Product Reviews > Kayaks > Prijon > Odyssee Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Odyssee Kayak by Prijon

10-12-2007

3 years ago my wife and I went looking for a Tandem suitable for coastal cruising and easy to mount on the roof of our Camry and bought a Prijon Odyssee. We've had it out on the Maine Coast, Long Island Sound/Bays, the Magothy River/Chesapeake Bay, and our lake in the Catskills and this kayak has met our needs perfectly. But it's not for everyone.

The cockpits are small, a 28.5x15.5 keyhole with 12 inch height. I'm 5-10, 180, and I'm snug as a bug in a rug. My wife at 5-6, 135 hops in and out. I could use a shoehorn. Leg room is tight for me with the key hole cockpit and I need to be able to pull out every two hours or so but we do that anyway. The boat definitely needs the rudder in wind or any kind of chop. While I take it out solo on the lake, I'd never do so on the Sound because the bow rides high in the water with only one person in back. The boat has a flat bottom making for shallow draft. Because of this the bow tends to ride up on waves more than a foot or two rather than plow through. It also surfs like a board in a heavy following sea. I think its a blast.

With two paddlers in synch we have no problems keeping up with the 17' glass and kevlar boats in our club. One person really has to work to get this baby up to speed. Storage is fine for day trips. Hatches are double covered, Polypropylene over Neoprene and dry. We're missing the neoprene cover to the rear hatch and get an ounce or two of water in with a two foot chop or better. But that's what dry bags are for.

All in all, its been a great boat that meets our needs perfectly. Anything much heavier would be difficult for us to lift on the roof and I don't know if I'd cartop anything over 17 1/2 feet. If you're interested in the Odyssee, look at the Prijon Excursion. This model replaces the Odyssee. It's one foot longer and the room is added to the cockpits. Unfortunately, its also heavier. I don't know that we could have found a better tandem for cartoping up and down the East Coast for coastal cruising.

07-07-2007
Submitted by: Will GordonSend Email

I've been out in this boat more then a few times, and taken a few beginners. The cockpit is not as big as I would like, and there isn't much storage. Works great with one or two people, a little tippy for two beginners though. All in all, good boat, I wish it had more storage and I could go on a few day trip.

09-05-2006
Submitted by: f dSend Email

great boat, great solo or with another person. i don't know what some of the others are talking about but i can put on alot of gear and the boat is fairly quick. the dry storage is great, plenty of space and it really stays dry. i don't have the optional rudder but it handles well with out it. i would like to put a rudder on it though...i'm sure it will be that much more fun. i would assume a rudder would be a great help on the ocean or fast moving water.

i give it a 8 because it could be a bit more comfortable and a bit more stable but i think in time i will master it without much of a problem. i would recommend this boat to anyone but a beginner. some experience is necessary.

05-02-2002
Submitted by: kline

Slightly more boat than a typical 'recreational' tandem. Not enough for real touring. Not enough storage. Rudder is a must in wind or waves. I disagree with the previous comments about speed (simple physics: wide=slow). I have never been in a slower boat. Still, it is a fun boat. Okay for touring with big groups where others can carry gear. Beware in rough water. Broadside waves are brutal considering the width of this boat (27"). Also: Don't let the flat bottom fool you, You must hang this boat! It will get flat if stored on ground.

09-06-2000

Very comfortable, fast boat for it's length(16'). The down side is little storage, week long trips are out of the question.

01-03-2000

Plastic Tandem. Tested at Retailer. I am novice. It seemed stable, fast, and responsive in Buyou. I could easily paddle with my 10 year old relaxing in front. Did not need the built in rudder but used it to test. Seemed okay. Easily kept ahead of singles. Did not buy because I wanted more storage space. I want enough room for a tent. It seemed very tight for this but I think it would be great for day trips. Recommend.

01-03-2000
Submitted by: RGE

Great boat for solo with front cover or to take large dog or wife (120 lbs). Good secondary stability and tracks well for such a short boat. Rudder effective in high wind or uneven paddlers. Love this boat. Fun to play in James River flatwater and bay.

Backwater Paddle Company: