Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Stillwater 14 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Stillwater 14 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 12 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

10-03-2011
Submitted by: JuhoSend Email

I bought my Stillwater 14 in about 1999 as a fishing craft to be used on a large lake by my home in Minnesota. It is extremely stable, even with my 90 pound Labrador on board, and under windy conditions; yet small enough for me to carry on my own. (I turn the craft around and sit backwards facing on the front seat when it gets rough). I've taken it into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness five times, and although fiberglass boats are rare on the trail, I've never had any problems. You do need to treat these boats with respect, or risk punching through the hull. Not a speedy craft, but the stability makes up for it. The wicker seats rotted out after about seven years. I am replacing the original material with nylon strapping. The hull gets marked up as soon as you start using it, and you will quickly let go of appearances. Overall, I have been very pleased with the product.

06-30-2011
Submitted by: LJASend Email

Bought my version in 1986 when it was produced by White and it is still in use today - 2011. It is extremely stable and tracks well. My brother and I use it to fish on flat lakes and slight whitewater on the Youghiogeny River in PA. Equipped with trolling motor. Lots of rocks in the Yough River so scratches are inevitable. Who cares what it look like? I've punched holes in it and and scraped the keel almost through the hull but it repairs easily with standard fiberglass.

Don't know if the Old Town version is as good as mine but mine is a warhorse. Stable enough to stand when fishing on a lake or slow moving water. Added seat backs and replaced both cane seats once but it has been worth every penny.

06-10-2009
Submitted by: ChrisGASend Email

I bought a used Stillwater 14 for a recent trip with my 12 year old daughter to 6 Georgia State Parks as part of their Paddle Club Program. My criteria for the canoe was stability and light weight to load and unload from a small SUV. This canoe hit on all marks and was perfect for the task. It is not speedy, but I found it was easy to maneuver in tight situations. It never felt tippy, and tracked reasonably well in high wind, strong tide paddle. Excellent canoe and well made for it's mission.

06-11-2008
Submitted by: RespiratoryMikeSend Email

This is a very stable boat. I went to paddle test a few canoes before making a decision. I test paddled the Camper 15, the Charles River and the Stillwater 14. In my mind, and the minds of the kids I had with me (ages 14+15), the Stillwater was comfortable and had a much better feeling of stability. I have used it mostly on lakes both with 1,2, or 3 people in the boat and it has been a joy. Not the fastest thing on the water but who's rushing in a canoe anyway.

It does scratch like other reviews have said, but not as bad as I had anticipated. I almost didn't buy it because of all the reviews stating how bad it scratched but I'll tell you I am glad I did. I am going river riding in a few weeks and I'll update to let you know how it handled water other then lakes. Good Luck!

10-30-2006

This is my first canoe and and I am extremely happy with the choice. I bought this canoe in August and use it exclusely for fishing. I use this canoe solo and weigth was important. I am able to get it on top of my suv by myself with little trouble. I have gotten better at this as time has gone on. I have a trolloing motor and anchor. With this weight and my 190 lbs I have no problem but do sit backwards. The scatching is true as all have said. I feel very safe and have been on lakes where many power boats have zipped by.

09-01-2006
Submitted by: Bill RaabSend Email

First canoe purchase. Love the light weight. Is incredibly stable even for a clumsy person like myself. I have been nothing but delighted in this canoe. I will admit that tracking is a little tough in the wind. It does scratch easily but that should be expected as that is the norm with all fiberglass canoes. The beauty it has gotten me into far outweighs the marks it has received. I whole heartedly recommend this to anyone looking for a lightweight canoe for lake paddling or slow river work. Great purchase!

11-14-2004

A very stable canoe. Entry line is clean and sharp. The hull is stiff and does not oil-can. It is perfect for lake paddling and fishing. The weight of the canoe is light enough for one person to handle comfortably. It is just a pleasure to paddle it. A nice boat for its price.

08-20-2004
Submitted by: JTHSend Email

Purchased it 6 years ago when I left the mountain streams and moved to the coastal plain of Virginia (i.e., stillwater). Very stable for fly fishing and the full-length keel helps with tracking. I grew up with heavy Indian brand fiberglass canoes, but this one weighs only 54 pounds, so I can load and portage it myself. Added an anchor outrigger and trolling motor this year for fishing - it almost tries to plane when the motor is in high speed! Canoe is flat and wide, so it has a shallow draw and glides nicely through deadfall in cypress/tupelo swamps. Only down side is the thin gelcoat finish, which will scratch if you stare at it long enough :)

01-08-2004

I have owned this boat for a year now and I love it. It is a good compliment to the two glass kayaks I own., My only comment would be that it had some construction problems that needed to be corrected in the seats-this I did with a hand full of washers--good as new. very stable boat and a good fishing platform. I would recommend the boat to anyone.

05-23-2001
Submitted by: Toaster

For the most part, this boat has everything a family needs. Excellent stability, light weight and relatively easy to paddle. It is a great boat and it has a lot to offer for the price. However, my one detraction is not a problem with the boat but rather its material. Fiberglass scratches easily and soon after you get this shiny new beauty, it starts to look hammered. I am a bit frustrated that after two trips and having a bunch of scratches. My next boat will be Kevlar.

10-30-1999
Submitted by: Bill BunterSend Email

I own a 14'Stillwater, fiberglass. I am 69 and need the stability it offers. I fish big lakes here in Maine as well as duck hunt on sometimes choppy kennebec & Sasanona rivers. Haven't swamped yet!

05-25-1999

A good canoe of crosslink construction, it held up well to rough landings and other minor abuse. Easy to paddle but a little wide for comfortable paddling. Tracks well except in wind. VERY GOOD initial stability, great for fishing. I can stand up in it (with care) and cast a fishing rod, and I'm 6'1, 225 llbs. Good investment for the money spent, good canoe if used as designed.

Schitt Creek Paddle Wear: