Product Reviews > Accessories > Mitchell Coastal Kayak Paddle Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mitchell Coastal Kayak Paddle

Mitchell Paddles, Inc. Logo
See Products from Mitchell Paddles, Inc. in the Buyers' Guide!
Mitchell Paddles, Inc. in the Buyers' Guide:
  • Whitewater Canoe Paddles
  • Touring Kayak Paddles
  • Touring Canoe Paddles
  • Bent Shaft Canoe Paddles
  • Whitewater Kayak Paddles

09-02-2011

As the two previous reviews have said, the Mitchell coastal paddle is a fabulous touring paddle. It is sleek, light, and the design easily allows for both deep and sweeping strokes with equal grace for both. I have a 17' wooden touring boat and use it to complement it. I have taken the coastal out on some fairly long paddles -- the longest a recent eight-miler that I did in just under 2 hrs. -- and the paddle is partly the reason I made it so fast. I could still have kept going if time had not intervened.

I have the solid paddle. It is permanently flared at right angles. It took me some time to get used to this, but I got it for fairly inexpensively and it's changed my distance paddling. While probably not good for much else, it is probably unbeatable as a touring paddle. the coastal is light, is well-made, with a nice finish. I love it.

04-20-2001
Submitted by: Kayak_KrazySend Email

Mitchell Horizon Greenland style paddle. Excellent ,well made with numerous finish coats. If you like the feel of wood paddles this is a great one.

02-05-2001
Submitted by: GerrySend Email

Excellent touring paddle -- hardwood (ash, I think) shaft with laminated cedar and spruce blades. Blades are fairly narrow at the tip, but flare out at the mid-point. Interesting design that allows me to get a pretty powerful stroke if I dig deep, but also allows me to use the paddle Greenland-style (and with the length, I can get some pretty impressive sweep strokes in...) I have the take apart model, but solid models are also available. I think Mitchell is a pretty small shop -- my e-mail to them was returned promptly by one of the owners, and went right to my question w/out the usual marketing hype. If you're looking for a versatile wooden touring paddle, take a look at this one.