Product Reviews > Kayaks > Aire > Lynx II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Lynx II Kayak by Aire

Rated: 9.6/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Lynx II Kayak by Aire

Length: 12' 6" - Width: 39.00" - Starting at: $1459.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Aire Logo

06-06-2011

We bought 2 Lynx II IK's when our children were small. That was 19 tears ago. We use them 6 to 10 times a year. They still look almost new

Submitted by: outdoorZ - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.altrec.com

I purchased this Kayak over 2 years ago and it is worth every penny. I had previously bought another brand and that lasted only 3 months and had to be returned. The Lynx II has lasted so long considering how much I use it. I have taken it everywhere. It has been on the lake, river, ocean, lagoon.

It is very stable because of the holes at the bottom, cuts waves great. The only time you would have a hard time paddling is if it is windy. It is very durable considering I use it at least 2-3 times a month. It is so easy to inflate and deflate and fit perfectly in my car, including the Audi TT. It is also eye catching and I have had many people stopped and ask me about it. Highly recommend it for durability, portability, comfort and beautiful look.

Pros:
Great design, Build quality, Performance, Ease of use

Submitted by: - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.altrec.com

This is a great boat for overnight trips with one child and gear, or an adult and gear for several days. Compared to our hardshells, the Lynx II are Barcaloungers.

Submitted by: - Rating: 10 of 10
This review courtesy of www.altrec.com

I was initially looking at purchasing the tomcat II make by aire (tribute line), but decided to buy the lynx II due to better quality of the raft. The lynx II is extrememly comfortable, I use it with my friend we are both under 150 lbs so weight limit is not a problem. In fact, I am sure we could load it up with enough camping equipment for 1-2 nights ad still have enough leg room (however, we are also both under 5'6").

I was worried that the raft would be too wide for me to paddle comfortably (since I am a little small and short). However, paddling has not been an issue so far. The raft is not made for open water therefore it does not track that well but it does track better than the tomcat. The raft is very stable and I believe that it feels much more stable than the tomcat. Stability is also better than the bandit made by NRS. The seats are very comfortable and easily adjustable even once you are in the raft and on the water.

The back of the seats have a pocket and a holder for water bottles. Foot pegs and thigh straps can be purchased for further comfort and control but I have not tried the raft with those accessories yet. Inflating and deflating is both quick and easy. I inflate it with the bravo foot pump and it only takes about 8 minutes. I am able to carry the raft by myself if rolled up, and is easily carred by two people once inflated. Storage is easy since it rolls up into the size of an inflatable full mattress.

Even though the lynx II is an expensive raft I feel that the quality of the raft will pay off in the long run. I believe it is the most comfortable two person raft I have also been in (have tried rafts by NRS and other Aire models). Overall I am very happy with my purchase.

06-08-2010

I've owned my Aire Lynx II inflatable kayak for just over a year, and my experience has been a delight. Very fast to inflate, this boat is also built like a tank: Unlike most inflatables, I have no fear of this one sinking, and it's backed by a 10 year warranty.

Control is very sure via my 4-piece 230cm (90 in.) paddle, and this boat can turn on a dime. In windy weather, control can be an issue (as with all inflatables), but in rough water this boat tends to skim over the top of waves rather than punching through them.

Overall, I'd recommend the Lynx II for paddlers of Beginning to Intermediate ability looking for an easy-to-use get-out-and-go kayak that's easily portable, rugged, and good looking (I regularly receive compliments RE: my boat). While there are less expensive inflatables available, I like knowing that my boat can stand up to rocks and water hazards far better than most.

04-17-2006
Submitted by: Brian RichardsonSend Email

Northern Rim Wilderness Adventures utilizes only the very best, superior class inflatable watercraft. We oar-rig (row) and paddle a number of exemplary American manufactured designs in our river-running task force including: Self-bailing rafts, Catarafts, IKs (inflatable kayaks), IC (inflatable canoes), and personal Paddle Cats. Currently, we furnish our fly-in, remote destination, wilderness adventure, and whitewater float trips with the advanced, modern design and exceptional product line from AIRE. We depend on AIRE that produces the highest quality, trustworthy inflatables in the world.

The IK (inflatable kayak) is the perfect getaway boat. Test your inspiration of running Alaska's rivers with the support of a raft trip. On easier stretches of the river trips, it is sometimes nice to have the ability to float independently from the rest of the group as an optional extra. Possibly you want a taste of the frothy stuff and paddle more tricky sections? For example: you'd like to have some personal challenge on your trip and added fun as a feature. Great idea!!! While you play - Your gear is stowed, waterproof, and protected aboard the large whitewater rafts or cats & safety or support are floating close at hand. The AIRE Lynx IK is all PLAY either way! (When I first hopped into this boat, I could not wipe the grin from my face - I'm convinced the same will happen to you!)

05-16-2005

Floated the Escalante a week ago in a Lynx II accompanied by my backpacking buddy (Both Lynx IIs were his :-) ). It was an incredible trip, to say the least. 70 miles of turns, rocks, Russian Olive sweepers, and riffles. The water was very good - for the Escalante. Took my two Border Collies, Starr and RocsAyn, along. They ended up laying or sitting between our legs and did splendidly. These IKs did so well that I'm purchasing a Lynx I for future trips next week. Tough boats, smacked rocks, scraped gravel and rocks, dodged trees, portaged a few places - all I can say is wow! Packed the IK out at Coyote Creek. Yep, you can strap these critters on a backpack for miles, then go back and get the gear. Can you believe the 10 year unconditional warranty - awesome.

09-15-2003
Submitted by: cstork

This is the most expensive 2 man IK on the market and you get value for your money. It handles well, it is comfortable, and it is very, very stable on the river. Everything is well made. The seats are comfortable. The thigh straps are good. It is the right size for two adults. Other 2 man IK's are a little small. If you plan on storing it deflated, pay the extra $200 for the air floor. Also, pay the $50 to get the medium size rear gear bag.

03-16-2001
Submitted by: Dave YoungSend Email

Having done wilderness raft guiding in Alaska off and on for 20 years, I was sick and tired of beefing rafts, frames, etc. into floatplanes. I bought an Aire :ynx II with ethafoam floor when they first came out and have been overjoyed with its portablility, maneuverability, and toughness. The ethafoam floar is a bit bulky but I have done numerous solo trips with 8 days of gear and didn't pack lightly! You can't overload the thing. I am paddling Oregon now and just acquired another lynx II, but it has a ridiculous multipiece nonflexible floar. I originally felt it might cause less bruising in those shallow streams, if you know what I mean, but the pieces are awkward to handle and store. I would sure like to try their air cell floor. nonetheless I can't speak highly enough of this incredible product and the Aire folks are top notch to deal with.

02-26-2001

We purchased this craft after using the Hyside Padillac 2 for a couple of seasons. We found it to be much faster than the Hyside! Actually, when friends rented a Lynx 2 they were leaving us in their wake, crying for mercy. We traded boats and discovered their secret: the Lynx was skimming as opposed to plowing the water. It handled with so much less effort, that the next season we were selling the Padillac. With my 5' 4" paddling partner up front, everything worked better in the Lynx 2. I had more legroom because these seats take up less room in the boat and it is three inches longer than the Padillac 2. The 11" tubes were easier for her to reach over and this boat seemed happier contending with whitewater maneuvering. It has no keel, so it can be cranked around easier than some others. We bought the thigh straps and that makes a difference when things get demanding. (One stays more connected with the boat). This boat can rather easily be set up for one person (with or without camping gear) and it is sporty enough to be fun. By the way, it is capable of doing multi day, self-supporting river trips with two people on board with gear (if you pack light). My only complaint, thus far, is that debris comes in through the self-bailing cut-outs so one can end up with things like silt and juniper berries between the floor inner tubes and the bottom of the boat. I consider it an engineering flaw and it makes maintaining this boat a real chore, especially if there is much flotsam in the water. If not for this flaw, I could give the Aire Lynx 2 a nearly perfect rating on the fun meter.

Rendezvous River Sports