Product Reviews > Canoes > Souris River Canoes > Quetico 17 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Quetico 17 Canoe by Souris River Canoes

Rated: 9.29/10 Based On: 17 Reviews

Quetico 17 Canoe by Souris River Canoes

Length: 17' 3" - Width: 35.0" - Starting at: $2995.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Souris River Canoes Logo

07-25-2013

For a a year and a half now, I have had the pleasure of canoeing in a Souris River Quetico 17 Le Tigre Clear Kevlar. Here in Montana, I have been over big lakes & rivers with big winds in this beauty and it has performed perfectly. There's plenty of room to load for an extended trip and at 44 lbs., this allows me to keep my payload down, plus easily carry it where need be. That's a plus for this ole' gal!

The Quetico 17 is stable and tracks well, allowing me to use my time & energy to fish and explore. I am always getting compliments about the looks of this fine piece of craftsmanship. But the best part is that it performs as well as it looks!

07-21-2013
Submitted by: Jeff SmithSend Email

Awesome canoe! We used our 15' Dagger Legend for two years in the BWCA, before investing in this canoe. The difference is night and day. Yes we live near several rivers and use the Dagger on those. Our big water canoe is the Quetico 17. Easy to handle, responds well, carries a large and heavy load. We stay out 10 or more days, and the canoe holds all we need, including all our photography gear.

08-31-2011

This is by far the best all purpose canoe for BWCA and Quetico produced. Stability: 10. Design: 10. Speed: 10. Weight: 10. Capacity: 10. I have guided in Quetico for almost 7 years now and this the best canoe to fish out of. Unlike the Wenonah 18ft. MNII, there is AMPLE foot space for the paddler in the front of the canoe, a huge benefit when fishing (needing to unhook a 30" pike, etc). It also allows for a tackle box to be easily accessible from when placed under the seat. Another huge advantage is the resin used on the exterior, with a light sanding and reapplication of marine grade resin...it looks literally brand new. I've added kevlar skid plates on mine and another for added protection against rocks.

I bought 2 used Souris River Quetico 17s over the year second hand from outfitters and those retiring from canoeing (You can usually get used ones for around 1000...WELL WORTH IT!). Old or new, this is a solid buy, and with TLC, you can make these canoes last decades. If you want a canoe that will reliable for years to come...go Souris.

07-12-2011
Submitted by: Captain YonderSend Email

A canoe is not unlike a lover in that affection springs from trust and dependence. I've taken my Quetico 17 to Woodlands Caribou, Quetico (many times), and Isle Royale--and I've used it and depended on it in rain, hail, big winds, and other adverse conditions. I've also fished from it a ton and caught BIG FISH.

Just before my last trip to Isle Royale I installed a shoot-through-hull transducer that I attached to a portable, battery-powered Hummingbird fish finder. I caught so many lake trout that I lost count! (I also became so transfixed by bottom contours that I forgot to look for moose!) Any serious fisherman should consider doing this. I had a blast.

08-07-2008
Submitted by: RB3Send Email

Souris River Q17, Green El Tigre Kevlar, 44 Lbs.
I researched this purchase for a couple of years before actually buying. I use it on lakes, rivers and streams in the northwest, no white water. My priorities were stability, weight (I must be able to handle it alone and easily) and ease of paddling/maneuverability. It has lived up to all of my expectations. Very easy to portage/handle, I put it on top of the minivan and my young son, wife and I take off for a day of sightseeing and picknicking. It appears to be faster than any of the canoes we have run with and always attracts compliments on its appearance. Three years later, it looks new. There is nothing I don't like about it, and I expect to have this boat for a long, long time. I bought it from Joe at Red Rock, who was practical, honest and straightforward - and suggested that I NOT buy some things from him that I was looking for as he did not believe I needed them - and he was right. A good person to do business with. I would recommend the Q17 to anyone looking for a very high quality all around canoe.

05-22-2008
Submitted by: Ryan PfeifferSend Email

The paradox of being a canoe lover is that we buy canoes to escape the world of things, and then we obsess interminably about our canoes. (Is this bad? Is it bad that Iím at work right now, writing this review?)
My Quetico 17 (green Kevlar, le tigre pattern) is the third addition to my fleet, which includes a Wenonah Sundowner 17 (royalex) and a Souris River Tranquility solo (kevlar). My decision to buy a new canoe was catalyzed by the basic fact that my 34-yr old back can no longer endure portages beneath my 65 lb Sundowner.

In the process of demoing canoes, I came very close to purchasing a Wenonah Minnesota II. While empty, the Minnesota II has an absolutely beautiful glide. (I suspect that the canoe actually planes when paddled hard.) Tracking is superb, and much like a train on a track, you point the canoe in the right direction and seem to head directly there.

Ultimately, I decided upon the Quetico 17, and for the following reasons. First, I am a traditional paddler, and I like to feel my canoe respond to my corrective strokes. The Quetico turns on a dime, whereas the MN II is somewhat resistant to the j-stroke. Traditional paddlers will probably prefer the Quetico, whereas NATT-style jocks will probably like the MN II. (As a purely sociological matter, I'll bet that people in MN II's tend to wear fleece, whereas people in Queticos wear checkered wool.)

Second, the Quetico 17 is a more stable platform than the MN II. (I had no problem standing up in the Quetico in a slight breeze, but I didnít dare do so in the MN II.) Stability is important to me because Iím an unstoppable fisherman. I simply cannot afford to capsize in 35-degree water while bringing a lake trout or a gator pike into my boat.

Third (and related to the last), the Quetico has more freeboard than the MN II, which sits very low in the water even with a minimal load. Waves in the Canadian Boundary waters can become quite large, and Iím inclined to think that the MN II would easily take on water. (Iíve read that the Quetico 17ís load capacity exceeds the MN II by over 200 lbs, and I donít doubt it.)

Fourth, Iím inclined to believe that epoxy really is stronger than polyvinyl resin. (Wenonahs are made out of the latter.) I do not EVER want to puncture my canoe when I am in the tundra a week from the nearest town. (I almost punctured my royalex canoe during a 28-degree overnighter, so I know that the danger exists.)

Fifth, I love the aesthetics of green Kevlaróespecially when sunlight is pouring through it. Last week, a 10 or 11 year old girl came up to me as I was launching my Tranquility (made of the same green Kevlar as my Quetico) and told me that ďit is really, really pretty.Ē I agree.

I love my Quetico. Maybe one day I will buy a Minnesota II for its marginal additional speed. But before I do that, it might make sense to have Verlan Kruger build me a custom kevlar job with a sail...

09-19-2006
Submitted by: outdoors4meSend Email

I purchased the Limited Edition El Tigre kevlar version with black trim this summer and have used it on local lakes and one BWCA trip.

In researching this purchase, I had read that the Souris River build quality was supposed to be very good but I would describe mine as merely average. It had several minor cosmetic defects such as runs in the varnish on the seats, internal skidplates not quite centered, and black coating peeled off of many of the rivets. Nothing that would effect performance, but a little disappointing considering the price.

For comparison, I owned a MNII for a few years before the Q17. The Q17 seems to be a good all around canoe for tripping. It handles well both empty and with a load and steers easily even in a wind. It is very stable and comfortable to fish out of. In the MNII, my back often tired as I felt the need to make adjustments based my paddling partners movements. The Q17 portages very easily - seems to almost want to balance itself when shouldering it. The only area it really seems to fall short is in speed. It is not slow, but has nowhere near the glide of the MNII.

Overall, I'm happy with the purchase. Canoe design requires compromising in some areas to get gains in others and I think that the Q17 offers a good balance of stability, manuverability, capacity, and speed that will please most paddlers.

02-21-2005
Submitted by: R. S.Send Email

I special ordered the epoxy resin version 2 springs ago. It weighs a little less than 40 pounds. There were defects in the lay up, which surprised me. They did not effect operations, but I hate Ďem! The boat is very lively empty, so I do not recommend it for beginning paddlers. It will buck out the unwary at landings on a windy day. The hull does show scratches, but is tough. Loaded though, this boat is great on a trip, even solo paddled bow first. It can be tough to turn into the wind. It portages very easily. It carries gear for two easily.

08-21-2003

My purchase of my Souris River Quetico 17 wasn't without research. I'd read many good reviews from folks who knew their canoes before even going to look at one. I wasn't let down. This canoe is a great balance between stability, load hauling, speed and being sea worthy. All of this is done with a light hull that gives you confidence and doesn't oil can.

I use this boat for work and play. I do portage and trail clearing in the BWCAW and these trips can involve hauling some pretty good loads around. I chose to use the 'Antler' style yoke from gearforportaging.com as it makes the canoe easier to shoulder when there are tools strapped into it. I don't baby this canoe and it holds up none the less. I did have a Wilderness 18 first and liked it for its speed but the Quetico better suits its purpose and the one foot shorter canoe IS a little easier to portage.

I have had a little difficulty holding this canoe on course and it loses a point because of that. Otherwise I consider an 8 a high rating if a 10 is perfect.

07-21-2003
Submitted by: JimSend Email

I bought a Q17 Kevlar from Redrock in January and picked it up in May. Since then, my son and I have had it out several times. It is light (@45 lbs), so I can toss it up on the car with no problem. I took the front thwart out to solo, using the front seat "backards" and a plastic water can up "front" for balast. It is stable, fairly fast, and handles the waves like a champ.

06-02-2003
Submitted by: Miles QuadeSend Email

After a 3 day trip I find this canoe very stable, and an easy paddler. To put it in perspective, we owned a Wenonah 18' Sundowner, and the Quentico is more stable, and you can't tell the difference in paddling effort. We use it for recreational and fishing. Very good for two people. Would buy another one if we didn't have this one. Only reason for not rating it a 10, is I wish it would paddle easier, but then again, none of them are strictly easy. O yes, one more thing. I use a 1 hp motor on it and it works great.

08-06-2002

I own a lot of canoes[6], I like canoeing and have specific canoes for specific needs. The Souris River Quetico 17 is my two person tripper. I purchased it after a very cold and long swim last year with an unexperienced partner in the boundry waters. I was in a royalex spirit, my two person river canoe, the Q 17 is more stable, holds more gear, is lighter, and I really like the way it looks. After tipping I was nervous with rookies until I got the Q 17, now I can relax again; and it's much faster than I would have expected. I also own a Q 16 and realy like it, if you're not doing rivers, souris canoes can not be beat.

01-28-2002

Souris River Quetico17: I had the chance to test drive one of these on Feb. 23 on Jasper Lake East of Ely,Minn. It is very stable vary fast and a pleasure to portage, if you have an interest in a new or different canoe than what you may already have you owe it to yourself to try one of these before you make the final decission.

08-13-2001

I just got back from the Woodland Caribou Provincial Park. I took my new Quetico 17. It is the first time I paddled it and was more than pleasently surprised!! I think it is more valuable to compare canoes than just to say any canoe was "light, fast, stable and perfect." All those terms are relative and would help others if a comparison is made to other canoes. I purchased the canoe with wooden web seats (added a few pounds but worth it) and all aluminum trim in the ultralight kevlar version. The other canoe in the party was a Wenonah Sundowner and I'll use it to compare the Q17 with. Right off one could tell the obvious design differences. The Q17 has a flat bottom and bulging sides with the Sundowner sporting a sleeker, more shallow arch bottom. It is obvious the design of the Sundowner is to eat up the miles. But there are compromises with that design...a lack of initial stability that is comforting but the secondary stability is great. I was surprised as we took off at the first put-in. We were able to easily keep up with the Sundowner although we may have worked a little harder. I had my GPS on and checked our speed without my partner knowing it. We were easily able to keep an average speed of over 4 MPH into a substantial breeze. It was fully loaded with two the two of us over 200 lbs each and a 10 days worth of food and gear. The sundowner was loaded the same way. The second day dawned with a substantial wind blowing from left to right and had already kicked up some rather large swells and waves. My partner and I wanted to continue but the Sundowner paddlers were skeptical because of the "tippy" initial feel of their canoe. This was a matter of getting used to but they hadn't paddled much in those conditions and didn't trust the tender feel of the Sundowner. Both canoes handled well in the conditions and we found a campsite to ride out the wind. The Q17 portaged a little heavier than the Sundowner but only by a few pounds. I like the epoxy resin layup with the flex hull design much better than the Wenonahs. Both canoe hulls will scratch when paddled over an underwater rock and I suggest both canoes be portaged using the wet foot method. To sum up the review: Q17 has more initial stability, almost as fast, almost weighs the same, much more stable platform to fish out of, better layup and finally the other guys in the sundowner asked me several times if I would sell my Q17 to them......what better recommendation. I bought mine sight unseen from the Red Rock store east of Ely, MN. Ask for Joe, he is great to work with and if there is any problem he will make it right. That attitude is reflected by the designer and mfg. at Souris River canoes in Atikokan, Ontario. Ask for Keith!! The workmanship of the 2001 models is fantastic and they have added an internal kevlar skid plate UNDER the epoxy resin...great touch!!

05-25-2001

When this canoe arrived we were a little disappointed with its looks. It's a Duralite and the color is called "clear". However, its performance soon cast out any doubts the color may have caused!! This is one terrific canoe. The stability is unbeatable. It handles like a dream, its lightweight, comfortable, smooth, and fast. Now we call it our "Beech Leaf Canoe" in honor of its color and smooth gliding performance. We love this canoe!

07-30-2000
Submitted by: SSSend Email

A real mover, especially with bent shaft paddles. incredible stability for a smooth, fast canoe. we fly fished for 9 days in it at full power casts, simultaneously, and never gave stability a tho't, except to praise the designers of this craft.it has a flat bottom in the center, with some rocker on both ends--shallow arch on the ends. this makes it fun to paddle! we got a kevlar-epoxy model--get the black alum. trim--it looks good. this canoe handled wind and strong current. we used it on a 500 acre lake in So. Dakota. every time we stepped into this water-worthy canoe we felt thankful we had researched canoes for months before buying. however, just after we bought it, souris came out with a three-seater version of this model--nice if solo fishing is your game.oh--shipping was a problem. freight people must like to bang canoes around. we had to refuse the first beautiful Q-17 due to freight damage. and ours came with a slightly bent thwart. oh, well. it was worth it.

05-02-2000
Submitted by: Randy ByersSend Email

First trip in this Duralite canoe was a 17-mile, multi-lake paddle event with several kayakers and canoes. Basically calm to rolling water, at times small white caps with wind primarily at our backs. The Quetico 17 handled extremely well. Very good stability overall, easy to manuever and I felt very fast through the water. Most of the time, my wife and I were ahead of the kayaks which I am told are faster than canoes, but we had no evidence of that as we were easily ahead of the majority of kayaks all day with out working hard. Extremely light weight, about 51-lbs., very easy to load onto the car top and expecially to portage. Essentially, my wife and I love the canoe. Very comfortable nylon web seats, my wife loved the room she had in the bow...plenty of leg room up front. I highly recommend this canoe to anyone wanting a secure, easy to paddle, tandem big enough for weeklong trips or weekend get aways.