Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Amaruk Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Amaruk Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

08-06-2013

I have taken the Necky Amaruk out on various lakes and rivers, and am constantly impressed with this tandem. I have several other kayaks that I use for other purposes, with this one serving as the recreational/family boat. It is relatively heavy to portage, and I don't get much help from my small kids. But with a handmade wheel cart I can easily manage to get kids, paddles, PFDs, and all the necessary gear wherever necessary, and get this on top of my truck. While it's relatively heavy, the weight is pretty similar to most plastic tandems and most slightly longer glass tandems. The difference is that the cockpits actually provide a location to hold on to which makes it much easier. And unlike the glass kayaks, with the indestructible poly build I don't have to worry too much about gelcoat stress cracks, rocks, or bumps while transporting.

Build quality is exceptional. Hatches do not leak, and multiple bulkheads really provide an unparalleled level of safety and dry storage. The seats are very comfortable, and also durable. While Wilderness Systems has moved to the cloth seats, I have found these are too flexible and too much of a pain to maintain. These plastic seats provide ample space, very easy to clean, and they allow the kayak to be wiped dry before storing. I've never had an issue with the support, but I also paddle with my PFD on.

Stability is top notch. I have no issue getting in or out of this kayak with it fully on the water. I've enjoyed playing in the motorboat wakes too, as this kayak just climbs right over the waves with very high initial stability. Whether the waves come head on or from the side does not matter, it has never even been close to tipping on me.

Performance is also great. While most all plastic kayaks (particularly tandems) paddle like miniature barges, this one actually cuts through the water quite well. It even tracks well, and with the rudder turns sharply.

Overall I would say that after owning, paddling, and pedaling other plastic kayaks (including Hobie, Old Town, Wilderness Systems, Mark Twain, Ocean Kayak, and other Necky tandem models) this one is by far the best. Yes, aside from the Hobie (which isnít the best comparison) it does cost more Ė but it actually paddles and performs like a real kayak and not a pool toy. Definitely a step up from Necky's Gannett line both in terms of build quality and handling.

12-23-2004

We've had the Amaruk for 4 years and it's great for its stability. My wife can't swim, but loves going out off the coast of Maine. We do the Island Trail in ME and have paddled most of the northeast, including Nova Scotia. It's up for sale now, cause we're moving to AZ, but will probably buy another, a bit faster in a couple of years.

08-11-2003
Submitted by: DP

The Amaruk is an awesome tandem kayak. We have paddled at several sites along the coast of Maine, in addition to bays and lakes in New Hampshire. It is a very stable boat, tracks well and efficiently. In addition, the boat can handle a large amount of gear. The one down side is the weight when the boat is out of water. However, compared to other tandem kayaks we tested, 90 lbs seems light.

07-18-2001

Very stable, comfortable and rugged. Large rudder allows it to turn quickly, even without edging. Roomy enough for camping. Three bulkheads. Only drawback is weight (90 pounds). Paddles nicely but portages reveal the weight.

04-30-2001

I just returned from a trip to the Florida Keys with 23 7th graders. One of the activities was kayaking through the mangroves in the salt flats using the Necky Amaruk. The kids had little to no experience with kayaking, but within a half hour they were doing great. We did have grid lock a few times trying to get through some narrow turns, but there were no spills or tip overs. I found the boat easy to paddle. The kids seemed to zip through the water easily as well, only tiring when they tried to keep the pace too fast. Great boat!

04-17-2001

I bought a Necky Amaruk after test paddling a lot of other double kayaks. It has great stability and is very rugged. My wife and I use it in the ocean and the estuarys south of Boston. We take it north to Bar Harbor and other locations on the coast of Maine frequently. We are very pleased with it. It is a bit heavy, but once in the water it is super!

03-27-2001

I rented a Amaruk last year for a trip along Pictured Rocks in the U.P.. Although the boat had excellent primary and secondary stability, I thought it was a bit too heavy and was kind of sluggish to paddle.

08-18-2000
Submitted by: MehrdadSend Email

During the last few months, I have tried many single and tandem kayaks on Charles River, Boston. For a plastic boat, Amaruk is an excellent tandem with 28.5" width. Although, I wish it was a bit narrower. Cockpit is roomy and for may taste a little bit too big. But overall, the boat has excellent primary and secondary stability. As most tandems, it is heavy 90 lbs.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!