Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Tahoe Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Tahoe Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 8.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

07-21-2014
Submitted by: pwSend Email

Well, after doing a lot of research I figured out I wanted a wide short canoe for fly fishing. I found a good deal on a used one, and although it is pretty banged up it is really nice on the water. I've only taken it out on a small lake so far, but couldn't be happier solo and tandem with the Tahoe 14. Mad River makes some nice canoes, I definitely would recommend them. I love the stability that the width offers and it really doesn't track too poorly with 2 people. I would have given it a 10 of 10 but I haven't used it much yet.

06-19-2013
Submitted by: Mike of Rhode IslandSend Email

Just got one used, but in excellent condition. 3 week trip to the Boundary Waters? No. Fishing on a pond? Yes.

I'd agree with the other reviews. Tough and quite light, but short and wide 38" at the gunwale (read tub). I bought it for my two oldest boys (9 and 12). I wanted it to be short so that they could maneuver it well and wide so that they can fish out of it with their little brother between them. They can also carry it without too much whining.

For my uses, I would give it a 10. A keel would be nice for tracking, but I find they they can be a wear point.

06-28-2002
Submitted by: Ken BSend Email

I've had the Tahoe for about four years now and have been very happy with it. I bought it for it's wide beam as my daughters were young when it was purchased. I like it for its stability and light weight (mine is ABS and I think is supposed to be 49 lbs). It is not a speedboat, so don't expect to outstrip other canoes. But it paddles nicely (I've paddled it quite a bit solo; it does well, but there the wide beam works against you). You can carry a pretty good load, as well. The workmanship from the Mad River company is excellent. I would buy another Mad River boat (and like the looks of the Explorer). Overall, a good solid boat.

03-19-2002
Submitted by: HanzSend Email

The Tahoe 14 is what I was looking for, very stable. Now I'm ready for something that tracks better and has some glide. The 14 is great with an electric trolling motor but it is a lot of work when you are the motor. Whoever wrote "stops on a dime" has it nailed. The canoe is light at 55lbs and with the vinyl trim very low maintenance. If you are looking for a better all around canoe get the Explorer in royalex. You will be pleased. The quality of Mad River is excellent.

08-27-2000
Submitted by: Mark

Tahoe 14 is a good novice boat it has good initial stability but it is slow and it's hard to make it track. Good fishing boat keep it on flat water and trim.

08-24-2000
Submitted by: Brad EsserSend Email

A wonderful canoe for first-timers, families or fishermen. Exceptional initial stability - I can stand up easily. Comfortable cane seats for sitting or kneeling. Very slow for cruising - "stops on a dime." The Royalex Lite hull is tough but oilcans. The aluminum gunwales are nice.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports