Product Reviews > Canoes > Dagger > Venture 17 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Venture 17 Canoe by Dagger

08-02-2002

I purchased two Dagger Venture 17 and have found them to be very stable and having more capability than my family and I have as paddlers. We're new to the sport and my children range from age 5 to 13.

Before we learned of how very important water flow information is when rating a river, we paddled a local river and the Venture got us through. We later learned that it was rated a class III river, not the class II we thought it would be (10,000 cfs vs. 4000 cfs). Stability and the ability to turn characterize the Venture. We loaded both boats for a 14 day tour in Montana carrying 80 lbs. of water in each boat plus children and outfit. The total load was about 750 to 800 lbs. The Venture was stable and still able to turn.

It takes a long time to get a boat, and the factory does make many, many mistakes. But, when it is time to get on the water....the venture has been a good deal for my family of 7.

08-01-2001

I bought a slightly used royalex Venture this winter and used it on the Harricana and Turgeon rivers in Quebec this summer. My Venture has wood trim. We had another Venture with vinyl trim and we also had a Swift Yukon. The Venture hull is very well designed for traveling loaded. It performed quite well in whitewater and standing waves. Many times I could see the bow rise up out of a hole throwing water off to each side. This would not have happened in my 16 foot Explorer. A very dry boat indeed. However, the wood trim on my boat was considerably undersized. Especially the inner rail. Not only was it too small, the rail had been countersunk about half way through to recess the seat and thwart bolts. It was obvious there would be problems and by the end of the trip the rail showed signs of splitting at one of the holes on the rear seat. Part of that problem was due to the fact the seats ends were cut too short, allowing the seat to move sideways several inches. If the seats had fit snuggly inside the hull, I don't think the rail would have split. I hope Dagger has corrected this obvious design problem. The wind is a major problem with the high ends. The Yukon, with it's lower profile, paddled easier in strong winds but it took on more water in the rapids. All-in-all, I really like this boat when it is used as a whitewater tripping boat. I don't think it could get much better. Maybe the vinyl rails would be the best choice. The wood rails fit so tightly in the ends that they HAVE to be unscrewed to allow for hull shrinkage during winter storage. My Venture show signs of small cracks in the tip of each end because the previous owner had failed to do this. Easy to repair, though. Back to the garage now to install some better inner rails. The boat will be my number 1 tripping canoe from now on.

10-18-2000
Submitted by: Trevor SowersSend Email

I bought this canoe because I needed a versatile canoe that can handle a big load. I have paddled it empty and I have paddled it loaded with my wife and I, our two kids and our three dogs not to mention three days worth of camping gear (approx. 700 lb). Tracks great (maybe a little too good with heavy load) handles big waves on big lakes and in class 2-3 whitewater and cruises at a respectable pace. Very dry ride. When my boys are able to paddle I may even buy another venture 17. Although I am curious how this boat compares to the Swift Yukon and Mad River Explorer.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!