Product Reviews > Kayaks > Valley Sea Kayaks > Nordkapp HM Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Nordkapp HM Kayak by Valley Sea Kayaks

Rated: 8.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

08-04-2003

I first saw a Nordkapp over 20 years ago when I paddled in the Bristol Channel in South Wales in all conditions and the boat excelled. By all conditions I mean even out in huge seas, in hail storms, and strong winds. I bought one this year and used it in the Everglades Challenge (see www.watertribe.com) in Florida, a tough 300 mile race down the west coast of Florida to Key Largo. The boat was fantastic, dealing with everything without a problem. Even at the end of a near continuous 60 mile paddle on the final day, when we were trying to stay ahead of a menacing electrical storm while crossing Florida Bay at 1.00am, the boat cruised through 4-6 foot seas effortlessly and securely. In addition, the hatches really are waterproof, and raccoon proof! My boat is made of fibreglass, but still feels light and maneuvrable, even with gear packed. It is an old design, but simply fantastic. Build quality is like a Mercedes. The seat is very comfortable. This boat handles all conditions tremendously well and really deserves the reputation it enjoys.

11-26-2001
Submitted by: RGSend Email

The Nordkapp Jubillee w/ built in skeg and knee tube is an inspiring boat to be in. I have the three piece version for travel. The boat needs to be laid over for turning. Directional stability is excellent. Workmanship is outstanding. Boat is extremely fast. Quartering seas (3-6 ft) make the boat lively, but secure. Quartering or beam winds do make the nose come about if they blow harder than 25 knots but far less than any boat I've yet been in. Truly water tight hatches, even after extended rolling and sculling. Low rear deck and recessed cockpit rim make lay back rolls excellent.

Cargo room: Whose asking? are you a dual burner coleman guy with the 4 man tent? you'll suffer. Are you a backpacker with the Ray Jardine "Go Lite" mentality? You'll swim with room. I am confident I can take a go lite approach in arid country and still have room for a ten day trip. In water plentiful country it can go in the 3-4 week length of time. That question is so subjective it depends on the personal camper's habits. I'm a backpacker and I go to look at what is there, not at all the crap I can surround myself with. I still have room for photography gear, though. Hey everyone has at least two Achilles Heels.

3 piece version for travel is built like a tank with glassed in threaded shanks, dual gasket system that needs to be very tight, and stainless hardware. It took 30 minutes to assemble and the same to disassemble. longer head on 17mm ratchet would have cut 10 minutes off that time. Costly to get through airport: $225.00 USD for three bags. Skycaps or "porters" are necessary because they have the carts large enough to get it to the curb. Truly, it is no folder in ease of transportation. It requires larger vehicles at destination to get you to water. It was such a spendy, logistical hassle to bring on a simple week long cruise I may not bring it for many more of those trips, I'll sell the one piece Nordkapp and buy a used Khat's for those trips. I'll save the 3 piece Nordkapp for the longer trips where it will be worth it. The boat is a ten; the three piece concept is a 5.

10-02-2000

I purchased my Nordkapp HMC after extensively paddling a friends identicle boat. The overall fit and handling of the boat was ideal for me, being 6'1" and #250. The boats reputation for being tempermental is overstated in my opinion. My caveat is in the shoddy construction of the boat. I've had multiple failures where there were voids in the resin and the "high traffic" of the hull inside the cockpit has fuzzed due to abrasion. I'm not sure if I simply had the misfortune of purchasing a random lemon or if this reflects the manufacturing practices at the time of lay up. Unfortunately, I would have to give purchasing another VCP some serious doubt.

04-03-2000
Submitted by: Jon

My very first sea kayak was a beat up Nordkapp HM. I have been told by others that the boat is tippy, but I never had any concerns. You really do have to crank it over to get it to turn but it does go. My boat had the 'ocean deck' small cockpit which always felt very secure to me. The Nordkapp always felt like it was sat deep in the water to me, held a line in any wind, with great secondary stability. I changed my Nordkapp for a North Shore Buccaneer, which will 'turn on a sixpence' with the skeg up, and take a ton of kit which loads really easily. it accelerates faster, and feels a lot more 'modern' than my old boat, but in my view the Nordkapp is one of the best looking open water boats around, and I often think about trying to buy another old boat - I do miss the old faithful.

03-14-2000
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

Basicaly the same boat as the HS, but with an extended section on the rear of the hull that precludes having a drop in skeg. This boat goes fast and straight. The modified hull profile allows me great directional control in every condition. It is a handfull to turn, but it is possible. You really excersize your leaning capabilities when learning to turn this boat. This boat also loves rough water. It's realy fun to surf because the directional stability keeps you running down the face of waves instead of broaching. When it does broach, it's slow and controllable. I have a Necky Looksha IV, a Nordkap HS, and this one, my favorite of them all.