Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Teton Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Teton Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Rated: 9.09/10 Based On: 11 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

02-21-2011
Submitted by: DPSSend Email

I purchased my Teton in 2002. Its been around the block and back again. Ive had to repair the bow as well, a few years ago, and add a dozen extra rivets as well. But so far that's the only quip. I trekked the Allagash Waterway in Maine last fall (Sept. 2010) with it, and it had just enough room for the trip, fantastic canoe, and it can take a beating!!!!

07-25-2008
Submitted by: BMSend Email

Has anyone else noticed an alarming propensity for the bow seat of the Teton to fail after a few seasons of normal use? The camp I manage has a fleet of 8 Tetons; This spring, I've had to repair 7 of 8 bow seats. Getting parts has been (maddeningly) difficult, as the machine screw used to hang the seat is apparently a custom-built part.

Otherwise, a fantastic canoe for flat, lake, and whitewater. Tandem or solo, they're a nice design.

10-30-2004

Purchased new in 2002 (old graphics), all around a great canoe, perfect choice for paddlers on a budget, quite stable and quality has been super.

09-11-2002
Submitted by: JMBSend Email

An excellent canoe... I got mine used from an outfitter. I have taken it on flat water and on a slow moving river and it has been great, easy to navigate. Solo portages would be challenging, but I'm not going to be doing much of that. I would highly recommend this canoe especially for those looking to do some fishing or carry camping gear.

06-19-2002

I have had this canoe for over a month and it seemed to be fine for my family. Recently a friend who has been canoeing for 40 years took me out to teach my some solo techniques. I was able to spend some time in a Mowahk and a Wenonah solo canoes. I was anxious to try these techniques in my Teton I was suprised to find I could solo it as well as those. This is an excellent canoe for the money.

05-06-2002

This is our first canoe and I just love it. Very stable and roomy. Sure I would have liked it a little lighter but was not willing to spend the extra 50% to get it. My son and I use it mostly for fishing. I expect to get a lot of pleasurable experiences from this canoe.

09-18-2001
Submitted by: JBSend Email

We bought our 16' Teton a few months ago and it is a great entry level canoe; affordable, very stable with room for two adults and two children and loads of gear. We've used in on rivers,lakes and even in some cho which it handles well. It is a bit heavy but apart from that one drawback a well designed canoe that provides hours of fun for the whole family.

05-11-2001

The Teton is our first canoe. We did a good deal of research before buying in order to find a boat which would suit our needs - quiet rivers, flat water, camping trips, and fishing. The outfitter we ultimately bought from recommended the Teton without hesitation even though it was probably the least expensive canoe in the shop. After 6 weeks of using the Teton, we are thrilled. It does all of the above very well (although we haven't taken it river camping yet - that's next week!). Yes, it is heavy and requires 2 people to transport (3 would be nice) BUT that is the only drawback. And, as long as you know you are buying a heavy boat, the weight isn't really a problem. Our decision to buy the Teton is confirmed every time we take it out.

04-18-2001
Submitted by: leapsloth

I've had Teton for several months now and use it for fishing. It has plenty of room and easy to get around the lake. My only complaint is weight, but I have loaded and unloaded it by myself plenty of times. On water, it's stable and great to fish from.

09-17-2000

I've had a slightly used "demo" Teton about 3 weeks--my first canoe. Being a newbie, I don't have much to compare it to. As I recall, it weighs 79 pounds, and it took a while to figure out how to get it on top of my evil gas-guzzle surburban without killing myself. I can't imagine portaging the thing solo, so I'm getting the yoke replaced with another seat. I got a good price about $150 below retail which fit my wife-allocated budget. I imagine I'll keep it a couple of years and replace with a royalex or Kevlar Explorer so my son can take it out by himself. There's nothing but flatwater around here, but it maneuvers very easily in the water.

06-22-2000

A friend and I recently purchased the Mad River Teton, a new rotomolded canoe that is lightweight and within our budget. Our first trip was a weekend excursion on the upper portion of the Blackwater River in West Virginia. It handled the "switchback" river quite well and was a true champion on a few Class II's and even a Class III. Thanks Mad River for a quality, affordable friend!

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports