Product Reviews > Canoes > Old Town Canoe > Discovery Sport 15 Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Discovery Sport 15 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Rated: 9.2/10 Based On: 5 Reviews

Discovery Sport 15 Canoe by Old Town Canoe

Length: 15' 3" - Width: 40.0" - Starting at: $1599.99
See More Details about this Canoe
Old Town Canoe Logo

08-29-2012
Submitted by: MikeSend Email

Bought this for a trip to Grand Mesa, Colorado, and various other small lakes around northern Arizona. Two old fat guys felt safe and stable fishing in the Discovery Sport 15. I was skeptical of any kind of canoe, but this little boat is as advertised, super stable. I'd call it the ideal small family fishing boat. My only real complaint is the weight. Loading and unloading it from the top of the shell on my truck was a chore. Since I've gotten home I tracked down a trailer and made this package the ideal flat water fishing rig. A little more problem to travel with but worth the extra trouble to not load and unload it from 6 feet in the air. Doable with help, but a real a$$ breaker for one old fat guy.

11-13-2009
Submitted by: KeithSend Email

This is THE canoe for flatwater hunting and fishing. The keel keeps it from spinning like a top with every breeze. Very stable for a canoe, handles rough water and boat wakes with ease. Yes it is heavy, that is because it a deeper hull than most canoes. I would much rather be out in this than a smaller canoe in cold-weather conditions. I load/unload it by myself in the bed of a pickup without much trouble. I currently use a trolling motor on it, it tracks straight and turns easily.

04-02-2005
Submitted by: TroySend Email

I put mine on top of a minivan and haul it everywhere. You can load it on top, solo; it takes some effort, but if you're reasonably fit, you can do it. I like this boat/canoe. The 17, I think, is too much to handle, solo, loading it on the minivan. That is where I draw the line.

03-04-2005
Submitted by: CCSend Email

It is stable enough for hunting and fishing. But it is heavy. I wish I bought the 17' model because there's no much difference between 110 lbs and 119 lbs. And longer canoe is better for poling. Yes you can pole it in shallower water (<6') which is much better than paddling. The 3.5hp outboard (27 lbs) will make it moving at 10 mph.

08-02-2001

15', Deep Green, Square Back, Crosslink 3. We chose this canoe for its stability. We can put our young children in it and it is always stable. The square back allows easy use of a small trolling motor, which makes it easier and faster to rush back to shore when the kids demand it!

I would have rated it a 10 for our purposes, except: It is really very heavy. Forget hoisting on the car solo. I am considering a trailer, because it takes so much out of us to lug it on and off. I would have paid more money if they made this model in a lighter material. The next canoe will be lighter, even if we must trade some stability. Once it is in the water, it is a joy for three or two and two kids.