Product Reviews > Kayaks > Ocean Kayak > Frenzy Add Your Review Now!

Reviews for Frenzy Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Rated: 8.84/10 Based On: 50 Reviews

Frenzy Kayak by Ocean Kayak

Length: 9' 0" - Width: 31.00" - Starting at: $459.99
See More Details about this Kayak
Ocean Kayak Logo

07-17-2014

I have owned the Ocean Kayak Frenzy for 5 years and it has proved a great all around SOT. The Frenzy is a very wide boat at 31' which contributes to its great stability, but it does take up a lot of space on the roof rack. I've had it in the surf, near shore, marshes, slow moving rivers, whitewater (up to class 2), lakes, ponds, etc., and it does perform surprisingly well in all of these applications with minor limitations... I've even used it as a swim platform allowing me to get out for a quick swim and climb back in fairly easily.

There are 4 scupper holes that allow drainage, two in the seating area and two near your feet. If you're on calmer water and don't want a wet ride I use foam practice golf balls to plug the scuppers. There is an open storage area at both bow & stern with bungees to secure the load. The Frenzy is a great boat for all skill levels and sizes since it's easy to get in/out and the max weight capacity is 325 pounds. Multiple foot welds can accommodate all leg lengths comfortably and I do recommend purchasing the seat with backrest to improve comfort. I'm 248 pounds and 6' and it is very comfortable. On the other end of the spectrum my 8 year old nephew can also easily navigate. At 9' long it turns on a dime and tracks decently on the flats with the tri-hull design. As with any SOT, it can be blown around during windy conditions, but manageable. The weight is 44 pounds, so again reasonable to move around and load with the two pull handles at each end of the kayak.

The only reason I give it a 9 instead of 10 is a dry storage area and side carry handles would be nice additions. I highly recommend this for any age/size of person who wants a great boat that'll accommodate a large range of on water activities for a reasonable price.

07-09-2014

Not for speed, but surely takes abuse! I have had my Frenzy for 14 yrs it's been in lakes, rivers, bay, ocean and any amount of water i can get her in. She isn't to clean and her bottom gets dragged. Very stable have never flipped and never got a hole like a different brand that a friend sank in! If ever she would have to be replaced maybe it would just be a different color. not for racing but i always feel very safe when boats send large wake at me.

07-02-2014

This kayak is an absolute must! I have been kayaking for 14 years with my Frenzy and if anything happened to it I would have to replace it with another Frenzy. It is stable in lakes, rivers, bays and the ocean. I am 51 years old and I can load it in the back of my car on my own. It is been outside for the past 14 years and it has faded a bit (I have the blue one.) but that should be expected. I have tried other kayaks over the years and this one is the most stable. It isn't the fastest kayak if you are interested in racing but it certainly is the most stable. I bought my boyfriend a Frenzy too. He loves it! I have friends who have other brands and Ocean is certainly the way to go. It is very durable. I give this kayak 5 stars!

12-01-2013

This is a great boat to have for lots of family fun. We keep it at our beach house for use in the ocean and have also taken several rivers with rapids. Responsive and stable and light enough for my daughter to carry, tons of fun for the whole family.

07-24-2013
Submitted by: Nate R. Mitchell

Hello everyone who is looking at all these reviews including my own, I think you should stop looking at other kayaks and just buy this one and here below are my reasons why you should.
  1. It's great on the wallet.
  2. Very stable. (When my Frenzy first arrived, I put it in my pool and rocked back and forth really fast inside of it and it just would not flip unless I leaned completely over to one side, but then it turns so slowly that you can easily right yourself on it before it flips.)
  3. It has a great weight capacity. (The Frenzy has a 325 pound weight capacity, but speaking from experience, just recently my brother and his girlfriend took it out in the big body of water behind the house and they together weighed at least 350 pounds and it stayed afloat.)
  4. It's compatible. (What I mean by that is its so easy to put accessories on it, all you need is a 100% silicone adhesive and you drill a 1/8 inch hole in it depending what your screwing in 'by the I totally recommend stainless steel screws over rivets' put a good amount of the adhesive on the hole and spread some under the attachment and then in the hole it has and screw it in with a handheld screwdriver because a automatic one can strip the screw and damage the hull, let I sit for a day and your ready to use your own attachment.
  5. It's great on all bodies of water except maybe high class three rapids.(I have taken it in the waves at New Smyrna beach and the waves are pretty big down there like 4,7 feet high on average usually, and I only flipped twice because I was side by side with the wave not paying attention and it doesn't sling you out it just slides you out, I have also taken it out on a big body of water with a slightly strong current and it tracked amazingly.)
  6. As you just read it tacks extremely well. (Which means if your just floating in the river, creek, lake, or ocean 'once you break through the surf' you don't have to paddle furiously on one side just to stay straight on the current.)
  7. The kayak is only 38, or 42 pounds so that means its easy to lift. (It does seem heavier but it's only because it's bulky.)
Those are only a few good things about this kayak, so as you just read, if you're a beginner kayaker this is great kayak for a beginner or a pro (By the way its extremely good at surfing.) and here is my last bit of advice, if you want some support for your back if your going to be out there all day you should get the Ocean kayak comfort pro seat, its totally worth the money and it's just great on your back, and I would also recommend a shoreline marine tech paddle, don't get one of those cheap off brand paddles, they are flimsy and break easily, well I hope this review has been great for you, if your just using this boat to get peace and leisure I hope you have calm waters, if you use it for fishing Tight Lines.

07-24-2013

I have owned a Frenzy by Ocean Kayak for over 10 years. At the time, I was the only one on the Intracoastal area of Perdido Key, FL to own a kayak! This kayak has been a very good investment. I ride at least 3 times weekly and take longer rides on the weekends.

This kayak has handled surf, wake from huge barges, dolphins breaching all around me, all while carrying my Jack Russell Terrier on board (as masthead!). VERY stable kayak. Very versatile. Have flounder gigged from this boat, though it is not what is now considered a "fishing" kayak. She's not the prettiest kayak on the water after all these years, but has never lost any of its durability. All parts are still attached and have lived in salt-water conditions, without a cover, for over 10 years with no rusting or decay.

A very good kayak for those who want to ride the surf or any water with a tide. Does not ride well in still water, as it is built for surf. LOVE IT -- would rate it 1000 if I could! Would never sell this kayak. Have bought a couple more over the years, including an inflatable when I didn't live ON the water and have never been as happy with any others as I have been with the Frenzy.

11-29-2012
Submitted by: dave sSend Email

Purchased the kayak for surfing southern California as an addition to my longboard. The Frenzy will catch any surfable wave and as long as you stay perpendicular as the surf breaks you won't get dumped even in larger waves. Lots of fun... very forgiving especially when punching out thru the surf line!

11-12-2011
Submitted by: David HewettSend Email

I have a Frenzy kayak and I think it is great. Stable in choppy water and fast enough to enjoy the scenery of Mosman Bay and bays around Taronga Zoo. Easy to load into my van and unload

09-07-2011

Being a sailor since I was 11 - I am 54 now - and having a fully equipped Malibu Two XL to ride with my wife on lakes and rivers, I bought the Frenzy as the Malibu is two big to put it alone in the top of my car - not too heavy but too big - and because I go often paddling alone and although I think the Malibu XL is a great performer on solo paddling, I wanted something smaller, practical and good on the sea - the main spot I navigate with my Frenzy, is in the Atlantic coast of Porto (Portugal) a spot I know very well due to sailing and windsurfing.
  1. Size does matter: it's a charm to put the Frenzy on top of the car and to carry it all the way in the beach on it's trolley ( it's a big beach ); also because it is sooo small, it behaves quite nicely on the waves;
  2. For me it's almost a "dry" kayak, as even with fresh breeze, the only water it gets inside is due to the waves hitting the bow and splashing inside but getting out in an instant due to the well positioned scupper holes; with the back seat, it's even more comfortable although I think is also comfortable without the seat, as it is well sculpted in that part of the boat.
  3. Good tracking unless we crank on the paddles and if so, it seems a nutty kayak with high left to right motion; however if we get the right pace and the right effort, itīs a great tracker, very stable and safe;
  4. It's not fast but...it's not slow either. Besides, who buys a Frenzy to enter a race? I like it as it is: calm, friendly, a no hurry kayak. And it surfs great on the waves, really great:)
All in all, a great kayak to enjoy the sea (never tried it in rivers or lakes) and it's a great companion to a well spent day on the beach. I just like my Frenzy and it's simplicity and rugged construction. A no-frills kayak which performs quite well in any situation.

08-23-2011

After watching my twin 8 year olds paddle our sit-in kayaks and kicking butt, we decided it was time we all had a boat. I spent quite a lot of time researching and comparing, and decided we'd try some sit-on-top boats for various reasons.
  1. We already have 3 sit-in rec boats for myself, wife and oldest daughter (10).
  2. For the little ones, we wanted ultra steady, no potential for getting stuck in them if they capsize with mini-monkies in them.
  3. To try our hand at surfing some waves!
My wife and I took them out on the Assabet River for their maiden voyage two days ago. We were blown away by how much we liked the Frenzies! So much so, that we've decided the kids can have the Perceptions, because we're taking the Ocean Kayaks! We got them through REI after looking everywhere for them in a package with a seat and paddle.

The pros:
1. With the clip in seat, they are even more comfortable than our sit-ins.
2. I love the simple foot braces, allowing you to adjust your foot position as desired without having to fiddle with adjusting sliders, etc.
3. They float even higher in the water, and even though they are sit-on-top kayaks, they have a nice "pocket" to sit in.
4. Incredibly stable, almost impossible to capsize. I hear people dive off them!
5. They track just fine IMO, without too much left to right motion, unless you are cranking... and it happens with our Perceptions too.
6. We jokingly rammed each other to see what would happen, and they hardly moved, and definitely didn't tip. Good news if the kids or us hit something like a hidden rock, etc.
7. The keel line and short length helps keep it straight and allows for quick and easy turns.
8. Without the scupper plugs (at least on the river), barely any water got in the boat, and with the scupper plugs, almost no water, aside from water from our paddles and horsing around.

Cons:
1. They are pretty bulky, and harder for me to load and unload myself onto the roof of my Nitro and off again. They are only 4 pounds heavier than our Perceptions, but it feels like more.
2. The keel line makes it fit strangely on the Hull A Port racks on my car, and the 15' Thule straps weren't big enough to fit the boats! I had to thread them through the scupper holes to get them home from REI!
3. The handles on the sides seem like with any rough pulling would snap off, but only time will tell.....if we treat them well, I'm sure they will be fine.
4. Coming to shore with the keel line is awkward, because you end up tipping to one side as you beach it.
5. They are LOUD when there is any sort of current or waves. For the person on the kayak, it doesn't seem too loud, but when you are next to another Frenzy, you can hear it! The water slaps the hull when the water is anything less than glass.
6. They are not too fast.

Overall, even though there are cons, I was playing devil's advocate for the sake of the review. All of the cons are dealable.

1. I can handle the extra weight, and it's totally easy with another person.
  2. I'm going to try a stacker with cradle stops for a better fit.
  3. Will take it easy on the handles.
  4. Will embrace the tipping when beaching.....good practice for balance.
  5. Really not that loud, especially if you stop paddling. My wife and I snuck up to 2 swans by paddling gently and coasting right up to them.
  6. Who cares about speed? I'm in it for the hang and fun, not the race. Humans tend to race through life instead of living in the now. Plus, if the kids use the Perceptions which are faster, we'll have a more even playing field!
Today, my friend Sean and I took the Frenzies out to Plum Island in Newburyport MA to try some ocean kayaking and surfing. It was amazing! This is where the Frenzies really soar, on the ocean with waves. We trekked out at the beach and hooked right to the wildlife sanctuary where beach goes were not allowed. We hit some great waves, and got thrashed by the surf! Some of the waves were so big, they totally spilled us on the beach, rolling the yaks over the top of us. We laughed the whole time, immediately going out for more.

The Frenzies turned quickly to catch waves that surfaced, and they were great trudging out through the surf. Very easy to get back on when you spill further out too.

Go get one, you'll be happy. For the money, it's a stable, awesome boat.

06-27-2011
Submitted by: J OSend Email

Just bought a used Frenzy for paddling around Okanagan Lake and some alpine lakes in the mountains. Never had a kayak before and have never had more fun. I'm 200lbs and it does wonderful on the choppy lake and also when its calm. I love it. Highly recommended!! And to think I was going to buy a canoe!

05-24-2011
Submitted by: Siesta GalSend Email

I just got my Frenzy and I Love It. It's a great starter kayak, not to costly and easy enough for a lone women to handle. I have a small pickup that it goes in the back of. Not sure if I could put it on top of a car if it did not have husbands help. Little heavy but not too heavy. Great made product that's also a lot of fun. May have to work (paddle) a bit to keep it straight but that's not a big deal at all. Really fun and easy.

01-27-2011
Submitted by: D. BirdSend Email

The OK Frenzy is a good example of why you need more than one kayak. It is not designed for long distance flat water paddling like you might do on a lake or saltwater flats. Youíll wear yourself out trying to keep it heading straight. If you need a kayak for stalking red fish, the Frenzy is not for you.

Where the Frenzy shines is on moderate whitewater (say class II up to mild class III) and in the surf. Its short size and rockered hull make it easy to turn, and it rides up and over waves very easily. It's also a good choice for smaller paddlers and kids. Just keep in mind the hull is fairly wide and smaller paddlers may have trouble reaching the water.

The Frenzy has limited storage options and limited weight capacity, so it's not the best choice for people doing multi-day camping or those that like to load up on gadgets. Larger paddlers may find the seating area a bit confining too.

I have 2 Frenzies and both have stood up well to abuse. The hull is stiff and not particularly prone to punctures or cracking. Scupper holes are not vulnerable to rocks or other hazards like many other kayaks in the OK line up.

The Frenzy has been a good, no frills kayak. Great for getting kids involved in kayaking, and a lot of fun in the surf. Used for the right purposes, youíll be happy with it and the price wonít break the bank. I give it 7 out of 10 because the fact is, there are better general purpose kayaks on the market the will fit a wider range of uses much more effectively than the Frenzy.

01-13-2010
Submitted by: MJpaddle

Very stable kayak, easy to maneuver. Does not track straight as a result of it being short. Not a universal fit due to the seat being deep and narrow, not for wide hips. Loud when water hits the hull, which scares the wildlife. The whole point of kayaking is to be quiet so you can see more wildlife. Also very wet, scupper holes in the seat well let in a lot of water. I have not had that problem with other sit-on-tops. You get what you pay for, cheap boat leads to low expectations.

03-11-2009
Submitted by: kathieSend Email

I love our Frenzy ! What a great boat to put kids and beginners in! We live in Florida so we get a lot of company, every body wants to kayak put few know how, we can put them in the Frenzy without having a 911 kayaking day. It's not my favorite boat for myself, the seat is a little tight and the hull slaps the water and frightens the wildlife but it also lets the gators know you are there.

This boat is short which is both good and bad, easy to transport and store, does not track as straight as a longer boat but still pretty good for a 9 footer. I like the stability of this little boat, when we first got it I took it out in shallow flat water and tried to roll it and I could not. That makes it the perfect kids boat as far as I'm concerned. The Frenzy, like all Ocean brand kayaks is extremely well made and the price is reasonable, I would buy another one if we had a bigger garage.

08-13-2008

I had a chance to paddle this kayak while on vacation in Key West. I had a ball paddling and fishing in it, although it was cut a little short by heavy rain, that's Florida for ya.

I easily got in and out of the kayak while on the flats. She is fairly easy to paddle although isn't a rocket while in the water, but I didn't need to get anywhere in a hurry. It was a dry ride, until the rain come, although the scuppers did a fairly good job at draining the water that poured in.

The only reason I gave it a 9 was because it liked to wander while you paddled, didn't surprise me for such a small kayak. While I would never buy this kayak for serious paddling, if all you had to do was paddle a mile or less you may want to give this fun and affordable kayak a test drive, well test paddle that is.

07-28-2008
Submitted by: Dave

I have paddled several kayaks over the years including an older Scrambler, Cobra (yuk!), Yak and the Frenzy and I primarily surf them at Pismo, CA. The Scrambler tends to nose dive on bigger curling waves and is tough to keep perpendicular to the wave. The Yak is much more forgiving and maneuverable but is so wide you tend to bang the sides with the paddle. It also does not track well when you need to cover some water.

The Frenzy I bought is AWESOME for ocean surfing! At 5'11" and 220# I was worried that being 2' shorter than my Scrambler it would not carry my weight. It was even better because my Scrambler tends to leak water through the hatches and get heavy after an hour of surfing. The Frenzy cut through the surf on the paddle out with very little bow slap. It was easy to turn and took very much less effort to catch waves than either of the other boats. Curling close out waves were no problem because I could lean all the way back keeping the nose up and get ahead of most of the breaking surf behind me.

Maneuvering the boat on the wave and in the surf was really great and was able to make turns and steer most times without paddle assistance using my knee straps to lean. I rarely had to brace when caught in the churning surf. The extra width over the Scrambler made it much more stable and still easy to paddle without side contact. I highly recommend knee straps and a paddle leash for surfing. I bought mine as a package at Sports Chalet on sale and that was the only additional equipment I needed. This is a great value!

05-26-2006
Submitted by: MGSend Email

I bought this kayak used for one reason to fish for tarpon off the east coast of florida. I was able to make it outside the break farley easily in 3-4ft seas. I only got dumped twice. Once coming in in 4 ft seas, lost some gear and once throwing a cast net. As for stability: I could stand and throw a 6 foot cast net in the river. THere is a lot of hull slap and paddles fast enough but not nearly as fast as other kayaks designed for speed. It is farley light especiall if your going to be carrying it any distance by comparison. It is akward to carry, dont even bother using without a seat, and has very limited storage. If you wiegh more than 160lbs and I would buy something bigger. As for tarpon I have brought fish around 100lbs to the boat, I have sold mine and will buy something that provides more storage to avoid losing gear in the surf.

04-19-2006
Submitted by: SJSend Email

Awesome boat, bit of hull slap when choppy but I use mine as a fun boat in rough cornish coastal waters and find it stable giving me confidence and energy to get out there, awesome boat for the surf, a must buy for fun, next step a prowler 13 for camping. Well done Ocean Kayaks, great boats.

09-08-2005

My friend (5'8" 105kg) and I (5'4" 64kg) have a Frenzy each. We took them out on a flat lake for our first trip. I wanted to see how stable it was so I rocked it from side to side really fast and hard and I was surprised how it didn't tip me out at all.

Others have said it's not fast and it's not. It's not that bad though, especially on the lake it was fast enough.

After that we took it to a harbour and explored around a bit. I guess with the harbour being so big it made the paddling seem a little slow... we were going just over two miles an hour... that included some ocean swell and a tiny bit of chop. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think it tracks very straight and felt safe and stable. I can carry heaps of gear on the back and on the front. With two of us sharing the load there's plenty of room to carry our camping gear.

We have the seat with back support. I have bought scupper plugs for under the seat but haven't tried it out yet... that will be this weekend. I also bought some cheap slim deck chair cushions and sewed a vinyl cover for them and will put that under the seat too. Will find out this weekend how much drier we can stay.

All in all I can't wait to go kayaking each weekend.

08-22-2005
Submitted by: gomesSend Email

Very nice to handle, easy to transport but very slow.

06-12-2005
Submitted by: TMSend Email

I bought my Frenzy about 4 month's ago and have been out on it about 2 dozen times in both fresh and salt water. It is pretty stable and I can maintain a pace of about 4 to 5 miles an hour while rowing. It track's well and turn's alright about 3 strokes for a 180 turn. The longest I've paddled is about 5 miles with no problems. We stop at a lot of secluded beaches to explore (I live in the San Juan's) and because the Frenzy only displaces about 7 inches of water for me (5' 10" 215), I can paddle right up to the shore, stand up and walk up to the beach. Try doing that in a sit in kayak

I've got 3 buddies 2 of whom have now bought Frenzy's, the other bought a Malibu Two because his wife wanted a tandem. Your butt will get wet from the two scupper holes underneath you although I've never gotten cold from the 45 degree Puget Sound water for two reason's I have a padded seat and a 3/4 inch foam rubber gardening mat both highly recommended this also helps in eliminating sore backs. All in all if you want to get an all purpose kayak that won't break the bank go with the Frenzy, Happy Paddling!!!

06-01-2005
Submitted by: MarlaSend Email

I bought my husband a Frenzy mainly because of size and cost. He likes to surf in it, and fish in some of our local bayous. We live in an apartment and the Frenzy is stored out on our porch area. Well, after a while having one kayak just wasn't very fun, so I started looking at them. I am 5'7'' and 125 lbs, and frankly the Frenzy is too wide for me. I hate leaning over the sides to paddle. Plus, I wanted a little bit straighter tracking, but still wanted to be able to catch a few small waves. I read lots of reviews and finally decided to get the OK Scrambler. This boat still fits on our apartment porch, and the 3" difference in width is SOOO much better to me. My husband thinks it's too tipsy for him, but I've only flipped it once, going through rapids on a river. I'm very happy with my selection, so I'd say both and Scrambler and the Frenzy are worth it!

05-22-2005
Submitted by: JBSend Email

1st of all I want to say if u want a kayak that is for flat water paddling and u want a fast 1 then I suggest that u do not purchase this kayak. It is a great kayak for surfing because thatís what it is made for. I give it an 8 because it can do what ocean kayak says it can. I recently paddled this down Alexander springs and many other springs here in Florida and u really have to work hard to get it going. So I give it an 8 for what it can do but if u want a boat for speed then donít get this 1.

05-16-2005

I've had this boat out in all kinds of conditions - chop, flat, surf. It surfs pretty well.

Surf - It's very easy to keep the nose from diving in. I made some drops with it that I didn't think I would make on some late takeoffs. It basically goes straight - the keel makes it very difficult to turn, so you're not going to be carving the face in this one.
Chop - doesn't handle it very well at all. It's like paddling a tub. Nose doesn't exactly cut through the water.
Flat - fun, but slow.
Overall - only real complaint is that the seat is very narrow. I don't consider myself a fat person w/ 11.3 % body fat, but the seat is uncomfortable even for me. Side handles would also be nice to make it easier for one person to handle.

10-02-2004

This is a great stable SOT YAK especially for the price. It's incredibly stable, it surfs well, paddles well (although not fast) and can hold quite a bit of cargo. For an all around SOT for under $400- this takes the cake. It is very comfortable with an added seat and well laid out. From the tank well/storage in the rear to the cargo in the front both with bungees and a Max weight of up to 325 this YAK can carry it all. The scupper holes work great when in rough water or surfing, but get plugs for lake/calm paddling otherwise you get wet for no reason. The only reason I gave it a 9 was because it didn't come with a drink holder or side carry straps.

05-10-2004
Submitted by: TMK

This is a great kayak given what it is meant to be. I bought my Frenzy in 2002 for my three kids to play with afternoons at the lake. They LOVE it. SOmetimes its a Kayak, sometimes its just a portable swim platform. It is not a boat for an adult unless you are very petite, I am 5'11" and 225lbs, fuggetaboutit! My wife is 5'8" and weighs [CENSORED]lbs. (its a LOT less than me), she does OK on the boat. The boat is indestructable. Last summer, I forgot to lock the rachets on my rooftop carrier and the boat blew off the car to my horror. We were moving along at a pretty good clip, NO DAMAGE save a couple very minor scratches and my own fractured ego. Don't buy this Kayak if you are expect to spend hours paddling long distances! My wife and I also have an OT 138T which we will occassionally paddle alongside 1 of the kids, always great family fun. My rating of 9 is given in the context of what this boat was intended for. God Bless and paddle safely!

05-06-2004
Submitted by: JohnT

you can do to improve the comfort of a Frenzy is to buy a seat for it. Without the seat, it's too narrow for my hips/buttocks and my back gets worn out quickly. With the seat, I can paddle all day. So - if you get a Frenzy and find it uncomfortable, try it with a seat. It's great fun surfing and as a fishing platform.

04-07-2004

This was the first kayak I purchased and I bought it more because of its size and cost. The bottom line is that it is what it is and not meant for any kind of long distance paddling. If you're going to go short distances or fishing in a small lake or stream, then this is the kayak for you. However, when I tried to use it long distance on the Connecticut River, I was unable to keep up with my kayaking buddies who all had longer, better tracking kayaks. Also, at the end of the day when I was coming back and struggling with the current, I found the Frenzy flopping on top of the river. As a result, I ended up selling my Frenzy to a guy who was looking for something small for his young son. I'm sure it will be put to good use. As for me, I just purchased a Scupper Classic (the Frenzy's big brother) and I can't wait to get it in the water.

01-30-2004

Hello! This is my first kayak and I can say I had a lot of fun with it. It is very stable on the waves but not so great for touring. Also, it is very hard to control on the surf but you can still use it to ride waves or to exercise. To make it short, if you want to get on the ocean when nobody else dares to, this is the kayak for you.

08-14-2003

I just started kayaking and rented several kayaks with no problem(since I am a large person I was afraid that it would be a problem). I had a ball and enjoyed kayaking so I went out and bought a kayak, a Frenzy, It is very nice, fits great on top of the car but even though I am below the weight limitations it is not meant for anyone that is thick in the bottom. It is very uncomfortable within 1\2 hr my lower back is in knots from the way you have to sit. Not only does you back and thighs hurts you also strain your shoulders and arms from the unnatural way you sit when you paddle. And even though I only used it once( and that was for 1 1/2, when I asked to exchange it for a different type of a kayak that I would be better fitted for the manager refused to take the boat out. Until I read this product review page I did not know that there are some dealer/stores that let you try them out. I am very unhappy and extremely upset with the store. Hopefully, when I talk to the owner tomorrow he will be a little understanding. SO A WORD TO THE WISE, BE SURE THE KAYAK YOU ARE BUYING IS RIGHT FOR YOU. Since I am really new at this and am in a boat that does not fit I really can not tell you if it is good or not as far as the other issues go.

04-29-2003
Submitted by: DD

My main reason for purchasing the Frenzy was size, I can only fit a 10'6" kayak in my elevator. Used primarly for scuba diving I found that it works fine when the ocean is flat. But get 2-3ft and forget about it. Everytime the kayak drops down into the swell it loses all momentum. It is more of a play/surf kayak than anything. Tracking is not the greatest and the hull slaps when it is choppy.

01-29-2003

I never reviewed the Frenzy before? I've had it for over four years. If you don't surf, don't buy this boat. This boat is VERY slow and if you need to paddle any distance at all over mile or two, try a Scrambler instead. It is also going to be wet if you are over 150#. I am a little over that myself and it is always wet, even with scupper plugs.

BUT it does one thing pretty well. It surfs. It surfs better than the Scrambler. It is very stable in the surf, and catchs waves other surf boats can't. The displacment hull does not allow advanced trix, but for just surfing for fun it is a great starter surf boat. Not a lot of control so don't try it at Steamer Lane or other crowded breaks. It gets no respect in the lineup. BUT when no one is watching, I would rather just kick it and surf the Frenzy.

The other thing it can do is fish the small Sierra Nevada lakes for trout. The high country lakes are so small even the Frenzy can cover them is short time. Plenty of stabilty for light fresh water fishing.

09-11-2002

I rented a Frenzy at Lake Five Resort in Montana and had a ball with it. I had never before tried a sit-on-top kayak before this trip (where I also rented a longer, two-seater Ocean Kayak; I forget the model) ... I didn't like the idea of sitting on top, rather than inside, the boat. But the Frenzy changed my mind. I found it fast, responsive, and lots of fun to paddle in a lake setting. As others have mentioned, it's best as a warm-water boat since you will get some water on deck.

08-21-2002

I bought the Frenzy today, It is my first boat. I bought a St Crox by mad river canoe today as well. I bought the frenzy used and it is the best $300 I have ever spent. I love the boat, however it is a toy. It does lack back support and is not a good boat for long distances. Also you are sitting in a puddle of water the entire time, so it would not be a good boat for winter. However, the minute I sat in this boat I felt as if I had been paddling my whole life. It is a small light boat so I can load it in my pick-up truck all by myself. All in all this is a great boat and a fun toy.

05-08-2002
Submitted by: JohnSend Email

The Frenzy is a good example of needing to judge a kayak for its intended use. I was visiting another town and wanted to paddle a little, so I rented a Frenzy. I immediately found a severe limitation--speed. But it was not intended to have speed, so I changed my focus from boat to nature and had a good time. Two other complaints were lack of support for my back and alway sitting in water do to the scupper holes.

What is the Frenzy good for? Any paddling where you are not supplying the forward impetus--creeks, rivers, surfing, etc. It would also be good for those who just need a platform for play--a very worthy use. If you want to paddle, look elsewhere; if you want to play, this may be your craft.

08-27-2001
Submitted by: whilhelmSend Email

I've just bought a frenzy and I'm delighted with it. The reviews in here were so positive I kind of knew it would be the right boat for my family. My wife took to it imediately and the kids had great fun paddling about in pools. This is pretty much my first experience of kayaking and that Frenzy board has me hooked. Buy one!

08-24-2001

I chose the Frenzy because of its ease to get in and out of and its stability also. I don't swim well and I'm a bit afraid of the water, but not as much as I used to be now. I've had it since June of this year and love it! I think it is the best 1st boat to get you comfortable out on the water.

08-06-2001
Submitted by: MHSend Email

The Frenzy is my first boat. A local kayak dealer (T.I. Kayaks, Ocean City, NJ) allowed me to demo several boats over two days. I had my choices down to a Frenzy or an Islander Hula. I will be primarily wave surfing. The Hula is smaller and lighter. On one of the days the surf was pretty tame and the Hula worked great. Even as a beginner I was able to cut back and forth a little. The second day the surf was bigger and choppy. I had trouble getting the Hula through the breakers without tipping. Once I started to ride in the waves the Hula would go sideways and I couldn't control it at all. The Frenzy on the other hand is rock solid stable and still pretty managable in the surf. Felt MUCH more comfortable and had NO PROBLEM getting through the breakers in the Frenzy. Once out there could ride the waves and still cut back and forth. Also, tracks very good and can use it for fitness, either in the ocean or bay. Bottom Line: The Frenzy is the best boat for a beginner that I have found.

06-14-2001

First of all, I would like to thank all of those who have posted their reviews of the Frenzy as all of your reviews were a huge factor in my getting a Frenzy. I'm a middle-aged man who has always been very fit and in shape and 4 years ago, I was diagnosed with a very rare, incurable illness whereby my immune system is attacking and destroying all of the cartilage in my body. This causes me great pain, difficulty in breathing along with massive inflammation of all of my joints as well as I can no longer perform any physical activities for any extended period of time such as I am not able to mow my lawn for example (unless I had 4 hours to do what use to take me less than an hour due to frequent stopping to rest).

With that said, I have always been a lover of the water and the beach but I have never kayaked before. On days when I'm feeling well enough, I go to the beach and I see more and more people kayaking as I live on the eastern end of Long Island, NY and we are surrounded by 3 major bodies of water..(The Atlantic Ocean, the Great Peconic Bay and the Long Island Sound). I recently made a decision that as long as I am still breathing that I am going to get myself a kayak and get out there and have some fun so it was important for me to find a kayak I could handle myself, be very stable and easy to paddle...I have been reading reviews on the net such as this one and have looked at over 20 different sit on tops before finally deciding on the Ocean Kayak Frenzy...

Well yesterday I went out in it for the very first time on the Long Island Sound and I must tell you that I'm in heaven. Due to its size I was able to put it in the back of my Ford Bronco, drive down the beach, unload it myself and off I went...I could not get over how a boat under 10' could perform so well...Paddling it was very easy even with my health limitations and I would paddle for a bit and then rest and continue on.

I can't say enough about the Frenzy...The stability of it amazed me and when I came back to shore a few people came over to inquire about it. I highly recommend the Frenzy to anyone looking for their first kayak...Its ease in transporting, the stability, the tracking and the cost ($399.00 from West Marine) makes this what I feel a wonderful and truly great way to go for the first time kayaker And for those of you looking for a kayak for a youngster, I would suggest you let them take a Frenzy out for a test.

I'm 6', 185lbs and this Frenzy fit me like a glove. I did purchase a self-inflating seat as well as the scupper stoppers. I would recommend it for smaller people as well as people my size or even a bit bigger. This again is my very first Kayak and due to my health, I had to really shop around to find something I could deal with for the reasons mentioned and I am so very happy with the Frenzy...I rate it a 10 and finally, before taking it out for the first time yesterday, I had a few questions and I emailed Ocean Kayak and a representative by the name of Diane answered each and everyone of my emails promptly as well as answering and explaining all of the answers to my questions. A top-notch Kayak made by a top-notch company who treats their customers well.

05-22-2001
Submitted by: AdamSend Email

It's not the best fishing vessel, but it works in a pinch. I am 228lb and it has not presented any problems. I have trolled in lakes, carried it to ponds where float tubers previously had the run of the place, and I even explored San Francisco Bay. My weight helps keep to kayak in place when the winds blow. I have only had the kayak for a little over a month. It allowed me to catch a 17.5 lb stripped bass that I otherwise would not have access to. The only knock I have is the lack of deck space. That is to be expected. The kayak is only 9ft. I was able to mount a rod holder on the bow and I will be purchasing a kayak fishing seat soon. Then I will be right up to par with the bigger kayaks, except the frenzy will be easier to transport.

04-18-2001
Submitted by: S.O.T. LOVER

I love it! Perfect for ANYONE. I've let everyone from six year old 55lb. kids to 250 forty-three year olds paddle it. Everyone loved it! GREAT for surfing, also snorkeling (but keep the trip under one mile), nice for fitness.

03-19-2001

I bought a Frenzy for my teenage son after we took a surf kayaking class and had the best success in the Frenzy. He likes to use it in surf and I like to take it out for paddling around by myself just to get excercise and get out on the open water. It is very stable and forgiving, and very easy to transport. My son and I used our tandem kayak and let a Japanese exchange student use the Frenzy this morning. He had never been in a boat before and he was paddling around the bay in the Frenzy with a huge grin on his face, bobbing on the waves, turning at will and keeping up without much trouble. This is a great boat for begginers and knocking around and play in the surf. (Kind of slow if you have a long way to go however.)

03-14-2001

Got mine as a hand me down from a buddie who moved to NY. So far I've taken it oust on some Florida Bay chop and loved its stability. Another great feature is its go any where design short & manuverable. Cargo space is pretty decent for my dry bag and 3 man tent.

12-10-2000
Submitted by: Mike BlockerSend Email

The frenzy is my first kyak and I can't say enough about this boat. Being fortunate enough to live on Florida's Gulf coast, I have put this little 'yak in all kinds of different water conditions from choppy open water to smooth twisty rivers. The tracking is really impressive for it's short length and stability is awesome (I've stood up on it once on a dare). The best part of all is that when I want to load it up, in the back of the truck it goes! The only thing that I don't care for is the soggy backside from the seat scuppers. I had enough one day and siliconed my rear plugs in. Other than that it seems to be a perfect fit.

11-24-2000

I have had my Frenzy for three years, and although I now paddle with friends in a faster boat, I'd rather be in the Frenzy any time I'm alone. It fits in my 8' x 6' interior camper diagonally with a pillow at each end, so loading and unloading takes seconds. it is incredibly stable at 30" wide, and the bow really splits the seas. It is a drier ride than my 15' kayak for that reason. The short length allows for quick turning in seas and surf without the need of a rudder. Get the scupper plugs for calm-water paddling, and use silicone grease on them sparingly so that you can pull the plugs if necessary. OK sells the plugs. I put the optional hatch in mine (easy). Some come with it. It's handy for small items (get an insert bag). The gear straps on bow and stern allow you to carry a dry bag or small ice chest. The stern is better. A great boat for lakes, surf, bays and probably not-too-whitewater (I haven't tried it there). It is not very fast, but for its intended purposes, it's top notch.

06-21-2000

A great all round kayak I'd only had mine a week and I've already rescued 2 Jet-skis off my beach. Easy to transport, easy to paddle, Impossible to sink.

05-17-2000
Submitted by: BruceSend Email

This is one versatile Kayak! From Fishing in bays, lakes and rivers to playing in the surf, this kayak does it all. I can throw it in the back of my truck and go! I beleive it represents the best buy for the money for someone who has many interest. I have other kayaks that perform well for other specific activities, but I find myself using this one alot because I don't have to mess with a rack, I can carry it forever by myself and it is just plain fun. Turns on a dime!

05-11-2000
Submitted by: HeatherSend Email

Great for all types of water. Lots of fun in the ocean and great to learn on. This kayak is very easy to transport and I would recommend it for all ages and experience levels.

12-22-1999

VERY stable, turns on a dime. Great for surf play, comfortable to sit in. If the budget is under $500.00 this one is a great choice! We are buying them for our sons for Christmas, after trying them out. Impressive for children or adults.