Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Osprey 140 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Osprey 140 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Osprey 140 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 14' 0" - Width: 38.5" - Starting at: $1799.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

06-30-2005
Submitted by: ksb

As this is my first canoe and the first time I have paddled since '74 and the first time my wife has ever paddled, the Osprey has been very easy to maneuver. Wind does seem to move boat easily (notice while drift fishing) but easy to correct. We were looking for a light stable fishing platform and so far this is working great.

09-07-2004
Submitted by: john morrowSend Email

I have had my 140 osprey for 3 years and use it mainly on slow moving rocky river. It has been a great canoe, easy to carry. paddles smooth for a boat with alot of bottom. The roylex material is very rugged. I mainly fish from this boat on slow rocky rivers with my 10 year old son. The boat has been run onto dozens of rocks etc. and has no damage except several deep scratches. I often use a 30hp. electric troller or 2 hp. evinrude outboard. would not recomend using outboard to people with little experience. I rate this boat a 9 only because a cross wind can be a battle. I would highly recomend this boat to anyone who wants a rugged easy to handle fishing or duck hunting boat.

04-03-2002

I have had my Old Town Osprey for about three months now. I just finished a week long trip to Texas and had all week to play on Lake Jacksonville. I am very happy with this canoe. I was expecting to have to work much harder to keep on track with this 14 foot boat than I had to. With a 60 pound child in the front seat (actually in the back seat reversed) I felt like I was paddling a 16 footer. The rowing option was excellent on two points: 1. I good weather, There are seats for both of my kids. 2. In good weather (I rowed alone through near whitecap water) the oars made life very easy. I found rowing into the wind to be no problem at all. We caught a great mess of Crappie from the canoe and had no problem with stability. I highly recommend this canoe for anyone needing light weight and versatility. One note: This is not an ideal beginner's canoe. Paddling experience helps bring out the best in this little canoe! It is all it is advertised as and more!

08-09-2001
Submitted by: ELSend Email

I must admit the Osprey is my first canoe. I have paddled others in the past so I do have some previous experience in rowing. The Osprey is very easy to handle. Paddling with 2 people is extremely easy. I have a daughter and the 3 of us were all in there with plenty of room. Very straight and hardly any steering unless needed. Using it solo is very easy although the wind could be a problem. I purchased it with the rowing package and enjoy both. I consider the rowing option like a motor. Rowing speed is about 3 times faster than using a paddle solo. Although I kind of wish the bow and stern was a little higher. I do enjoy the weight of this canoe. Very easy to load and unload from car top.

05-17-2000
Submitted by: DarrellSend Email

Have owned the Osprey for 2 months. I have only used it on Santamargarita Lake in central California. The boat is very stable and enjoy fishing from it. It is easy to keep straight with the J stroke. Because it has a lot of free board cross winds can be a problem. I have installed oar locks and row much of the time. You can really make time and cover a lot of water in a hurry, and it is a lot of fun. I use the paddle in calm water and close quarters. At 14' this canoe can hold a lot of gear. I row and paddle rearward from the front seat, when empty I put a 7 gal water jug up in front for ballist to keep that end in the water. I am very happy with this canoe, when rowing it is really fast and easy to keep straight in wind, and a must when going into the wind. I would give it a 10 but this is my first canoe so do not have anything to campare it to. Fun boat!

Botetourt County Tourism: