Product Reviews > Kayaks > Futura Surf Skis > Blade Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Blade Kayak by Futura Surf Skis

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

08-05-2004

This boat has changed my life! I've been kayaking since I was a kid (some 35 odd years ago) and have paddled many different boats as well as owning several sit in's and on tops, but the Blade steals my heart. This is not a beginnerís boat, but if you want a challenging vessel that will handle any weather, this is it. I head out form my home here in the Bahamas offshore 3 to 15 miles in weather ranging from flat calm to 30+ knots of wind and 8-10 foot ocean swells (with a nice wind chop off the tops) The boat will take these seas on any point, and a strong paddlers can make better than 5 knots into some of the most brutal winds. I use my Blade to get me out to the Tuna canyons and weed lines to Free Dive the blue water, so wet exits and entries are something I do many times each trip with ease. When the weather kicks up too much to dive I head out to the reef for some wild surfing, and reawaken my inner child....wow this boat surfs! We love this boat so much we are endeavoring to get a second one shipped to the islands for my wife as she has grown to love the handling of the Blade as well.

03-10-2003
Submitted by: PeteSend Email

This is the first and only surf ski I have tried. As an ex-flat water racer I did not find it unstable, though I can imagine it might be initimidating coming from a different background. It is quick but doesnt seem to have the acceleration of a flat water K1, so might not suite an agressive racing style where you are fighting to hold onto the wake of leaders. It was fun, but in these northern parts (Seattle) it was cold - with your feet stuck in a well gradually filling up with cold water from paddle drips I found 45 minutes in this thing was enough. Good for California and Hawaii and the all-over-sun-tan-boys - too chilly for me.

03-03-2003

Don't expect to get on this kayak with little or no experience and paddle fast and furiously. Until you take the time to learn to balance the kayak it might be slower than a much slower boat; because much of your effort will be staying upright. Also controlling it might take some effort by some to learn if using on streams and rivers with current and narrow channels, or in surf.

I would not buy this kayak without trying it first. Don't expect to be good after the first try unless you are an experienced paddler. Some people say it takes a month to be comfortable and fast in a fast narrow surf ski if you have little experience. Some people learn faster than others but most people take time. And to race against experienced paddlers it takes a lot of experience.

When learning to use the kayak I would not have padding in the seat as it will make the kayak much more tippy. Gradually add padding you gain more experience. Also when out in the open water make sure you do not separate from your kayak, as it is easier to stray away from you when you flip than some closed cockpit kayaks. I have a friend who was rescued by the Coast Guard when he lost his surf ski in the Atlantic.

I rated the Blade an 8 because it is a specialized boat, that requires much more experience than most kayaks. But it is obviously a 10 for those with more experience and who use it for it's specialized applications such as working out and racing.

02-19-2001
Submitted by: Rich HodgkinsSend Email

Great Design Everyone said it was unstable. I took it out the first time and just took off. I ended up surfing some motor boat waves just for fun. Best described as a Fast Fun Boat.

11-30-2000
Submitted by: CTGSend Email

Fast, Fast, Fast, Fast, Fast!!!!!!

06-26-2000
Submitted by: Al BowersSend Email

A real speed machine. One of the fastest designs available (1998 World Record 24 hour distance). Deep seat and deep footwells make it possible for a relative novice to learn to paddle a surfski on this boat. Large adjustment range on footpedals, underhung rudder (no kick-up). Large bow helps prevent pearling. Incredibly fast boat. Incredibly fast.