Product Reviews > Canoes > Mad River Canoe > Eclipse Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Eclipse Canoe by Mad River Canoe

Canoes Image Canoes Image Canoes Image
Select Canoe to View in Buyers' Guide

03-20-2013

Great canoe - light & fits up to 4 paddlers if weight is distributed evenly or 2 adults with children. Lots of room for gear. Slices thru the water. Great for day trips or camping with 2 persons. Lightweight for loading.

08-14-2005

I have owned my Eclipse for 5+ years. I solo paddle, almost exclusively, on a very manageable lake/s and have been very happy with the performance and the weight. BUT, mine developed 3 COLD CRACKS two winters ago. These have been repaired, at great psychic expense, and the boat still performs well, although I suspect its $ value is very low. I have been very unhappy with service and response from Mad River at all levels. Very disappointing experience that took 1+ years to resolve. Mad River now calls cold cracks a Material Limitation and does not consider them a material or manufacturing defect! Because, I believe, I bought the boat before their position on cold cracks was clearly stated in their manual and warranty and by their dealers, they agreed to sell me a new canoe at half the cost. Something I should be grateful for, judging by the way they treated me, but not really what I wanted to do. Canoe Rating: 9 of 10 Service Rating: 1 of 10

09-19-2001

Have had this canoe for two weeks now, and have paddled it on a couple of flat rivers. I shopped around for royalex canoes extensively and tried several out. I wanted royalex because it is cheaper. The Eclipse handles really well - better than any I tried. The tracking is excellent because of the shallow "v" hull, ant also manuever well. Best of all is the way it glides after each power stroke. The only drawback is the weight - I would't want to portage it to far. But at 62 pounds it would be doable.

07-02-2001

I purchased a used (for one year) Eclipse from an outfitter. The exterior coating was worn through at the bow and stern (no skid plates installed), and there were also a lot of scratches in the skin, but I saved about $400. I added a solo seat and removable yoke from Bell Canoe Portaging the canoe is not a problem for me.

The Eclipse was purchased to be used in tandem with Minnesota II on trips, and so is typically lightly loaded. I have soloed the canoe on a four day trip, and loaned it to two Boy Scouts, also on a four day trip. The canoe soloes very nicely using either a C-stroke or a hit-and-switch. The hit-and-switch method is significantly faster, seems to be less tiring. On the trip I soloed, I carried two gear bags and one 70 lb. dog, and was able to keep up with the tandem canoes in the party. When the scouts were using the Eclipse most of the troop was using 16 foot Penobscots. The Eclipse seemed to be quite a bit faster and less affected by the wind, but likely could not have carried as heavey a load as the Penobscots.

Overall I am very happy with my Eclipse as it does everything that I bought it for. I wish it were a bit more efficient, but the durability of the Roylex offsets the slight efficiency penalty.

09-12-2000
Submitted by: Mike WSend Email

Really nice canoe, either tandem or solo. The secondary stability is really solid, and the amount of lean very predictable. Low enough with two to not catch too much wind, and high enough to stay dry in 2-foot wind waves. Just barely light enough for one person to handle. Needs center seat for soloing. Very user friendly.

09-05-2000

Very nice canoe. We haven't had ours very long, but I've had it out with just one other person, and also with six people (two adults and four small children) in the boat (about 600 pounds total load). It tracks fairly well, has good initial and excellent secondary stability, and is easy to maneuver. It glides well also, and we can hold it at a comfortable cruising speed without much trouble. Mad River says that the Eclipse is similar to the Malecite, but because it is Royalite, it is about $1,000 cheaper. We haven't had any other nice canoes that we can compare it to, but it is a tremendouse improvement over the aluminum rental boats that we have paddled before. Definitely a boat I would buy again!

07-12-2000
Submitted by: JMLSend Email

The Eclipse was a gift, and much appreciated. However, in class III water I managed to cause serious damage to the bottom, with the outer layer of the "royalex light" tearing and pealing away as a result of running across rocks. No question I abused the boat. This is not what it was made for, and MR makes that clear in its literature. I understood that it was made from royalex, but hadn't checked it out thoroughly before heading down-river, and didn't know about "royalex light." Buyers should be aware that this boat is not tough enough for "white water" of any kind. It's a nice, lightweight boat for flat water and maybe class II. Also, I should note that the coating readily peals away from the aluminum gunwales -- at three years old, they look like old anodized spars, with the black pealing off all over the place. Hard to say I love the boat. It is a fine little boat for the money, as long as you treat it only to the relatively quiet conditions it was made for.

06-08-2000
Submitted by: MKSend Email

This is an absolutely great canoe. I mostly use it for solo paddling. I am considering adding a center seat and possibly a spray skirt. I have found that installing kevlar skid pads are easy and one of the best accessories that a person can install to protect a canoe from rocks. I would refer anyone to a MRC dealer to get a canoe. I love my Eclipse!

04-23-2000
Submitted by: DJHSend Email

Light tandem. Maneuverable enough for the winding Pine Barrens rivers that we mainly paddle. Cruises very well; good speed. Had it on class II, and it handled fine, though the gunwales are low for much more than II or III. We put in center seat for our son, and it it is also an excellent solo boat. Royalex light, it's passably durable over the rocks, but it's not made for boulder gardens or heavy duty white water. I like the weight savings. Because we abuse it, I'm installing skid plates.

02-06-2000
Submitted by: GSBSend Email

This is the first canoe that we have owned. My wife and I are very pleased with the stability and tracking. We have used it on short, flatwater day trips and it handles well, especially for us newbies. We have paddled 3 other models and like this one best. Also, the light weight makes for an easy to cartop/portage canoe. Even in Royalex lightweight, it is very sturdy feeling.

Zoar Outdoor
Free Shipping on all New Kayaks!
Rendezvous River Sports