Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Outrage X Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Outrage X Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Outrage X Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Length: 13' 0" - Width: 29.0" - Starting at: $1689.00
See More Details about this Canoe
Mad River Canoe Logo

02-13-2007
Submitted by: Big GuySend Email

I purchased my outrage X in spring of 2005 and have logged in 50+ trips. This boat is incredible in big water. It will punch through any wave that you encounter. The rounded bottom allows it to be very maneuverable when trying to grab an eddy but very difficult to track in slow flat water. The outrage X holds my size and weight (6'7,' 280) extremely well. Even with my size the boat still floats high in the water. Making many of the trips dry ones. I have run: the Jackson, James, Greenbrier River and Dunlop Creek at flood level, Paint Creek, Goshen Pass, Lower Yough, and the New River Gorge. All without a single problem from the X. The 13ft roylax Mad River Outrage X is a superior boat for anyone wanting to learn or perfect their white watering paddling skills. I would recommend this boat to anyone from the beginner to the advanced!

09-27-2005

I've been paddling a standard (12') Outrage and loving it. But I've been wondering if my 190+ lbs was maybe too much for that boat in heavy water.

I had the chance to run the upper West in Jamaica, VT in a friends X the other day and I have to say I like it.

It paddles an awful lot like my Outrage but stays up on top of the water where the smaller boat will cut through. Wave trains where an effortless rollercoaster ride and the boat was pretty dry all the way through.

The X is longer and wider than the Outrage and that takes a little getting used to, particularly on offside strokes. But it really does paddle like the smaller boat which makes the transition nice and it sure does handle my weight better.

I gave it an 8 because there is seems to be problem with the orange (mango?) royalex delaminating. I know of a few boats with that problem though it has not made the boats unusable. The older brown (maroon?) hulls don't seem to have this problem nor do the new purple (plum?) Outrages.

03-31-2004

This is a great beginner intermediate boat. I bought mine around June and have about 45 trips in it. The initial and secondary stability are both excellent and provide confidence while surfing. My first side surfing attempt it filled with water and sucked the boat into an unintentional back surf but I did not flip. The boat is very tippy when full of water but stable the rest of the time.

10-06-2003
Submitted by: TerrySend Email

Paddled a Probe 12 for 10 yrs then baught an X in June. I found that it had very little secondary and would flip over very quickly. I baught new thwarts and widened it by 4 inches. Now it has very good secondary and I love it.

08-31-2001
Submitted by: Ken_PevahouseSend Email

I didn't know what I was talking about before. After more experience, I have concluded that the X side surfs exceptionally well. If I were designing a boat, I would make it just like the X, except a very slight edge.

04-06-2000

This canoe is designed for heavier paddlers, and I am rating it as one (240 lbs). It is exceptional in speed for attainment,front surfing,and carving. A little tricky are side surfing and large standing waves. It handles like a high performance boat, very responsive to what you do--good and bad.

Rendezvous River Sports
Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!