Product Reviews > Canoes > Langford Canoe Co. > Prospector 15 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Prospector 15 Canoe by Langford Canoe Co.

Rated: 7.5/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes
Research Canoes in the Buyers' Guide!

Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

06-06-2012
Submitted by: SWSend Email

I have been paddling this boat for about 16-17 years now and still think it's the finest river boats I've ever had. A Mad River rep. at an event took it for a spin and said it was the best handling canoe he's ever paddled.

I've had 5 canoes from these guys (sold them in Michigan) and you MUST hand pick your boat as quality varies a great deal. These boat are sold in the States by American Trader's. All the boats are made by some no name company, somewhere in Quebec, although they claim to build them near Lake of Bays.

Of the 5 I kept the Prospector in carbon fiber with ash and mahogany trim, she's gorgeous, fast and turns on a dime!! The wood work is a 12, but the interior coat is for shit. That's why I gave it an 8.
Don't let Keith talk you into taking any boat that is not up to Mad River quality!!

07-16-2002

My kevlar canoe was made to order in 1999 and was designed (by Langford) to be light in weight. The finishing on the canoe was poor relative to the price paid, and I would not recommend buying a canoe without seeing it first. This is not to say that Langford can't make a good canoe -- they just didn't go to much trouble for a canoe that was already paid for.

The design of the canoe was also flawed, in that it didn't have sufficient internal support for the centre section. The middle flexes upward and makes the canoe very slow. While the canoe was light,as requested, they should have known what the minimum reinforcement requirements are and constructed the canoe accordingly.

12-07-2001
Submitted by: no name

My new carbon fiber Prospector 15 is an older canoeist's dream come true. Once again I'll be able to hoist a canoe up to the car and shoulder it easily over portages on daytrips that have been postponed because my beautiful old wood and canvas was getting just too heavy. I haven't done much more that take it for more than a few short paddles; but, for a "plastic" canoe it has a lot going for it. It paddles well - thanks to an excellent design and it has a traditional shape which is to my liking. I've no doubt that the clearcoat over the carbon fiber will scratch easily but - compared with my old cedar strip - maintainance should be a snap. I chose the aluminum gunnels to keep the weight as low as possible (a real 40 lbs) and I've no doubt they'll be noisy at the end of a long day. The interior finish is top-notch. I can hardly wait for spring!

11-07-2000
Submitted by: CDW

Have owned other boats, but this one fits the bill. I have the wood package and the rawhide seats, love the looks and the handling. Been in some pretty rough water and the boat handles well. It handles even better when loaded with several days worth of gear. Overall fit and finish is good.

11-06-2000
Submitted by: Ben O'HaraSend Email

The 17'4" model of this boat is what I and my fellow travelers have been paddling for the past five months on an expediton from Saskatchewan to Ottawa, over 4,500 kilometers of wild Canadian lakes and rivers. This canoe is by far the best I have paddled. It's ability to turn, carry a big load, handle waves (15 foot swells on Superior in it's sleep) and take a beating from intense tripping is why I am so in love with this boat. With a bit of tweeking to the little items, seat placement and gunwale constuction, this boat will be a "9" in no time. The Prospector is an age old shape that has proved itself time and again for it's versitlity in all kinds of water conditions. Langfords version is a treat to paddle, ever 10 hours a day for five months. Also see the review on our other boat the Nahanni. - Ben O'Hara, Boreal 2000 - www.cpaws.org/boreal2000

08-28-2000
Submitted by: D.F.Send Email

I recently purchased Langford's Prospector 15. I am very pleased with the way the canoe paddles. It has good speed and is very nimble. I am however very displeased in the quality of the interior gel coat application and installation of gunnels. There are extensive areas on the inside of the canoe where the weave of the cloth is exposed, application is uneven with runs in some areas and very thin in others. globs of gel coat were not brushed out in the ends. Bolts used for fastening the seats and thwart are uneven and not seated properly in the washers while the phillips heads are stripped out from overtightening. Had I seen the finish of this canoe before I bought it I would have moved on to another canoe. I paid top dollar for a canoe that in my opinion is second quality. moral of the story. don't buy a canoe with out seeing in first. I won't buy another Langford.

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: