Product Reviews > Kayaks > Trinity Bay > Mallard II Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Mallard II Kayak by Trinity Bay

Rated: 8.75/10 Based On: 4 Reviews

08-01-2005
Submitted by: Wayne TippinSend Email

I have two single-seat Mallards and it is the best kayak I've owned. Easy to paddle, stable, and great to fish from. The skeg keeps it going straight and the high bow cuts the waves like a knife. I take it into rivers, lakes, the bay and the Gulf of Mexico. That last one however was a one-time event - the Mallard does not like surf. Better use a sit-on-top for surf. Bow waves from barges are no problem, but rolling surf will fill the boat in a second. Great kayak for fishing and exploring quiet water.

07-01-2003

I purchased my tandem Mallard II about 2 years ago and am the second owner. Before I had the kayak it was used at a rental shop. The kayak is a great open pit kayak, and can take lots of abuse. I base that by the construction and the fact that even though it is a rental it is in great shape. I have had it on lakes both calm and in the wind in NH, and also at Pea Island reserve in the outer banks in NC. It handles very well in the wind and some waves. My brother in law rented a old town tandem 160 and you can really see the difference in the construction and heft. That brings me to the only downside, at 82 pounds it is not the easy to handle alone, but with a cart I manage. For me, with a few kids, there is so much room it is great. I've had my son and nephew fishing at Pea Island and there was plenty of room for everything. Plus, after 16 hours on a roof rack with a cargo carrier strapped inside the kayak, it doesn't take long for any bend from the sun to straighten out. Best $225 I've spent in a while.

07-09-2002

Great tandem for fishing and carrying gear. Paddles well, tracks straight. Paddles a little hard in windy conditions. Can carry tons of cargo, but gets wet easily with the large open cockpit. This kayak is stable. Great for lakes and slow rivers. It is fairly heavy.

10-08-2000
Submitted by: KathrineSend Email

I've had it on lakes, big rivers and a small creek. It tracks extremely well...almost too well. Had a hard time maneuvering around logs on the small creek because it wanted to go straight. It's very stable, even on lakes with motor boats churning up wakes. I've paddled it solo with my dog, and also with another person up front, a kid in the middle and a cooler behind me. It's got the biggest open cockpit of any boat in it's class...you can carry as much as a canoe of the same size, yet stay stable with a low center of gravity. It's a great boat for the price....a little heavy, but not bad for two people.

New York Kayak Co.: