Product Reviews > Kayaks > Surge Marine > Surge Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Surge Kayak by Surge Marine

Rated: 9.88/10 Based On: 8 Reviews

07-24-2013

I first paddled a Surge when I was looking for a good used fibreglass kayak. The dealer suggested I try a new Surge as well. I felt I would be too big for it but once I tried it, I was sold. I had tried several other kayaks that day - used, new, rudder, skeg - a very good comparison test. It was an especially windy day but I loved the control that the Surge exhibited, especially without a rudder or skeg. It's extremely lightweight (39 lbs for a 17'+ kayak).

I have had this kayak for 5 years now and have never regretted buying it nor ever felt I needed anything more. I have raced in all kinds of conditions and paddled extensively on ocean (Scituate, Cohasset, Hingham, Boston Harbor, Cape Ann, MA, Cape Cod) and have always felt confident with its ability to handle whatever came at me.

09-21-2012

I have owned a Surge for 12 years, It was my fifth boat and my last. It is perfect in every way. I have a compass on the front hatch cover and it works great!

12-16-2009
Submitted by: watershamanSend Email

Was lucky to find this used Surge for $1500 in FL where no one knew what a rig it is. This boat is almost perfect: hyper-stable, tracks without a skeg, forces you to understand leaning to turn, and has the highest strength/weight ratio in all kayaking. If it had glassed in bulkheads and recessed deck fittings, it would be perfect.

08-03-2006

My wife and I have had our Surges for one year now. I'm sure they will be with us for a long time. One of the highest selling points for us was the weight. At 38lbs. getting them to and from the water is a breeze. Hopefully with more training, we will be able to get the most from them.

04-03-2006

After paddling an Merlin Eddyline for years, I was looking for a next step up to an already good boat. On a trip to Maine I tested the Surge out and ended up buying one from the local dealer.

It's amazingly light, tracks well, handles well in a cross breeze, knifes through small chop and cuts through large 6' waves easily. Did I mention fast.

If you want one of the fastest boats out there, something that can handle any kind of weather, that tracks well and just needs a little lean to turn and doesn't have a rudder of skeg to get fouled, this is the ultimate boat.

07-05-2005

Absolutely the best boat I have ever owned. There are only 20 of these boats made every year they are hand crafted to specific tolerances. The details are outstanding as is the performance. Initial and secondary stability is ideal. It surfs well and handles well in turbulent seas. If you’re in a difficult spot this is the boat you want to be in. Worth all of the $3400 price tag.

04-17-2000
Submitted by: MJBSend Email

I've had my Surge for 4 seasons now, and it is always a pleasure to paddle. It is relatively fast, extremely light, straight tracking, yet turns easily with a little leaning. It the foredeck is a little high - I can bump my hands at the end of my stroke -- but this makes for a little thigh room. This is a fast all-round touring boat well worth the price.

02-10-2000
Submitted by: JOSSend Email

This hand built, multi-composite, boat is narrow (21"), fast and light (37#). Craftsmanship is impeccable and the boat is quite solid despite its overall weight. My wife loves the boat since she can look like Wonder Woman when she whips the boat on top of the car single-handedly. The finish is beautiful and resists the Maine granite better than gel coat. It turns well with a lean and tracks beautifully though there is no retractable skeg. It delights us because it shows none of the tendency to weathercock that we see in our Caribou. It seems to take great joy in surf as the winds and waves increase and handles even better with gear under the hatches. Only minor niggle is that there is no recessed compass mount.