noticeable increase in comfort and performance.

The only thing I wish was different was the color choices. I would like to see them offer the boat in red. I got stuck with ivory (it was a demo so I had to take what they had--couldn’t get a spruce one). The ivory is butt-ugly but not enough for me to dock a point from my review rating, LOL.

If I had to buy my first solo canoe all over again, I'd be looking for a Sandpiper.

08-18-2003
Submitted by: YakpunkSend Email

First of all, the Sandpiper, it even says right in the brochure, is not designed for two things:- Carrying Gear- WhitewaterSo, if you are doing those things with a Sandpiper, wrong boat for the job. I have an older Royalex Sandpiper with the higher seat (Mines an 02, 03s have a much lowered seat and a thwart right behind the seat, similar to the Bell Rob Roy from what I gather), which I like because as you kneel in the boat Bill Mason 'Canoe Bad Ass' style, it provides more manuverability, and you can tuck in a bit under the seat. Also, sitting kneeling is more comforatable with the higher seat if you have big feet. I've also tried the Sandpiper with the new seat, and much prefer the 'old' style. The boat simply performs. When leaned up on edge, I can keep up with 14'-18' Kayaks being paddled by competent paddlers, because the water line of the boat is so tiny. (Literally 4-6" wide, an inch or two deep, and 12' long) Granted, in wind and waves this position is not possible, but it is more fun on flat water than could possibly be legal. When the going gets tough I shift back into the seat, knees out and I've got a rock solid platform. I don't even hesitate to stand up in this boat, if you've got the balance, it's a stable craft.I never thought I'd own a canoe, but after trying dozens as I learned solo\freestyle technique, I came back to this boat over and over, and had to have one. If you stay in the seat more than not, you probably want to consider the Vagabond; more weight carrying capacity, more speed, and it will take whitewater better. However, I found the Vagabond simply does not perform when leaned up on it's edge... It was a combination of me not being able to find the 'sweet spot' and the boat not wanting to stay edged. Finally, if you are a canoeist considering purchasing a kayak, give a Sandpiper a shot! 38lbs, much lighter than most poly kayaks, a great price, easy to handle, and if you're older, a breeze to get in and out of. Not only that, but you can paddle it with a kayak paddle in high winds to help yourself along! (But don't admit it to any of your friends.)

02-12-2003
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I've had my Sandpiper for one full canoe season now. Took it out on rivers and lakes about 16-18 times last summer and generally loved it. I also lowered the seat about 2 inches, which does help stability. I'm six foot, so don't think lowering it any more would be comfortable for the six hour river trips I took. I may go with another couple inches and then add a 2" foam pad. The seat is only comfortable for about two hours for me. The canoe is a great all-around solo craft. Takes some tallent to keep up with the Kayaks on the 20-25 mile river trips, but I have many other things going for me, including a boat I can pick up with one hand.

11-24-2002

Well I wanted to wait until I spent some time in my sandpipper before I gave a review.I have been canoeing for over 25 years lakes,rivers,etc..and never been dumped, but I came very close the first time I tryed to paddle this one [ first solo boat] it was very tippy until I droped the seat down 2.5 inches, this helped alot.I use a wood yak paddle and this little boat moves!It is fast and turns on a dime,easy to stay on track with a yak-paddle it gets in and out of tight spots with ease.Im glad that I gave it chance before I took it back to [oak orchard canoe] I just needed time to get used to a skinny canoe. It's a very fine looking boat and I love passing kayak's and small powerboats on the lake. the light weight roylex lay up makes portaging a simple and easy task.I will update after a light weight trip down the Allegany river- (c:I-II) this summer.

05-06-2002

I used the Sandpiper on a self-supported trip on the Middle Fork Salmon River last year. It works, not much room for error though when fully loaded in whitewater. It may even be my favorite ... just enough boat to do it all.

02-27-2002

Since I've only paddled it a few times in the 3 weeks since I bought it I can't give a total review of the boat. But I marvel at the light weight and low cost of the boat. This is the third royalex boat I've had and I'd like to warn people that the sandpiper's outerskin is very thin and prone to scratching, unlike the other two I've owned. What I would advise is that you select the alaskan ivory (offwhite) color rather than the green. The lighter boat will not show the scratches nearly as much. I know of no other boat that sells in the neighborhood of 600 bucks that weighs so little and performs so well.

07-16-2001

My Sandpiper seemed a little tippy to me as I am not an experienced canoeist but I lowered the seat four inches and it made all the difference in the world.I could not have made a better choice as I truly wanted a canoe that was easy for me to put on top of car.I also looked at the Old Town Pack but I think the Sandpiper tracks better also.Anyone can e-mail me if they have any questions about this canoe.

07-10-2001
Submitted by: KelsyAnne

A nice little canoe. I was looking for a solo canoe to use when I couldn't drag a family member out of bed to use our tandems (a Spirit II and Jensen). I test paddled several canoes including a Kevlar Mad River Independance and a couple other Wenonah boats -- this was going to be my last resort (I thought that for it's price, it wasn't going to be all that great). I was wrong. It's stable, easy to paddle and amazingly manuverable(and I had never soloed before).

Three cheers for Wenonah -- another great canoe to add to it's ranks!

04-30-2001
Submitted by: HiawathaSend Email

I just purchased a new We-no-nah "Sandpiper" and have really enjoyed paddling it. It's a 13.5 ft x 29" solo and weighs in at 36 lbs. A little "tippy" til you get used to it but lowering the seat was a big help in this area. This is a great little boat for freestyle canoeing; it's very quick and responsive. I use an 8.5' feathered kayak paddle for cruising which really makes it step out and at the same time adds a bit of security in the stability department when on choppy water.

Piragis Northwoods Company
Free Shipping on New Canoes from Piragis Northwoods Company or pick up in Ely, MN and get $100 off

Pelican Intl.: