Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Pro SI 149 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Pro SI 149 Kayak by Ocean Kayak

07-26-2012
Submitted by: chrisSend Email

I own the first 149 Pro SI since Ocean Kayak made them bought it in July 2002. I have used it in Lake Erie from Sandusky Ohio to Pelee island Ontario and most of Ohios rivers. I have added navigation lights and a Minkota motor for hunting and fishing and love it I would rate it an eleven I have even had it out in Lake Erie in five foot white caps and enjoyed the ride

08-05-2004
Submitted by: LCSend Email

We got this boat while on vacation on Chincoteague island. I have paddled a similar Dagger Carolina. The Ocean Kayak was much more economical and paddles as well. If you are around Virgnia pay a visit to the local Kayak shop on Chincoteague island. They bought out the warehouse and are giving a great deal on these.

12-10-2001
Submitted by: DRBSend Email

I am a kayaker and professional photographer with a great deal of bulky camera gear and a tripod that I bring with me on photo shoots. My gear stowes easily in through the large hatches of the 149, providing quick and easy access when needed. The 149 is further very stable, tracks well and has a roomy and comfortable cockpit. One excellent boat!

07-23-2001
Submitted by: ShaneSend Email

I would like to echo Burrs comments! GREAT boat. My only issue, where Ocean Kayak placed the shock cord on the front. Whoever designed the attatchment points wasn't thinking. They have depressions around them and will take in water. It's not a big deal for me, but it is annoying to feel that "drip-drip" as the little depressions fill with water.

05-29-2001
Submitted by: BurrSend Email

I have been looking for a Kayak for myself for over 2 months. I have attended 7 different demos. I have taken classes and have rented several boats that were top contenders. I did my homework by reading this web site, and all the back issues of the major kayaking magazines that I could get my hands on.

I am 6'1" and 250 lbs I am an avid skier and cyclist. I am an aerospace engineer and a father with 8 year old twins and a 10 year old that love kayaking so much they saved their own money to buy their own kayaks (their reports in their own words will be submitted soon on their boats). Out of all this I developed a picture of an optimum kayak: Plenty of storage for the family's stuff for camping and day trips, Good stability for rescue and righting of boat and child in case of trouble, Good comfort for legs and back, Good design, durable construction, Fast, easy to turn, holds a turning edge well, Tracks straight, Good freeboard when loaded.

I was told by many sales people and representatives that this combination was impossible. I almost overlooked Ocean Kayak as a brand because I knew that a sit on top was out of the question. I was introduced to the 14.9 a perfect demo day. Winds 15-25; seas 1-2 feet; water temp low 50s air temp low 50s i.e. a great day to test a kayak. Well the 14.9 passed with flying colors. I bought one.

Yesterday I was out on a local small lake (1 mile x 2 mile). While in the middle a quick storm came up with heavy rain and white caps but I was perfectly comfortable. I was able to reach shore quickly and even in a side broaching sea was dry. In conclusion for a person of my size and needs this is the optimum boat.

05-22-2001

Rented a 149 several times. Tracks ok. The high deck profile pushes it leeward quite a bit. More than most. Isn't very responsive to rudder until the rudder is turned a lot. Hatches are large and there's a lot of storage space. Difficult to brace and lean. Compared to others in it's class; IE: Perception Carolina, the Carolina is much, much more responsive and better equipped.

05-07-2001
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I did not know anything about the Ocean Kayak until our local REI store had its annual paddling day. I went to try another kayak but ended up trying the Pro SI 149. I was impressed with the way it handled. It turns well,tracks straight and the storage hatches are impressive.I rented one for a trip down the Topock Gorge on the lower Colorado River. After the 17 mile trip I was sold on this kayak. For the river trips I have planned this is a perfect kayak. It will hold two weeks worth of supplies easily. It has no problems with the wakes of big motor boats and it can handle swift water. So I purchased one. The only thing that may knock off a point is the weight. At 64 pounds it is not the easiest kayak to put on top my car. I'm now ready for all the rivers I can find.

03-05-2001
Submitted by: AJSend Email

Having paddled sit-on-tops for years, (mostly Ocean Kayak) I was curious when I heard they were making a sit inside Finally, a couple of weeks ago I got to check one out. When I first saw the SI149 it was obvious it was an Ocean Kayak. Anyone who knows what a Scupper Pro is will notice the similar look, same hatches and same basic shape. From there things change, this boat has a large cockpit, 2 pro hatches, 2 unique bulkheads and a seating system that uses the same plastic foam backrest and seat as the sit-on-tops. This kayak is cool! Once I got my feet in position it was very comfortable and on the water it was too fun!!! It is probably the most natural feeling kayak I've paddled. It tracks great, turns easily, trys to surf on the smallest chop and even rolls without a problem. For their first sit inside kayak OK did better than OK.