Product Reviews > Kayaks > Necky Kayaks > Zoar Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Zoar Kayak by Necky Kayaks

Rated: 9.4/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

07-04-2005
Submitted by: SaadSend Email

My wife and I took out two 16' Zoars out for the day on a demo trip. This was the first time either of us has done any significant paddling, so we have little to which we can compare the experience. We took it out on the inlet end of a large lake and ended up paddling upstream about four miles. In all, we paddled roughly 10 miles in gorgeous weather. My wife and I were both pleasantly surprised by the stability of the kayaks, neither of us ending up in the water despite several loading/unloadings at the docks.

The cockpit seemed VERY roomy and the amount of storage was unbelievable. I am 6'1" and 170 lbs. and found the boat size to be just right and easy to paddle. We even clipped the two kayaks together and I was still able to make good headway when I was in the lead. We reversed the order and my wife (5'5" and substantially lighter than myself) was able to give me a rest (albeit brief). I also found that the kayaks were not awfully heavy for their size and the rudders were nice, although not necessary at most times.

There were, however, some issues that prevented the perfect 10. The seat sat a couple inches too low, especially for my wife who kept dinging her elbows on the edge of the cockpit. The seats were also very uncomfortable, hitting sharply just below the PFDs, but this is something that a good seat pad could correct. We would seriously consider these kayaks (especially for myself) if we hadn't found a couple 14' kayaks for less than half the price.

06-10-2003
Submitted by: Scott HendricksonSend Email

ZOAR: (NECKY), poly I'm 6 ft4 and weight 230, an excellent kayak, good fit, great stability, good tracking, rudder really not needed except it's nice to have in strong winds, great first time kayak, and comfortable, extremely, I've got lower back problems and it fits.

09-14-2001

I have had my Zoar for a year and have been very pleased with it.I am 6'5"/230# and it is a good fit.I also find that I have little use for the rudder. There are few boats that can keep up with me if I push it.I usually paddle lakes,but have had it in the ocean once. 3' waves were fun but a 6' flipped me. I think that was the skill of the paddler,not the boat. When the Zoar is turned over, the hatches leak badly. Necky says they are coming out with strap-down hard covers. Also, it needs a grab loop on the tip of the bow . When it is upside-down in waves,it is very difficult to find a hand-hold.
Addendum - 10/23/01
I took my Zoar on a river with many shoals and small rapids. I was really pleased at how well and quickly I could maneuver this boat. I even paddled it upstream through a couple of small chutes. I continue to be glad I bought it.

07-16-2001
Submitted by: Paul

While I am fairly new to Sea Kayaking, I researched and sampled several kayaks before settling on the Zoar and have not regretted my decision once. I have been using the Zoar for approximately 1 year for weekend outings in the Gulf of Mexico or exploring the local lakes. It has plenty of room in the cockpit for my large frame and more that enough storage space for weekend outings. While it comes with a rudder, I find that I rarely need to use it. It is a good all around polymer touring boat that I feel will keep me satisfied as my padling skills improve.Thumbs up for this boat.

07-10-2001
Submitted by: Cool handSend Email

I recently purchased this kayak. After test paddling the Savannah, and the Carolina, the Zoar beat them hands down. The Zis much faster than the Carolina, (the Carolina felt like I was paddling it through syrup). In the Zoar also was able to lean (j lean) farther, and with more confidence than the Savannah (the Savannah was tough to get on its side). I also felt that as my paddling skills grew, the Zoar would be able to grow with me. I felt that the Savannah and Carolina were beginner boats. They seem too stable, and too safe.

06-25-2000
Submitted by: GregSend Email

I bought the Zoar recently after paddling the Looksha IV, a couple of Dagger models, Wilderness Systems Squaw and Storm, and a few others. I'm very pleased with the handling and tracking and am having a great time paddling Zoar a couple of times a week around the barrier Islands of NC. I'm 6'1", 195 and have plenty of room. Necky's plastic seems to hold up much better than the others. I own two Necky boats now and am pleased with them. Necky does however, seem to not have great customer service for replacement parts (lost storage covers etc.) My dealer has a hard time getting ahold of them for things like this.

06-22-2000
Submitted by: DaveSend Email

Refer to my comments on the Zoar Sport, which I bought due to a bit more room.

05-22-2000

After trying out a Zoar during a demo day, I upgraded from my Wilderness System Manteo. I day trip on rivers and the Gulf and like the handling of the Zoar. The rudder is easy to use but not required under most conditions.

05-17-2000
Submitted by: Rob

Paddled for a while at a demo day. I must admit, I really wanted to hate this boat. It's beamy (at least 25" by my eyeball guess), and boxy - almost square hull design looks like a bathtub. I was pleasantly surprised to find it a straight tracking, quick turning, and fairly fast plastic boat. Would be excellent for a beginner - very stable but agile at the same time. I guess it's not as bad as it looks.

05-15-2000
Submitted by: DaveSend Email

I spent part of an afternoon in this kayak as part of a demo day in Sacramento, CA. Of the plastic boats I tried, this was the most responsive, easy to paddle, and had good initial stability. I am 6'4" and 225 lbs, with really long legs. There was little room to spare, but I was comfortable. The rudder pedals may need to be repositioned forward a bit but the dealer said this was doable. I just might buy it.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: