Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Penobscot Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Penobscot Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-06-2014

I bought this canoe used. I like the canoe for fishing because it has good initial stability. I use it for trips in the BWCA. It's not the fastest canoe but works well for a larger guy with a pretty heavy pack. The built in yoke works, but I usually use a detachable one. The built in yoke is a bit low in the boat, so it is difficult to use with a pack on. Overall I'm pretty happy with the canoe.

07-23-2008
Submitted by: garfishSend Email

Had the Penobscot 16 for 20 years. There is no perfect all-around boat, but this one is close.
Very good tandem, and can be soloed with little trouble. Have done 7 day trips with it. For Royalex it is light at 60 lbs. Does well in Class II, and if you are good in Class III with airbags. Stored outside and still looks like new. I suspect the 17' would cruise better, but not be as good a choice for whitewater.

10-30-2004

Purchased used in 2004. I was looking for a lightweight and durable solo and this fit the bill. Will need to install skid plates and eventually replace seat/adjust height but all minor stuff for a great ten year old canoe.

02-12-2001
Submitted by: croixcruiserSend Email

Do they still make Penobscot 15 footers? I had one for two years and took it up to the Kazan River NWT in 94. Four weeks on the water with this boat and it handled great, given the amount of gear I had. At the time it was about the only Royalex Solo boat available. It is fast and back ferries pretty well, but is not the quickest turning boat. I found the boat quite unstable when unloaded, but pretty darn solid with a couple big packs on board. I crossed huge tundra lakes with 3 foot plus waves and felt very safe (with a spray cover). Sadly, I sold this boat to an outfitter on the tundra to avoid the shipping home costs. I hope it carries others to great places.

11-08-2000

I bought my Penobscot 15 last summer at Piragis Outfitters in Ely MN. I am so pleased with both the canoe and service that I'm looking for a reason to return. I have been canoeing for over 25 years, always in a tandom. I have had problems finding partners on short notice ,so I decided to purchase another conae, my fourth. I wanted a solo for camping and wilderness trips. I have taken several trips so far, and I must say I could not be more pleased with my canoe. The Penobscott is very stable with a little weight, and much faster than trying to paddle a Wenonah Spirit or Saranac solo. I'm sure that I don't have the experience with a solo that many others do, but I really like my Penobscott. I can not understand why anyone would want a kevlar solo when the royalex ones are so light, and a lot tougher. I bought my Saranac as a compromise canoe, and it is, it's great for what I use it for, but when I want to get away alone, I take my Penobscot 15.

09-18-2000

A tough, durable solo boat, and a super camper/tripper. I travel light into the BWCA for two weeks and this boat does it all. In eight years, it still has yet to see a repair of any kind, and it gets lots of use. I love the freeboard and narrow beam, 29", it performs well in seas that I would be scared of in a Prism or Solitude. I only wish Old Town still manufactured it's kevlar sister, the Northern Light 15, I'd buy one in a minute!