Product Reviews > Kayaks > Folbot > Kodiak Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Kodiak Kayak by Folbot

Rated: 8.5/10 Based On: 10 Reviews

Kodiak Kayak by Folbot

Length: 15' 0" - Width: 28.00" - Starting at: $2375.00
See More Details about this Kayak
Folbot Logo

08-21-2012
Submitted by: Michael KSend Email

Wonderful boat in a very competitive price. Very stable, track well and tons of room for gear for a multidays trip. Slower than a hardshell but not much. I agree that the foot and knee bracing need much improvement. I actually have to home-made a pair of foot-rests and slide them under the 2S crossframe to rest my feet comfortably. As for the knee bracing, I cut two patches of camping foam mat and velcro them on the inside of the washboard. Little modifications like these can make life a lot more comfortable.

09-01-2007

I have a 6 year old Kodiak that I adore. I've been able to put it on a plane for free to Mexico, Florida and northern Canada. I'm recently back from an 18 day / no re-supply trip around Anticosti Island in the Gulf of the St-Lawrence river. I believe that there is no other 15 footer in which you can cram as much gear as I did. Great boat, not so speedy, but very stable and this kayak sure can take a beating without too much damage.

11-29-2005

I've had my Kodiak for about seven years. It's a good boat at a great price. Quality of design, workmanship, and materials is superb. It has carried my six-foot, 250 pound body and several days' worth of gear on a few weekend trips with no problem, but without hatches it is difficult to stow and remove the gear.

The boat assembles easily (about 20 minutes) but I often save the time at the put-in by assembling it at home and car-topping it on my rack outfitted with large, v-shaped saddles. I have since bought a plastic boat, so I don't use the FolBot so much anymore.

My only complaint is that it is very uncomfortable to sit in for any length of time. I put a Thermarest pad in the floor to ease the discomfort of the frame against my calves.

I use it in seawater and am careful to hose it inside and out when I get home. It is still in perfect condition. Tracks like itís on rails and is reasonably swift for a short, beamy boat with a fat guy in it.

My friend has a 40 year old tandem FolBot with wooden frames that we took on some four-day trips together. It is still in great shape. These boats are VERY well made.

03-18-2004

Great boat in all aspects for a folder. Highly recommended. not quite as fast as a fiberglass ocean kayak but close enough, plus it is a little lighter and it folds! Very stable.

08-13-2001

I have a red Kodiak. It tracks well and is great for large bodies of water, very stable. It is slow and I don't like the spray skirt set-up, it doesn't take a standard spray-skirt the one folbot gives is velcro. Also because of my size/build my achilles rests right on one of the ribs and is very uncomfortable. The bracing is bad and uncomfortable as well. My knees stick out above the cocpit when trying to brace [I'm 6ft. tall]. assembly is easy and the price nice compared to other foldables and hardshells. but I wouldn't want to paddle this boat on a long trip. folbot needs to come up with something more sleek and a boat with hatches would be great. I never used the rudder because it wasn't needed.

04-24-2001
Submitted by: AZ

One of the best deals in kayaking. Outstanding primary and secondary stability and tons of storage space for touring. Unbelievable customer service. The only drawback for those without their own wheels (and I mean four), is that the bags are a bit too bulky to carry comfortably. Otherwise, a great platform for weeklongs!

03-26-2001
Submitted by: W2ildman2

I have a Folbot Kodiak that I enjoy. It is very stable, and maintains a heading very well. Since I have purchased the boat, I have not felt it necessary to install the rudder. I feel very comfortable in the boat. I am planning a trip across the Florida Coast this summer.

01-29-2001
Submitted by: CTBSend Email

An excellent all purpose boat, stable enough for beginners, versatile enough for just everything. Priced lower than most folders of the same size.

01-27-2001
Submitted by: SteveSend Email

I've got a Folbot Kodiak with hypolon hull, I've had it about 6 months been out in rain snow temps to 17deg wind to 30mph tracks like a dream turns slow very stable warm with spray skirt. Do not get hot ashes near deck, it will get a hole real quick. 12 guage does not capsize from broadside shot good boat for the money.

04-16-2000
Submitted by: RTDSend Email

It is an easy boat to assemble and take a part, 15 - 20 min. avg. It is a little beamey at 28 in, but tracks like an arrow is very stable, turns slowly though and it's seat is quite comfortable, priced well compared to other folders.