Product Reviews > Kayaks > Eddyline > Sandpiper Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Sandpiper Kayak by Eddyline

Rated: 8.93/10 Based On: 14 Reviews

07-03-2014

I inherited an old Sandpiper - and although I own two other kayaks, it's my "go to" boat. It's old enough to have no hatches or bulkheads, and it's bounced off enough rocks and scraped over enough gravel banks to have needed repair to the stern keel to stop it leaking. And it's old enough (and light enough!) to have been blown off the top of a car before it was tied down, cracking around about 1/3 of the cockpit coaming - and it's still my "go to" boat. It's been around enough so that the seat back split and has been pop riveted together and it's STILL my "go to" boat. The light weight, maneuverability, comfort, beauty and style mean that when it finally completely falls apart, I'll have to go buy another one, if I can scrape together the money; there are few others out there with the light weight and good looks.

12-12-2013
Submitted by: Mike ManskeSend Email

My wife and I (age 50s) bought two Sandpipers, and just finished our second year with them. We also enjoy them with our teenage sons, numerous visitors who were novice paddlers, and our small dog. We use them in Northern Wisconsin on a chain of 28 lakes (50 acres up to 600 acres), as well as the headwaters of the Wisconsin River.

I agree with the previous reviews: the boat is beautiful, super stable, easy to use (light weight), and fun. It tracks well, is very efficient, and is even fun when we are in 1 foot+ waves out on the bigger lakes. I don't think either of us has ever even fallen out. Many of my wife's girlfriends have used the kayaks as a first time kayaking experience, and they had no trouble putting them in the lake by themselves. The only regret I have is that I bought a very nice (expensive) canoe the year before I bought the kayaks, and it never came off the garage wall last year. I recommend the Sandpiper enthusiastically, and without reservation!

11-13-2013

I have many years of experience paddling sea kayaks and white water kayaks.
As the owner and designer for Falcon Sails, I always want to know more. Since our sails are so commonly installed on recreational kayaks, I decided to see how well our sails will perform on a recreational kayak. Now that my daughter is 7 years old, this was a perfect time to acquire a boat of this kind.

Up until recently I had no interest in paddling or owning a recreational kayak. After acquiring and paddling my new Sandpiper I have changed my mind.

Today I tried this boat for the very first time. I was very pleasantly surprised. I was amazed how it had the best of both worlds in terms of being easy to keep on course, and at the same time, it was very easy to chance the direction I was traveling. This was true even when I put the sail up in the light to moderate winds we had today. The Sandpiper passed this test with flying colors. A boat that will stay on course well with the sail up, and also change directions easily is truly a gem. All these great characteristics come without the complication of a skeg or rudder.

I like how comfortable the boat is. I could easily spend many enjoyable hours in this kayak. I have not taken my daughter out with me yet, but I think it will work out fine as long as she is still small. It is so stable and comfortable, I think I could close my eyes and fall asleep. The foot pegs are very easy to adjust. If somebody changes the foot pegs, and I manage to not notice until after I paddle away, I will not have to return to shore like many boats require.

The construction, and finish are very well done. Based on my sea kayaking friendís experience with Carbonlite, I have always known it is a great material. I have been watching this material for over 10 years, and the reports are always the same. Eddyline boat owners consistently say great things about Carbonlite. It has the great look of a fiberglass boat, and at the same time, out performs all the other plastic boats in what plastic does so well. Not that I suggest you abuse your boat, I can tell you Carbonlite 2000 material will look great even if you do.

After taking the time to install a sail rig on this boat, my impressions of this material have only improved. I knew Carbonlite was good stuff before I owned a Sandpiper. My experience with the Sandpiper only confirms this belief. Carbonlite is stiff, smooth, and makes a light weight boat that is a pleasure to carry.

A long time sea kayaking friend of mine that is very hard his boats, asked me to take some for sale pictures of his "old boat" which is an Eddyline Fathom made of Carbonlite. Even after 6 years of constant heavy use that boat looks almost brand new. My 24 megapixel slr camera could not reveal anything except hard to see scratches. There is less than one 20th of the scratching you would find on a fiberglass boat, or the typical rotomolded polyethylene boats. His "old" boat shows very few signs of aging. It is truly amazing.
Carbonlite will hold their value extremely well even after many years of use.

The fact this boat has bulk heads, sets it apart again from other boats in the recreational class. First if you keep the hatch covers on, it makes swamping the boat impossible. The bulkheads also add structural strength to the deck and hull. The bulk heads also allow for storage where you can organize and keep dry whatever you want to bring on an adventure. Since my boat has been made, Eddyline has improved the Sandpiper to include some very nice rubber deck hatches which is ideal. They are plenty big so you can quickly load and unload the dry storage area. If my boat had these like the upgraded design does, I would like this boat even more.

I talked about looks, but this deserves another mention. The boat looks great. The one I have has a red deck, and a white hull. The deck has contours to it that add to its structural strength, and at the same time just look really cool. This boat has a black cockpit coaming that really makes it look great.

The bottom line is the Sandpiper is a comfortable, easy to paddle, easy to carry, stable, light weight kayak that looks great, and will continue to be all these things over many years. If you want a very good quality light weight recreational kayak, this boat has to be on your short list. If you want a recreational kayak that sails well in moderate conditions, this boat does very well.

07-31-2013
Submitted by: Don SchimpffSend Email

I bought mine because I like to take my dog along and the cockpit is perfect for a medium size dog of about 50+/- lbs. The kayak is lighter than most so I can handle it alone and it tracks well, even with my dog in front between my knees and feet. It seems to be the perfect kayak for we Senior Citizens because of the weight and handling. I highly recommend it to my friends.

07-05-2012

This was one of only few kayaks I considered to buy for solo paddling. Weight for 12 footer was putting it on top of my list. Unfortunately this kayak has very low back support. I can't see myself sitting in this kayak and not being able to take some rest.

03-26-2012
Submitted by: PLieberSend Email

I owned a Pungo 120 and thought I would move up to a lighter craft. So I bought the Sandpiper. Frankly I can't tell much difference between the two. Certainly it's not worth the $300 more. Am looking to sell the Sandpiper and moving up to a longer (16 - 17 ft) boat.

08-19-2011
Submitted by: JSWSend Email

I just got a 2011 Sandpiper after paddling 6 or 7 similar boats. What I love:
The carbonlite 2000 material is top of the line and does not flex at all that I can tell.
The boat is only 38lbs. I can lift it easily and carry it by myself (40-something female).
The cockpit is long and wide.
The boat is smooth in the water and tracks well with decent speed for such a wide boat.
This boat is stable!
I live in Oregon and the boat was made by a family-run company right up in WA. I like buying local when all things are equal.
Dual bulkheads on these later model Sandpipers - if you flip it (I can't see how you would unless you took it into the sea) you can get it back up easy enough.

What I don't like:
no storage on deck - no bungees or anything (but the cockpit is huge).
A little more money than similar boats... That's really it.

I give this boat a 9.5 really. It is pretty close to perfect. I wish they made it in a 14ft length and had deck storage but no boat has everything I guess.

03-03-2005

My Sandpiper is the BEST! I can load it, launch it and enjoy it alone or with a group. It is very maneuverable, comfortable, tracks beautifully. I have been paddling with very bad knees and never had a problem getting in or out (most times w/ a little help from friends. I now have 2 new knees and am anxiously awaiting "Ice Out" in NH so I can be one with my Sandpiper!

03-01-2005

The Sandpiper is a great little boat. Lightweight, roomy, and beautiful to look at as well as paddle. Very stable. I even take my granddaughter out with me. If she doesn't go, my dog does. Lots of room.

07-12-2004
Submitted by: TerrySend Email

Into our third season with our Sandpipers. Both my wife and I are delighted with these well-designed, nimble kayaks. We were initially attracted by the light weight(38#), large cockpit, excellent lines and spiffy finish. We paddle regularly with a group using mostly high end touring kayaks, and we have no trouble keeping up with the pack--and we can outmaneuver them any time we poke into narrow estuaries and rivers.

I'd suggest the Sandpiper to anyone looking for a highly stable, easily paddled and carried boat. Although we do alot of loon watching, photography, and poking around shores and islands, we've been in two foot chops on large lakes. In those circumstances, an Eddyline skirt (about $70) is a very good idea. One shortcoming which can be remedied: Our boats came with no bulkheads or watertight compartments. When capsized in a self-rescue drill, they became submarines and couldn't be pumped dry enough to permit re-entry after capsizing. Fortunately, we found adding four bags in a split configuration (available from NRS) completely remedied this problem. The bags are unobtrusive and add no weight.

07-09-2004
Submitted by: Joe CSend Email

The Eddyline Sandpiper is an underrated kayak...I use this 12 footer mostly in bays, off the coast of Maine...tracks well, manuevers easily...absolutely love this kayak...No complaints whatsoever...if anyone has a problem with cupholders and no rigging...I suggest they go horseback riding...!

06-24-2003

Purchased the Sandpiper this spring. Great looking kayak with fine lines and low profile in the water. Enjoy the open cockpit and light weight of the kayak. Probably the most attractive kayak on the market for its size and style. On ponds and streams it has tracked well. Fast enough for a kayak of this width. Have yet to take on waves or whitewater. The limits of this kayak would be in med. chop or anything over class 2. Don't reccomend using this kayak to bounce off rocks in a low stream but it can go over some shallow spots. Price is high but the quality is clear to see.

12-27-2001

The Sandpiper is a delightful recreational boat. (My other kayak is a Dagger Baja.) I spend much time on flat slow moving east Texas creeks/rivers. The Sandpiper is ideal for maneuvering in and around the plentiful cypress coves found in this part of the state. The Sandpiper tracks well and cruises nicely for its length. We call it the "party barge" -because of its excellent stability. Also nice for fishing. The sizable cockpit - makes a spray skirt necessary in winter (paddle dripping). Also difficult to edge without the aid of a 2 X 4 across your lap :) I agree with the previous reviewer re: the cupholder. I too, find it a bit unusual.

02-08-2001
Submitted by: TDSend Email

This is a great kayak with a few flaws. No deck rigging, no hatches, and not cheap at about $950.00. It is a beautiful boat, lightweight (35lbs) and very fast and manuverable. The worst problem believe it or not was the cup holder(I understand it has been modified in the 2001 model) it felt like someone pushing their foot into my crotch...ouch! Bad design. Without that, I probably wouldn't have bought my Pungo, but all is well as they say.