Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Katahdin 16 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Katahdin 16 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.17/10 Based On: 6 Reviews

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

08-03-2009
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

This is one good looking canoe which you will receive tons of compliments. It is quite fast on lake waters, tracks nicely and is very stable. I have taken mine on the Shenandoah River and this is where it's only limitation arose. The keel really gets in the way (as all keels do). I ignored everyone's advice about buying a canoe with a keel because I got a REALLY good deal on this boat, but boy were they right!

Th river was very high and murky making the ledges difficult to see and I sure did take a few chunks out of my keel. The nice thing is that this is a fiberglass boat and should be relatively easy to repair. I will update this post and let you know once I have had a chance to try.

03-22-2004

Great all around boat. Beautiful to paddle. I acquired it used through a business transaction and this boat has become my personal boat and #1 in my fleet. It poles very well, tracks very well, has great initial and secondary stability and is a great tripper too. Carries a fair load of gear and my 215 pounds with no problems. Handles most wind with ease. Its a fiberglass layup with a rugged keel. OTs best from my experience. One step down from a Malecite in my opinion.

06-13-2002

Great canoe. Loads of room- 2 adults and 2 kids, yet I'm able to paddle solo too. Good camping canoe. Keel really helps tracking.

03-29-2001
Submitted by: mikeSend Email

Great family canoe is right! Just got mine and found that it is much faster than expected. It is also very stable and seems to be fairly light weight. Mine is a beautiful red and the fiberglass shines up really nice. it's going to be a great fishing platform this summer!

06-12-2000
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

This is a great family boat. Very stable on the water and lots of space/carrying capacity. You can easily stand and cast a fishing line! It tracks well and paddles fairly easily. It is somewhat slow when loaded down, but that's a small price to pay for that stability. Mine too is maroon, very sharp looking.

05-01-2000

Fell in love with the classic looks of the Katahdin 16. I found the canoe handles great and is lot faster than I thought it would be. Not a high tech boat but if you like the lines of the old boats this is it (but with low maintenance fiberglass). Mine is maroon in color and the best looking boat out there. Lots of compliments.